Daily missions are too easy

(Mustang) #1

My GoogleFu is telling me an average gaming session is pretty much the same as the average time spent gaming per day, which is around 2.5-3.25 hours.

Daily missions only seem to take around 1-1.5 hour to complete them all.

Surely daily missions should take the majority of a days gaming session to complete to make them feel challenging, rewarding and to give you something to aim towards. So why not target something like 1.75-2.25 hours instead?

Just wondering if anyone else has found them to be somewhat lackluster.

(riptide) #2

Funny. I was just thinking I didn’t have enough dailies to do so I would re-sub to World of Warcraft and complete every daily in the game because it’s joyous and time spent means it’s not lackluster!

Then I used my GoogleFu and it told me that averages mean those days I work 12-15 hours somebody is playing 3-4 more hours than they usually do. Because I only play for an hour max, if at all.

(DarkangelUK) #3

Anti did say on the stream that they’ll probably ramp the limits up again but slightly tweak the XP distribution to even it out a bit more… or something along those lines.

(Violator) #4

I agree with this - the three missions are usually done in an hour or so (use 3 mercs - don’t even have to play the merc, just include them in your squad, play 3 obj / sw mode matches equally easy to achieve. The XP gain missions can be done in a couple of matches as well. How about some more specific missions tied to badges e.g.

Score X kills with grenades
Revive X players
Score X kills with airstrikes

(Anti) #5

[QUOTE=Violator;524379]I agree with this - the three missions are usually done in an hour or so (use 3 mercs - don’t even have to play the merc, just include them in your squad, play 3 obj / sw mode matches equally easy to achieve. The XP gain missions can be done in a couple of matches as well. How about some more specific missions tied to badges e.g.

Score X kills with grenades
Revive X players
Score X kills with airstrikes[/QUOTE]

Happy to add more Missions but we’ve tried to avoid ones that will make people play in a way that might disrupt the team’s chances of winning. For example a ‘Get 50 Headshots with Sniper Rifles’ Mission is going to result in too many Snipers frag hunting rather than trying to aid their team.

Any suggestions for new Missions that would be productive for a team would be welcomed though :slight_smile:

(Glottis-3D) #6

50 revives?
50 direct hit medpacks/ammo?
10 EV disables?

(davidemo89) #7

5000 heal?
10 revives with a medic?
50 ammo pack?
500 stay together?

(neg0ne) #8

that sound great. teamplay related specific missions ! thubs up.
x defend obj ( stay close to a planted something )
x guardian angel ( kill someone whos is just about to take out a buddy )
x forward spawns taken
x minutes sticking together
x mr.versatillity ( completing obj not beeing an obj class) …

(DarkangelUK) #9

1000m air distance traveled via wallhops
60 minutes stood beside the EV while it’s moving
100 enemy mines/stations/turrets destroyed
100 gibs/finishes

(Violator) #10

Good point on the non-team related ones (ET:QW suffered from this with its stats system).

X xp spotting enemies
help up X teammates

(Chux) #11

Agree with Glot, something along those lines. Maybe even have a few “20 revives in a single match”, mines disabled, C4s planted, people gibed, x amount of health or ammo given, headshots scored etc. Something that involves you actively doing in order to complete. All of the current ones you can just get without you participating too much.

EDIT: some of them may be out of reach for some due to the merc rotation. Maybe have the system filter those out and only give you ones you can actually complete

(Mustang) #12

More interesting missions certainly helps with the lacklusterness, I don’t understand the ones that just require you have have a merc in your squad, either say they must be used at least once per game, or switch them out for something more engaging.

(tangoliber) #13

I appreciate you guys considering that. Thanks.

(Exedore) #14

Deliberately went soft on this… some people will never like certain Mercs. Only the Pros will be skilled with almost all of them. If I had a mission where I had to play Vassili for instance, my entire team would hate me for being useless even more than they already do.

The system is very, very first pass! :tongue:

(Glottis-3D) #15

from all the suggestions i also like these:
60 minuts EV moving.
100 enemy mines/stations/turrets destroyed
100 gibs/finishes

(Szakalot) #16

[QUOTE=Exedore;524415]Deliberately went soft on this… some people will never like certain Mercs. Only the Pros will be skilled with almost all of them. If I had a mission where I had to play Vassili for instance, my entire team would hate me for being useless even more than they already do.

The system is very, very first pass! :tongue:[/QUOTE]

You’d still want to encourage people to try things they aren’t super comfortable with, right?

These missions sound like just the way.

And on casual we can’t expect people to play their best. Some people play just to relax, some are very competitive. Some are taking their dog for a walk. Some are drunk.

(DB Genome editor) #17

Unless there is a mechanism to abandon missions (and even if there is), please stay away from anything that can be failed and reset. Basically no missions like “Do this X times in one game” or “Do that Y times in one life”. Missions should encourage people to keep playing through continuous progression, not frustrate them because they keep failing them and are eventually stuck with a set they can’t complete. Also missions like that tend to involve more luck factor and have much less predictable completion times, so they can’t be relied on to provide a somewhat consistent credit flow (which is the carrot the missions are supposed to be dangling in front of the players).

Leave the streaks and time-limit stuff for badges.

(BioSnark) #18

If missions are there, some of them should be interesting. I don’t pay attention to these because they’re bland but based on the name, I assume they change each day. If that’s the case, it seems reasonable to have one of them be actually hard/odd and more rewarding. It’s hardly an accomplishment on my part to have had a merc in my roster when the only merc I used was proxy.

Here are a couple completely excellent suggestions:

[ul]
[li]Finish a disarm within x seconds of the bomb being planted.[/li][li]Get x kills with a single ability use.[/li][li]Heal x hitpoints in a game / with a single aura derp station use.[/li][li]Kill x enemies on the objective with deployables in a match.[/li][li]X kills in a single clip.[/li][li]Revive x players in proximity to the objective in a single match[/li][li]Cast no vote for Bridge by the end of the day.[/li][li]Refill x ammunition rounds for teammates in a match.[/li][li]Take ∞ damage in a single life because you’re in a magic Aura circle of protection.[/li][li]Play only Proxy because there are no other classes.[/li][li]Kill X Auras while they’re in their magical fairy circle.[/li][/ul]

(Glottis-3D) #19

overal, i would like missions to be a tool, that pushes encourages ppl to play more on team, rather than on themselfs

(DB Genome editor) #20

[QUOTE=BioSnark;524501]If missions are there, some of them should be interesting. I don’t pay attention to these because they’re bland but based on the name, I assume they change each day. If that’s the case, it seems reasonable to have one of them be actually hard/odd and more rewarding. It’s hardly an accomplishment on my part to have had a merc in my roster when the only merc I used was proxy.

Here are a couple completely excellent suggestions:

[ul]
[li]Finish a disarm within x seconds of the bomb being planted.
[/li][li]Get x kills with a single ability use.
[/li][li]Heal x hitpoints in a game / with a single aura derp station use.
[/li][li]Kill x enemies on the objective with deployables in a match.
[/li][li]X kills in a single clip.
[/li][li]Revive x players in proximity to the objective in a single match
[/li][li]Cast no vote for Bridge by the end of the day.
[/li][li]Refill x ammunition rounds for teammates in a match.
[/li][li]Take ∞ damage in a single life because you’re in a magic Aura circle of protection.
[/li][li]Play only Proxy because there are no other classes.
[/li][li]Kill X Auras while they’re in their magical fairy circle.
[/li][/ul][/QUOTE]
Some perfect examples of what we shouldn’t have as daily missions because they force the player to use a certain merc, or a certain class, and actively farm the achievement because of its time limit. If I like to play medic and I’m stuck with “Kill X with a single ability”, “Refill Y ammo” and “Kill Z with deployables”, then I have to switch to another merc / playstyle not because that’s what my team needs but because that’s the only way I can achieve my daily missions. This is counter-productive in terms of teamplay and increases the grind feeling of the whole thing. Why do you think the “Play 3 matches with merc A” only requires you to have him/her in your roster and not necessarily field him/her? Because forcing someone to play has a merc he/she is not comfortable with / interested in is annoying grind. But simply having him/her in your roster is no big deal, and maybe one time that merc will be exactly what your team needs and you’ll give it a try and who knows maybe even enjoy it.

Again, missions should be there simply to encourage people to play, you should have the feeling that if you just keep playing the game the way it’s meant to be, you’ll complete them sooner or later. Even the “Waterboy” mission can eventually be completed without using a support class because you still pickup points just for playing with your team.