Playanim scripting parameters

(No1_sonuk) #1

Quote from the scripting definintions manual:
<Quote>
playanim <startframe> <endframe> [looping forever/duration] [rate FPS]
This will play an animation that the model has. STARTFRAME is the frame number you want to start on. ENDFRAME is the last frame number you want to play. LOOP FOREVER/DURATION is used if you want the animation to loop forever, or for a duration. RATE is used so that you can slow down the FPS.
</Quote>

I’m having trouble working out the “rate” part of this. There doesn’t seem to be an example in the official map scripts of use of the rate parameter.

I have an 18 frame wheel animation that turns too fast.

I’ve got this part:
playanim 1 18 looping forever

But I can’t work out how to change the playing speed short of adding more frames, which I don’t want to do.

Anyone know how to do it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: No1_sonuk on 2002-07-18 13:15 ]</font>

(kat) #2

<font size=“2”>haven’t played with this yet, but can’t you just change the number (18) to a higher value??? (I thought that was what it was for?!)</font>

<font size=“2”>nothing to add your honour… except… maybe quake3bits?? Is that alright??</font size=“2”>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kat on 2002-07-18 16:18 ]</font>

(No1_sonuk) #3

No, that’s the frame number to stop at before starting the loop again. My model only has 18 frames.

(digibob) #4

You arent specifying a rate (FPS), so it’s defaulting to 20fps, i assume you want this lower, at 18, so just supply that.

NOTE: I would seriously suggest not to use this for multiplayer due to how it works.

(No1_sonuk) #5

On 2002-07-18 19:03, djbob wrote:
You arent specifying a rate (FPS), so it’s defaulting to 20fps, i assume you want this lower, at 18, so just supply that.

Duh! I know what to do, but not how it is supposed to put into the script. i.e. the syntax.

NOTE: I would seriously suggest not to use this for multiplayer due to how it works.

Err, why?

(krekits) #6

I don’t get what you’re missing, the syntax is in the manual:
playanim <startframe> <endframe> [looping forever/duration] [rate FPS]

In your case, wouldn’t that be:

playanim 1 18 looping forever rate

where rate wouuld be the number of FPS?

(No1_sonuk) #7

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve tried that.

I had a look through the source code, and my limited grasp of the language leads me to believe that the word"rate" should be in there somewhere.

Indeed, If I put in “playanim 1 18 looping forever rate” without a number, I get the error message that the a rate was expected.

The trouble is, when I put in a number, it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

I’m now thinking I may need to increase the number of frames anyway.

(digibob) #8

Actually, looking at the code… even if you supply a rate, doesnt look like it’s gonna do anything…

(No1_sonuk) #9

I contacted Gray Matter. This is their response:

We actually never got that working to our satisfaction … Usually when we ran into the exact problem your having we just ended up increasing the number of frames in the animation. Played at the normal rate this whould
slow down the movement.

So, looks like you’re right

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: No1_sonuk on 2002-07-21 17:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: No1_sonuk on 2002-07-21 17:30 ]</font>

(cacabunny) #10

RATE: We really did not use rate as it was not as handy as we thought it would be.

Since we have such choppy animations (due to the low amount of frames per animation). So, what you get when you slow down the rate is a pause between each frame. So it doesn’t give the desired look.

(No1_sonuk) #11

Makes some sense I suppose. 20 fps is getting a bit low for smooth, slow animations. I would have appreciated being able to speed it up, though. That would have far more uses.

(sock) #12

On 2002-07-21 17:28, No1_sonuk wrote:
So, looks like you’re right

Wow, I’m glad you are taking our advice with a pinch of salt! :wink:

Sock
3D Brush Monkey

(No1_sonuk) #13

I would have posted that a couple of days earlier, but for some reason I couldn’t get access to the Splash Damage server for a couple of days. Did it go down over the weekend?

(sock) #14

On 2002-07-23 12:10, No1_sonuk wrote:
I would have posted that a couple of days earlier, but for some reason I couldn’t get access to the Splash Damage server for a couple of days. Did it go down over the weekend?

Yeah unfortunately someone/something hacked the server and it was taken down. Hax0r’s must of been bored that weekend … :razz:

Sock
3D Brush Monkey