Combining Merc Abilities

(Protekt1) #1

What if mercs could combo abilities.

Imagine stoker and skyhammer teaming up to drop a napalm airstrike rather than an ordinary one.

Bushwacker and nader construct a grenade turret… oh I’d hate that!

Stoker and aura make a healing deployable that grants ammo and gives fire resistance for a short period of time.

Imagine the possibilities. :stroggbanana:

(Glottis-3D) #2

[QUOTE=Protekt1;526010]What if mercs could combo abilities.

Imagine stoker and skyhammer teaming up to drop a napalm airstrike rather than an ordinary one.

Bushwacker and nader construct a grenade turret… oh I’d hate that!

Stoker and aura make a healing deployable that grants ammo and gives fire resistance for a short period of time.

Imagine the possibilities. :stroggbanana:[/QUOTE]

i suggested something like this a while ago, called it Team-ability.
that had its own long cooldown, but had very strong power - so that team could enforce one flank and make a push.
and the more mercs contributed to this team ability the stronger it was. like a fortress with heal, ammo, turret, mine fields etc.

main point was to marginally shift the state of things on the battlefield (just like powerups in quake shift the battlefield and strategyevey 2 minutes.)
but unlike quake- quad in this idea teams had its team-ability as a trump card, and only they decided when to use it.

Anti even gave a star for me and said it was a nice idea <3

(Szakalot) #3

those can be really cool ideas but they sound super hard to implement properly. Tbh, id raher have more mercs and maps rather than some MOBA-style kamehameha

(shibbyuk) #4

I was gonna say that, sounds like something that would be difficult to implement. Nice ideas, though, a good way to increase depth and teamplay. What we should definitely get is the ability to synchronous ground pound like in Mario!! :wink:

(Szakalot) #5

I honestly think the best way to develop such synergies is by making more sophisticated/better objectives.

E.g. trainyard delivery objective - rather than a person pushing the milkjug into the wall for 5 seconds, why not make a constructible objective on the delivery wall first - after construction of which delivery can be done instantly

a) attacker’s first have to get an engineer to the spot to build a ‘milk jug receiver’: this can be done in multiple tries as construction objectives do not fade
b) once the objective is constructed defense will go into panic mode as delivery now is only a matter of running into the wall with milk
c) defense can set a C4 on the construction to reverse the attacker’s progress: this would create intense 50 seconds time-window during which attacker’s can push and win the map.

Problems with delivery as it is atm. are:
a) person with the milk can’t fight
b) delivery spots are in front of enemy spawns
c) it takes forever to deliver, forcing a very coordinated push (or a steamroll) on pubs which is a very demanding expectation from a bunch of random pub players.
d) delivering person becomes nr1 priority, 90% delivery is attempted the delivery guy just dies, obj lies around for 30 seconds right in front of the wall, attacker’s struggle to hold the front against the onslaught of enemy spawn waves to eventually get pushed back.
e) if delivery person could fight, there would be no need to drop the obj: milk jug would only be dropped upon death:

• less narrator spam 'we got the objective… we dropped the objective… we got the objective… ‘I need ammo’ (some poor guy from 10 seconds earlier)… they’ve returned the objective… deliver the bloody objective!
  • ability to push as a team! atm. if the objective is dropped cause either the person doesn’t feel like carrying it anymore, or they die; the obj just stays there as it is too punishing to try to pick it up, best just kill everyone first: except that you are fighting in enemy spawn, so unless you get lucky timing you will never kill them all.

I would really like objectives that temporarily change the map situation upon completion. ‘hack’ objective that opens a temporary time-window to finish another objective
generator that ventilates a really advantageous passage for a limited amount of time
blow 2 things, which can be repaired if not blown at the same time
‘radioactive’ milk jug that slowly leeches away the HP of carrier- forcing medic support and preferably a big guy to pick it up
‘heavy’ milk jug that slows down all but heaviest mercs, encouraging the slayers to pick it up

Ideas are cheap, i know :stuck_out_tongue:

(neg0ne) #6

nice idea … but no. noway to balance this out.
no way a sniper guided napalm airstrike that gives healthregen to own team and drops mines and nades besides napalm would be … well.

(Ashog) #7

Good idea to test, for example on WC (in addition to reworking totally the final spawn area), but I would still keep also the traditional timed transmit on some other maps like Trainyard.

(Protekt1) #8

As for implementation, I think it could be done by adding 1 additional button. The “synergy” button. You use your synergy button on your teammate and it enhances his ability the next time he uses it within like 10-15 seconds or so. Using the synergy button sets your own ability on cooldown and relies on it being ready. That is the cost of the synergy.

I had a lot of ideas but they were mostly like, “you can combine stoker with X merc to produce fiery deaths”.

(tangoliber) #9

[QUOTE=Protekt1;526077]As for implementation, I think it could be done by adding 1 additional button. The “synergy” button. You use your synergy button on your teammate and it enhances his ability the next time he uses it within like 10-15 seconds or so. Using the synergy button sets your own ability on cooldown and relies on it being ready. That is the cost of the synergy.

I had a lot of ideas but they were mostly like, “you can combine stoker with X merc to produce fiery deaths”.[/QUOTE]

Grrr…“synergy”. Hate that word, and all MBA-speak. :slight_smile:

Dirty Bomb is a game where you “Objectively facilitate installed base strategic theme areas” by “collaboratively transforming leading-edge partnerships”, “authoritatively streamlining functionalized core competencies”, and “uniquely fostering tactical methods of empowerment”.

(INF3RN0) #10

There’s a big thread about this somewhere on here… look through my created threads.

(Protekt1) #11

[QUOTE=tangoliber;526078]Grrr…“synergy”. Hate that word, and all MBA-speak. :slight_smile:

Dirty Bomb is a game where you “Objectively facilitate installed base strategic theme areas” by “collaboratively transforming leading-edge partnerships”, “authoritatively streamlining functionalized core competencies”, and “uniquely fostering tactical methods of empowerment”.[/QUOTE]

I don’t really play MOBAs though. Hearthstone, on the other hand…