Servers without pointless mods

(m1dnight) #1

Hi,

I played ET when it was popular and still like it. So I decided to give it another go. However, what I notice is, each damn server downloads pointless mods that make my ET look like a child had fun with crayons.

Is there a way to stop connecting to those server? I can’t seem to differentiate between them?

I would really love to play this game again, but not like this…

Also, there do not seem to be any new pk3 files in my folder so I cant delete the mod. I would be fine with them installing if I could just disable them. Now I cant select the default again, or disable any mods.

(kyle26189) #2

Almost every server has something custom in it regardless if you like it or not. Only ones that are really blank are etpro servers. Anyways theres no real way of telling what each server has untill you actually connect to it.

Current most common mods are Silent, Jaymod, NQ(dead but still around). So look in them folders of your wolfenstein installation folder and you should see extra files with other names. If you’re speaking about the main menu you’ll need to go into your etmain folder and delete the files there, most common files have a bunch of ~~~~~~ in them so pretty easy to see.

You can visit us (trackbase) at http://et.trackbase.net/serverlist/ and find a list of servers there, or i can recommend you my clan server which is dri.deathrowinmates.net:27960

Note: most servers require you to have the same files they have on there server so gl :smiley:

(hellreturn) #3

My simple suggestion: Create 2 installation of ET. Visit all servers and play on each one some time and see if you like it or not. Then go back to first stock installation. Then join the server using \connect IP: PORT command and stick to the server which you liked.

You can create multiple ET installations with just CTRL +C and CTRL +V. Just copy over your etkey, silent.dat or nitmod etkey and you would be good and your XP will be saved.

That’s beauty of ET. Each admin can customize it’s own server and it caters players around the server settings. Good luck customizing TF2 or CS:GO. Pain in da butt on each update.

(ETJump-Zero) #4

cl_download 0 and download the maps/mods from the internet. I don’t think the server forces you to download pointless crap.

(nauseatingpain) #5

[QUOTE=m1dnight;527771]Hi,

I played ET when it was popular and still like it. So I decided to give it another go. However, what I notice is, each damn server downloads pointless mods that make my ET look like a child had fun with crayons.

Is there a way to stop connecting to those server? I can’t seem to differentiate between them?

I would really love to play this game again, but not like this…

Also, there do not seem to be any new pk3 files in my folder so I cant delete the mod. I would be fine with them installing if I could just disable them. Now I cant select the default again, or disable any mods.[/QUOTE]

Hey man if you’re interested in playing vanilla ET I’d be super down. I played for a bit back in the day and I downloaded it again for nostalgia’s sake and ran into the same problem. Maybe we can throw up a server with a few slots or track down an empty vanilla one somewhere. Hit me up on Steam sometime: http://steamcommunity.com/id/exus666

(Mateos) #6

As said earlier, play some ETPro if you’re really after a totally vanilla, these servers for most of them don’t have any custom content.

(diaboliksmart) #7

Will fail because all servers have sv_pure=1

(ETJump-Zero) #8

No. Do research before posting incorrect comments.

(diaboliksmart) #9

What is incorrect ? Having “sv_pure=1” for a public server is more than recommended, it’s like a prerequisite xD

(Dragonji) #10

ETJump-Zero is right. sv_pure requires players to have the same mod that is installed on the server. It does not force to download crappy soundpacks/skinpacks.

(gaoesa) #11

It does force downloading all pk3 files the server references. Unfortunately, it is very common that the crappy menu/skin/sound pk3s are referenced.

(Dragonji) #12

It makes you download all pk3s but does not force to do so. cl_allowdownload 0 and you’re clean.

(Mateos) #13

Are you able to join any modded server with that cvar on 0 then? ^^’

(Dragonji) #14

You didn’t pay attention to what you read Mateos :P. If you install all mods and popular maps on your machine manually, you can visit any server and you will not have to download any other pk3.

(Mateos) #15

Well, I paid attention, maybe too much :stuck_out_tongue:

(diaboliksmart) #16

So I just discover I was wrong with servers having “sv_pure=1” ?
Guys, I’ll try tonight on my server, setting on my client “cl_allowdownload 0”, and will see if my crappy pk3 files (stupids skins and ridiculous sounds of vsays and has-been spreesounds) are needed or not …

Sorry for disturbing a post I didn’t open, I hope ‘m1dnight’ you’ve found the server you like, so many different servers make ET a unique game, strange paradox xD

(gaoesa) #17

If you don’t already have all of the custom pk3s of that server, you won’t be able to connect through to the server. I suppose that is what was asked in the first post. Maybe I should have read the original post in the first place as the later posts looked like people claiming it is possible to join a server without its custom content.

(gaoesa) #18

You’re not wrong about what you think it does. Also, I don’t think the modifications on your server are crappy. It was a crazy server last time I visited it though, but also in a honest way.

(Crytiqal) #19

I just put up some of my servers again, but I think I could use some brushing up on the etpro mapconfigs etc.

to join, simple type
/connect team-aero.org:27960 <-- Pub #01 (Jaymod)
/connect team-aero.org:27961 <-- Pub #02 (RW)

/connect team-aero.org:27962 <-- Propub #01 (ET:Pro)
/connect team-aero.org:27964 <-- Propub #02 (ET:Pro)

/connect team-aero.org:27966 <-- Comp #01 (ET:Pro) (passworded)
/connect team-aero.org:27968 <-- Comp #02 (ET:Pro) (passworded)

On the Jaymod server, you can freely download a few custom soundpacks if you want them, or even a few custom texture packs, but is in no way required to join the server or forced to download.
So you can play on the server without downloading any altering mods, or choose some additions you’d like.
(The server is still sv_pure 1, and only the selected custom files are allowed)

http://server.team-aero.org/downloads/wolfet

Any pointers or questions are appreciated.