Better late than never

(kyuto9) #1

I’m french, i am a 25yo student in Animating characters, background and fx in 2D video gaming.
I play FPS most of the time, but i like points&click games.
I practice some speedcubing (3x3) and i’m attracted to anything related to the 80s, mostly new retro wave and movies.

Concerning Splashdamage, i’ve been playing W.ET since its release from 2003 to 2005. This game is one big part of my gaming experience, and my first ever multiplayer solid social investment. I played Medic for 2 years, i had a lot of friends and nostalgia talks a lot when it comes to this game. I then played QW, half a year. I liked it’s large maps, but i didn’t have much time nor friends to get deep inside. Also with TF2 showing, it was hard…

So my last teambased FPS experiences so far are : L4D, BF3, Planetside 2, America’s Army, Css, TF2, Brink and… Dirty Bomb. I love to play with plenty of people on a common objectiv.

You’ll often see me on DB forum, mostly to b1tch on it because i’m not really a lover of this game. Probably because i’m frustrated of SD choice to develop it instead of improving Brink, which was my favorite SD game so far, even if it was objectively bad for various reasons. I think it had potential (and still has).
So i play DB and give feedbacks in the hope they don’t fvck it up neither.
I’m not as hyped by Splashdamage than i once was since Brink fell.

Anyway, these days i play a bit of DB and a bit of css (the only game i never stopped playing ever since it’s release). And i’m fine. Sometimes i like to play Darkest Dungeon, a 2D hard and frustrating rpg.
I’m currently waiting for the new Star Wars Battlefront and blizzard’s Overwatch. And finally I keep a curious eye on Gigantic. Rainbow Six Siege got my attention, but i’m doubtful.

Send private message for any further information or contact.

(Fluffy_gIMp) #2

Hi Kyuto,

welcome long time lurker and thanks for the kind words,
in terms of responding to your frustrations about supporting our past games. We try to do this for as long as we are able to. However if we don’t actually own the game we’re working on we’re bound by legal contract on how much we’re able to do post release. This is perhaps something we’re not open enough about, bat this is the reality of work-for-hire game development for publishers. Dirty Bomb is the first time this situation has changed for us in 14 years; where we do actually own the game we’re working on, so things can be different…

(kyuto9) #3

Thanks for the message.

I read well what you had to say and I understand your reality. Still I don’t want to put all the blame on “modern times” and conventions of video game sector. I know SD is trying something new with Dirty Bomb, in terms of gaming and developpement (also business model etc) and I also know there are a lot of competitors out there. As I said in my introduction, I played CS and ET mainly as multiplayer fps, mostly because they were spotted, and real blasts. There wasn’t many back then. Now with f2p emerging and copy-pasta games, the choice is wider. It is indeed difficult to dig in this market and make yourself some throne as players are spreading over sh1tload of games.
Fanbase will split, and I’m more likely to belong to the “players leaving” for this one game. But I do hope it works so SD still stands and make the next game a musthave (maybe not f2p anymore). Besides, I still wait Dirty Bomb to surprise me, who knows… If not, it’s alright, i’m patient, I can wait 3-4-5 years to get my Splashdamage game.

By the way, are there any chance to see a HD remake of ET coming from SD? And do you still own something from Brink? Like a sequel right, or else? I just heard about “bethesda owns brink”, no much details.