The Maps?

(Glottis-3D) #1

Correct me if i am wrong, but there were no major map update since that Dome- 1st stage change.
Not any map was significantly improved since then.

I am assuming, that they are being worked on, but SD desided not to show the progress like they did a year ago (Chapel progress was nice, but still map unfinished, Bridge-alt ending was great)

Or do we get mostly Final versions of the maps? if so - this is terrible mistake.

This is very important quiestion, trust me. If you do not get a lot of rage from new-comers about maps it is because they are newcomers. sooner rather than later they will rage about all the chokes and linearity and boringness and eventually leave the game.

I like chokes, as long as you need to be skilled control the situation.

Imo Bridge first section is built to choke and kill people on left who dont attack at the same time from the right.
Its imo strategic gameplay, that traps noobs, and is the difference between a skilled player/team and a player with less good map-awareness & team-awareness.

W:ET goldrush first stage is almost idential, except for more roof-protection for airstrikes on DB Bridge.
You need to attack at the same time from two sides to push through and repair tank/EV.

Newbies (or players with not yet efficient map-awareness skill for the specifik map & location) will get rekt at chokepoints, untill they learn how to play. Is not broken / works as intended imo.

(Glottis-3D) #3

it is broken. because layout was build with another EV position (right near the broken wall. - just like the Goldrush tank.)
until the layout gets some improvements this stage will always be pain in the arse.

Then we feel differently. I like the challange of haveing high difficulty to push through / dare to push through / time attack from side
I used to think it was too hard, but after seeing how other people successfully got through, I found that focusing more on the side made all the difference.

(prophett) #5

I’d be satisfied with an answer on bridge_alt in this thread at this point in time.

(Ashog) #6

They need to hire Chris already. Map problems solved.

(AssortedStuff) #7

I have no knowledge of how SD works (in terms of staffing) so the other day I was thinking to myself: “Hmmm, could it be that the lack of new maps might be due to SD not having a full time/permanent map designer and instead contracting one when they need it? …or even maybe that ‘map designer’ is just one of many functions that a person(s) does in SD and so their time spent planning maps is very limited?”

Yes, I’m aware that a good map takes a long time to do, it is not done in ‘5 minutes’. Nevertheless the blockout(?) versions should take less.
I’m guessing now that Dirty Bomb started taking payments ["***** just got real!"] any blockout maps will not be made available to the general public, so not to “scare” the general audience (which not knowing what a blockout is would judge the game negatively - due to lack of ‘pretty’ textures - and would leave bad reviews).
But I would think the majority of this forum users would be thrilled to help test any new map in their blockout stages. If they’re put in a private server we would gladly test it and give our feedback, as it happened before.

As for the lack of ‘improvement’ of existing maps, I can only speculate it is due on how SD is reading the echo data.
(…I am guessing that a few forum users are rolling their eyes at the mention of echo)