Map Spawn Points, Layouts and Progressing/Capping

(spookify) #1

This thread is to open a dialog with the community and SD as to why certain maps layouts, side objectives and fixed spawn points are not being used?

When people were first popping on the game the thought of echo was very exciting. Shaped by Gamers! You can see in this early video that SD is moving spawn placements around… I think instead of moving spawns the map and map paths should be looked at. How did map designers do this back in the early days of RTCW?

The main reason why I started this thread is to address and find out why Attacking and Defending teams Spawn in what is seemingly a RANDOM spot!

There are a few reason why I bring this up:

1. RTCW and Wolf:ET seemingly had a max number of Attacking and enemy spawns. That number was (2)… You basically attack a map in 1 of 2 directions and once captured the Defense then spawns in their final spawn.
  2. Enemy Spawn Pass through. Many many old school maps also have a path for attackers to pass through the enemy spawn making an easier but very risky path. We do not see this in DB.
  3. Progression on both sides… There is only one map in DB where progression is semi fixed and that is Terminal. You have to blow the wall! Yeah I sort of like that! All other progression is random and odd to say the least.
  4. Establishment of spawns. There are no flags to cap to establish a spawn. I have heard SD say that they didnt want to do this… Fine… But do it with your own twist! Example: Instead of a Flag make it a Group Teleportation pad that a merc from either side can change to “polarity” to their teams frequency and color. The Flag cap in ET and RTCW was instant. But in DB I think instead of Instant it should take engys 2 seconds and large mercs 4 seconds to cap aka change the polarity…

#4 is my Fav!

I would also like to bring in this Thread

[QUOTE=prophett;524035]
It’s lacking a lot of features that made ET great;

• flag spawns
  • forward spawns
  • proper doc runs (steal from enemy base and secure mid map)
  • touch steal/return/secure objectives (doc runs and spawn flags)
  • select-able spawns
  • meaningful side objectives (excludes MG builds)
  • command posts

And the more simple things like;

• ability to pick up weapons
  • uni steals
  • team doors
  • helmets
  • player boosts
  • sprint while reloading

The single biggest let down for me is the maps. They are mostly linear and bland that really restrict tactics which makes for boring gameplay.

There are no memorable fighting areas such as the war room on beach, radar cp, upper supply depot hold (last obj.), the goldrush courtyard/bank D, salvage or sewer interior D, etc… due to poor design and absence of some the features mentioned above. I doubt I will remember any parts of the tube on Underground, or the long street you are forced along on Whitechapel (the games best map).

The map design is so restrictive that we can’t even choose to fall back in certain instances because the map won’t let us - terminal wall, fall back to 2nd trainyard objective to properly set up, etc…

It is nice to see some choice being incorporated into maps like Dome, but even those objectives which are a result of months & months of feedback and revisions still need a lot of work. I don’t see that map or any other current map reaching it’s full potential. It’s too bad.

The game will be fun but I can’t see it coming close to many of the games I have really enjoyed over the past years.[/QUOTE]

I know SD doesnt want to remake ET but SD did take a Game Mode “SW” from these games and took out the heart of what made this mode great!!! I am not asking SD to copy these old maps and game modes but learn what made them great and possible add a new SD/DB twist to some of the old side objectives like my #4 list idea about capping a spawn by quickly building aka changing the frequency of the polarization of a teleport spawn platform.

If we use this spawn platform as an example there might be some epic recaps!!

I can also put all of these thing that I just state in an example of a map!
Lets use a versions of Dome that I would like to see:

Stage 1:

• Defense Spawn at the Teleportation Pad and has to guard the two un-blown gates and two un-blown walls. Gates can be remade however walls can not.
  • Offense has to Blow the walls and Gates and cap the tele pad.

Stage 2:

• Defense needs to protect both Radars from being destroyed. Last fall back is Home Defensive Base
  • Attackers need to blow up both Radars. Note: Attackers do not need to Cap the tele Pad! They can by pass this and try and go for the plant!! That is was makes SW maps great!

There is no stage 3!!! Stage two should give a slight advantage to the defenders with the map layout… Possible one way doors from Defense home base into one or both radars. Totally scrap the last stage of Dome please!

In my example above both teams only have 2 total spawns. There is a pass through for the offense if they decide to take it. But if they fail it is a long run back. Progression and side objectives! Check!

Can we now please look at SD weird obsession to take things from allied spawn into the enemy spawn? WC last stage we have to delivery a EMP milk jug into a building with an airport security front down right next to where the enemy spawns with basically only one exit? Did I get that right?

This may should crazy but here is what my WC re-work would look like:

First Flip the Attacking and Defending!!! Yep Crazy I know!

Stage 1:

• Defense Spawn at where the offense used to attack. Defense defends the EV
  • Offense Spawns at or in the Church

Stage 2:

• Defense needs to
  • Attackers need to

I am done with work… Maybe the community can fill in the blanks!?! Remember try to keep it to two spawn ONLY! I have already used 1! Where would you put the second one? I would also like to see a grab and run like ET Frostbite where the attacking team needs to steal and transmit the doc or air lift the goods.
We sort of have this on DB train but why o why would you airlift a data core right outside the enemy spawn!!! Grrrr…

(Szakalot) #2

your post reminds me of an excited dog : P

(Glot) #3

the so called self-moving spawns realy break the map flow. you can not have a plan for this spawn location trigger, you cannot influence the trigger. You are just a dummy, that is put from point A to point B.

Re-introducing the capturable spawns will make the map flow a more solid experience. Teams will have to fight for the spawn, ET/ETQW had some intense stuff on the spawns. And in the same time there will be no questions ‘why the hell did i spawn here? and not there??’
Right now we already have some good places to fight after some OBJ-finished. and defence teams usually start their fights to stop the rush on next object. But then game suddenly says: ‘No guys, you will not defend this point anymore, ill put attackers spawn here, and you’re all dead. Bye bye.’

1. Trainyard second stage spawnpoint at the train wreck
  2. Underground - spawn at the end of the U-turn
  3. Terminal Gates-entrance

self-moving spawn system needs to go.

(ev1ldarks) #4

DB is not intended to be ET or ETQW :slight_smile:

Btw, #4 seems a bit weird, or I misunderstood it ^^

The only thing I really miss is the ability to spawn backward in the map (when possible), so useful when the enemy team is camping at your current spawn… turret powaaaa :s

That, and perhaps more useful secondary objectives, and also hack objectives to make sniper less sniping and more participating at the game !!!

(Glot) #5

[quote=“ev1ldarks;14503”]DB is not intended to be ET or ETQW :slight_smile:

Btw, #4 seems a bit weird, or I misunderstood it ^^

The only thing I really miss is the ability to spawn backward in the map (when possible), so useful when the enemy team is camping at your current spawn… turret powaaaa :s

That, and perhaps more useful secondary objectives, and also hack objectives to make sniper less sniping and more participating at the game !!!
[/quote]

you do realise, that you basically discribe et/etqw features?
=)

(ev1ldarks) #6

Yep :stuck_out_tongue: but only things that (imho) will not break the essence of the game, integrate properly into it, to improve it in the right way ^^

You’ll admit that current secondary objectives are a bit… useless (except the pump in terminal, okay), and snipers are … only marginal snipers.

(Szakalot) #7

[quote=“Glottis-3D;14501”]the so called self-moving spawns realy break the map flow. you can not have a plan for this spawn location trigger, you cannot influence the trigger. You are just a dummy, that is put from point A to point B.

Re-introducing the capturable spawns will make the map flow a more solid experience. Teams will have to fight for the spawn, ET/ETQW had some intense stuff on the spawns. And in the same time there will be no questions ‘why the hell did i spawn here? and not there??’
Right now we already have some good places to fight after some OBJ-finished. and defence teams usually start their fights to stop the rush on next object. But then game suddenly says: ‘No guys, you will not defend this point anymore, ill put attackers spawn here, and you’re all dead. Bye bye.’

1. Trainyard second stage spawnpoint at the train wreck
  2. Underground - spawn at the end of the U-turn
  3. Terminal Gates-entrance

self-moving spawn system needs to go.
[/quote]

Nailed it. Just a simple: forward spawn, main spawn, leapfrogging each time a new spawn is conquered.

Once you cap the new forward spawn, the previous forward spawn remains fixed. (uncappable). There are so many locations in the game that are great arenas, but there is no point in going there cause its too far from obj, to close to the enemy spawn.

(B_Montiel) #8

In my opinion, compared to both W:ET and ETQW, the maps are too linear as they are set now. Terminal’s forward spawn is poor interest on attack generally. Maps should be wider with more ways to attack, including shortcuts from older spawns.