FPS Rant from mad person

(Rémy Cabresin) #1

So I’m getting more and more frustrated with how horribly unstable FPS seems to be in this game for me. I upgraded from a 5870 to a 290X two weeks ago in the hopes of increasing it a little bit but I have exactly the same FPS problems with both cards which tells me the problem lies somewhere else but I feel like my i7 920 (1st gen) should have no problems running this on a good FPS(which I consider 120 stable minimum). But it doesn’t. It seems that most of my FPS problems are related to player models/amount of people on a server.

On empty servers and localhost I get my capped 120(uncapped reaches ~200) stable easily, but if I’m on a 5v5 or higher server my FPS goes mental as soon as there are players on my screen and in 7v7 servers my FPS goes mental just being in a server, not even seeing players or having any action happen near me.

Me on alone on server:

Same place, looking at same thing on a 7v7 server this morning:

Both screenshots taken with only Teamspeak and Steam running in the background. I understand that there is ongoing optimization and it having to load more on a full server(playermodels etc) but a ~40 (sometimes while playing it hits even wider ranges going down to 65-70) FPS drop feels like there is just something really wrong somewhere. It wouldn’t be as annoying but it makes my game feel different every time when it comes to mouse movement and it never feels consistent. This morning it frustrated me almost enough to just order a brand new PC. Which if the case is really that my CPU is just not good enough will have to happen but it just feels ridiculous that running with a max FPS config still results in my FPS going full retard half the time. On not that old a system?

Anyway, halp pls.