Compare Wolf E.T. to DB

(alvin) #1

To the Wolf E.T. guys left out there, have you graduated to DB? Can you make comparisons? Quakewars didn’t do it for me though I know a lot of work went into it. I couldn’t get over console style movement, iron sights and what i call the nagging “kiddie” factor in the back of my mind (not judging S.D. for catering to customer base, it just wasn’t for me). Its great though that there is finally a FPS exclusively for PC again though. Console sux.

(Rex) #2

QW had a console style movement? TROLOLOLOLOL… Either bad troll or just noob.

Hope you are happy with DB because it’s closer to ET than any other SD game hahaha…

(Zenity) #3

You know, how you describe QuakeWars is how I felt about ET the first time I tried it out. :slight_smile: It was still fun, and it grew on me, and then I played it for some years competitively.

DB is not exactly like ET, but all I can say is that it’s the first game since ET that is giving me the same sense of excitement and discovery. Also mainline ET was a complete mess for competition, and I think that DB is already much further along in this regard. The fact that SD will keep working on this game with the F2P model (and has strong sympathies for the competitive PC community) makes me very optimistic about the game’s future.

(Rémy Cabresin) #4

Switched to it really early, its getting better and better. Don’t think there will ever be a ‘ET:2’ or something that will 100% capture the magic that ET and RtCW had. But this is probably as close as we’re ever going to get it so if you want to get a new game with similar gameplay this is it.

Personally 10 years of ET behind me and really enjoying DB a lot. Playing with a lot of friends from ET aswell and they all enjoy it too.

(Shanks) #5

Lately I’ve been running into a lot of those kiddies. They’ve been typing in all caps and talk about players’ moms nonstop. I wonder what kind of enjoyment they get from acting like this…oh and always ending up at the bottom of the scoresheet.

But other than that I’ve really enjoyed the game. Not as much as RtCW/ET but it’s still a blast. Aura though…

(prophett) #6

Copied from a post I made on the Nexon forums back in January. Still all valid points for me.

It’s lacking a lot of features that made ET great;

• flag spawns
  • forward spawns
  • proper doc runs (steal from enemy base and secure mid map)
  • touch steal/return/secure objectives (doc runs and spawn flags)
  • select-able spawns
  • meaningful side objectives (excludes MG builds)
  • command posts

And the more simple things like;

• ability to pick up weapons
  • uni steals
  • team doors
  • helmets
  • player boosts
  • sprint while reloading

The single biggest let down for me is the maps. They are mostly linear and bland that really restrict tactics which makes for boring gameplay.

There are no memorable fighting areas such as the war room on beach, radar cp, upper supply depot hold (last obj.), the goldrush courtyard/bank D, salvage or sewer interior D, etc… due to poor design and absence of some the features mentioned above. I doubt I will remember any parts of the tube on Underground, or the long street you are forced along on Whitechapel (the games best map).

The map design is so restrictive that we can’t even choose to fall back in certain instances because the map won’t let us - terminal wall, fall back to 2nd trainyard objective to properly set up, etc…

It is nice to see some choice being incorporated into maps like Dome, but even those objectives which are a result of months & months of feedback and revisions still need a lot of work. I don’t see that map or any other current map reaching it’s full potential. It’s too bad.

The game will be fun but I can’t see it coming close to many of the games I have really enjoyed over the past years.

(alvin) #7

Thanks for sounding off. Any gripes? / loves? Yea I don’t want another E.T. exactly. Variety makes for happiness. It’s sad seeing old 90’s rockers playing the same old outdated music. Off topic haha.

edit: just saw your post prophett.

(alvin) #8

That’s funny. I’m going to guess you were a C.S player before that, as Wolf E.T. was said to be “cartoonish” in comparison (and justifiably). A little escapism is good.

(kenpokiller) #9

[QUOTE=Zenity;524017]You know, how you describe QuakeWars is how I felt about ET the first time I tried it out. :slight_smile: It was still fun, and it grew on me, and then I played it for some years competitively.

DB is not exactly like ET, but all I can say is that it’s the first game since ET that is giving me the same sense of excitement and discovery. Also mainline ET was a complete mess for competition, and I think that DB is already much further along in this regard. The fact that SD will keep working on this game with the F2P model (and has strong sympathies for the competitive PC community) makes me very optimistic about the game’s future.[/QUOTE]
^This

I got excited on Crossfire initially but can’t really compare the games. It has a few aspects of shooters but it has it’s own print :slight_smile:

(Zenity) #10

Not CS, but aside from arena shooters I mainly played the “faster siblings” of CS Action Quake 2 and Urban Terror. My first impressions of ET were that the movement and shooting mechanics did not feel tight at all, many of the game mechanics seemed half baked or poorly thought out, and most of all it had a ridiculous amount of spam.

But some of that mess was also why it was fun to play around with it, and eventually I grew to love it. So far I can say that DB feels a lot more tightly designed to me “out of the box”, and I only expect it to get better.

(Glottis-3D) #11

[QUOTE=prophett;524035]Copied from a post I made on the Nexon forums back in January. Still all valid points for me.

It’s lacking a lot of features that made ET great;

• flag spawns
  • forward spawns
  • proper doc runs (steal from enemy base and secure mid map)
  • touch steal/return/secure objectives (doc runs and spawn flags)
  • select-able spawns
  • meaningful side objectives (excludes MG builds)
  • command posts

And the more simple things like;

• ability to pick up weapons
  • uni steals
  • team doors
  • helmets
  • player boosts
  • sprint while reloading

The single biggest let down for me is the maps. They are mostly linear and bland that really restrict tactics which makes for boring gameplay.

There are no memorable fighting areas such as the war room on beach, radar cp, upper supply depot hold (last obj.), the goldrush courtyard/bank D, salvage or sewer interior D, etc… due to poor design and absence of some the features mentioned above. I doubt I will remember any parts of the tube on Underground, or the long street you are forced along on Whitechapel (the games best map).

The map design is so restrictive that we can’t even choose to fall back in certain instances because the map won’t let us - terminal wall, fall back to 2nd trainyard objective to properly set up, etc…

It is nice to see some choice being incorporated into maps like Dome, but even those objectives which are a result of months & months of feedback and revisions still need a lot of work. I don’t see that map or any other current map reaching it’s full potential. It’s too bad.

The game will be fun but I can’t see it coming close to many of the games I have really enjoyed over the past years.[/QUOTE]

didnt notice this post earlier. very strong one. agree with 100% of it.

(tangoliber) #12

I have impossible expectations set by games I loved when I was younger…though it isn’t Wolf E.T. in my case. There is no way I will ever be fully satisfied by a newer game, and that probably goes for all of you as well. But this is a great game with it’s own strengths. Some young kid will play it, and then he will unfairly criticize every other competitive FPS that he plays for the rest of his life, because it isn’t quite Dirty Bomb…

I still get angry at all the single player FPS that don’t control exactly like Doom…

(Humbugsen) #13

I also agree on everything that prophett said
add shooting while sprinting (and colored names) to the list xD

[QUOTE=tangoliber;525687]I have impossible expectations set by games I loved when I was younger…though it isn’t Wolf E.T. in my case. There is no way I will ever be fully satisfied by a newer game, and that probably goes for all of you as well. But this is a great game with it’s own strengths. Some young kid will play it, and then he will unfairly criticize every other competitive FPS that he plays for the rest of his life, because it isn’t quite Dirty Bomb…

I still get angry at all the single player FPS that don’t control exactly like Doom…[/QUOTE]

nah that’s not the reason.
they took the gamemode of ET but cut everything out that made it great

they’re trying to reinvent the wheel but it’s not round and won’t roll xD

I’m really curious how execution mode fits into DB

(BioSnark) #14

I’m sad all PvE shooters suck compared to DooM1/2. Every undodgably fast yet ultra-hd 120 frame-per-second, real-time light generating, stunningly beautiful projectile flying at the player is a wasted opportunity for player fun. Every ultra-smart ai armed with a boring, undodgable hitscan weapon is wasted coding. The controls, however, do not miss… Not even a little bit. I think you are a bad person for missing those controls. No other explanation.

(Runeforce) #15

Then I hate to be the one to break it to you, but this is not the game for you! This feels like etqw 2.0 (or w:et 3.0.)
But why don’t you buy in with the starter pack and tell us your oppinion?

(tangoliber) #16

I’ve played with source ports so long, that I don’t even remember what the controls feel more like originally. I always play with vertical aiming turned on, as well. :slight_smile:
I was referring more to the the sprint speed, being able to shoot while sprinting…and beyond that, the shmup-style projectile dodging gameplay.

That doesn’t mean I’m still not a bad person though.

(alvin) #17

At this point, think I’ll wait till the game comes out as there are a lot of angry threads right now. DB may turn out great but I’ve bought so many throw-away games don’t need another. At the same time, inject a “It’s me, not you” DB since getting older makes you jaded sorta like what tangoliber said. Same with movies: don’t like new ones as much either. On the other hand, I don’t remember so many complaints during the ET:QW beta.