F2P, how to make money and not ruin everything?

(kenpokiller) #1

Free to Play
The free to play model has taken on various, demented forms over the last few years, and has quickly become the go to for any game that wants to make absolutely sure that it will have a healthy population. The debate rages on about what the real costs are to the games’ quality, if there are any.

Free to play done not so well

ArcheAge is awful! Just kidding, take a deep breath. While AA’s model is one I am not a fan of, they have a substantial playerbase who continue to share space, with a mixture of pay and free to play users. This is actually something I have less of an issue with - openly admitting that some users are funding the game, while others are potentially not.

The real issue I have with free to play games, is that which you will find in basically any completely free to play game. Microtransactions. Games that profit solely from microtransactions are almost always knowingly cashing in on the abuse of human psychology. Games that have limited lives per hour, but “Oh boy, would you look at that, for just $2 you can play again right away!” ‘Infestation: Survivor Stories’ (then ‘The War Z’) is one game I remember encountering this in, but it is common in a lot of harmless little mobile games. Some see it as clever marketing, I see it as building a trick into a game that people wouldn’t pay for, to sneakily take nibbles out of someone’s wallet.

Pay ‘GC’ (Currency purchased with real money) to respawn straight away in ‘Infestation: Survivor Stories’, or wait for the timer to reach zero.

I suppose I can’t really talk about free to play without mentioning pay to win. Pay to win is undoubtedly a problem in many free to play games, and while I would hesitate to work on a game that had such a structure, I don’t look upon it as negatively as microtransactions. Yes, developers are selling big sticks that their users use to beat up the defenseless, non-paying players. But this is a blatant option that people can accept as part of the game they are playing or move on. Many games that I would consider pay to win, a lot of people also view as just offering an alternative. As a recent example, I found the cash shop in ‘Heroes and Generals’ to be absurdly pay to win, especially considering how long it took to earn weapons as a non-paying user. This is the alternative that some people are okay with. Grind for weeks, or pay a little real money for instant access.

Free to play done well

Here is the part where I most likely smell badly of bias and contradiction. There are a couple of completely free to play games that I can say I have played extensively and never been anything but happy with, one of these being Dota 2. Whatever people have to say about Valve, it is undeniable that they know what they are doing when it comes to making money out of a free game. I think the key to this is the amount of effort they put into what is actually available for purchase.

Hats. Gotta have me them hats. By expertly maintaining a constant flow of quality cosmetic items into a game that has a large amount of focus on “look at me totally being the coolest person here out of 10 people”, Valve is able to make a healthy profit out of a game that is completely free. But how exactly is what they are doing anything special? Well, for one, the cosmetic items that are available for purchase in Dota 2 are a combination of items designed by professional Valve employees and talented freelance designers, who submit their work to the community to be voted on. So, Valve not only creates quality content that is available for purchase, they actually let their consumers tell them what they want available.

The obvious, yet important thing to mention about selling only cosmetic items, is that there is not a hint of pay to win in Dota 2. Every hero and every ability is available from the first time a user opens the game. The reason I mention this about Dota 2 specifically, is that the system used by most other MOBA’s I can think of, is to provide free to play users with a limited selection of heroes (which sometimes change to new heroes) and have the option of purchasing heroes for permanent use. This to me is basically the definition of pay to win. If you are offering extra game mechanics (which is what different heroes are) to people who pay money, you are letting them pay for an advantage.

Taken from:
http://www.das-tal-game.com/post/113879778176/how-to-make-money-off-your-game-and-not-ruin

Don’t turn this into “yet another”. People are catching on and news spreads like wildfire.

Turn to the community and build something out of it.<3

(tokamak) #2

HotS is F2P done extremely well

Collecting all heroes takes time. Even collecting the 10 required for ranked play requires several weeks. Unless you buy xp boosters or get the heroes directly.

The larger your hero collection, the better you’ll be able to mix and match with your team mates and respond to the opponents during the draft phase of each match. That’s the only gameplay advantage you’ll be able to buy your way into.

Hero prices are steep. Blizzard asks between 5 and 10 euros per hero. You could own them all for the price of a nice weekend in Barcelona so to speak.

But it doesn’t seem that this is where Blizzard makes the most money, I’ve only see a very few exceptions (usually streamers or pro players) that bought it all.

Blizzard mainly makes money on vanity stuff. The skins and mounts available. Blizzard asks between 10 and 20 euros per vanity skin. They know they can do this because the skins truly are awesome. Truly unique concepts and the skins also change the effects and abilities of your hero. In short, if you have a skin like this, you’ll truly stand out. Nobody will complain about the price because it’s all cosmetic anyway.

It’s quite brilliant in the way that they’ve created a new universe where the weirdest stuff is possible. HotS takes place in some weird dimension where virtual reality, dreams, other realities and whatever flow together. This means that provided the art direction is done right, they can literally put anything in the game without it breaking the immersion and style.

The more stuff people buy, the more trippy the game gets, in a tasteful way that is.

I’d love to see where DB will take the skins. It’s got to be more than recolouring the existing stuff. It may even require to be more than Brink’s diversity in (unique) looks if you want to get people to pay for this.

(Protekt1) #3

The F2P I’ve played the most of recently is Hearthstone. I only sunk a really meager 15-20 dollars early on in the beta. The super vast majority (95+%) of the content (cards + singleplayer content) I have was earned for free. The game is also competitively played. And you’ll likely need to spend way more time in arena/constructed play to earn top competitive decks to play in a competitive setting than you will need to for this game. I mean, I really don’t know the figures and what is necessary for this game yet, but hearthstone can take you several months just to get on equal footing… and it still is not p2w and it is still well done and fair for an f2p game.

The most key aspect is no game impacting pay only content. I don’t want to say “everything else is free game”, cause I am sure there might be some fringe exceptions.

I’m also not a huge fan of random rewards being the only way to get new loadout cards. I think you should be able to break down loadout cards for like “loadout points” and then spend those points to create better loadout cards. Give us a way to get loadout cards without the random. This is probably worth of its own thread discussion.

(kenpokiller) #4

After recently playing CSGO I don’t see why we can’t ditch the loadout cards and give all default weapons to everybody and just start selling community-created skins.

(prophett) #5

I would have loved them to take this route. Making their money from weapon skins via content updates.

The Bushwacker Case

Contains one of the following:

Weapon | Camo Type

Blishlok | Toy Gun
Caulden | Red Tiger
M9 | Carbon
Remberg 7 | Copper
SMG-9 | Nexon
BR-16 | Blue Steel
FEL-IX| Skulls
Timik-47 | Electric
M4A1 | Graphite
Crostzni | Gold
or an Exceedingly Rare Special Item! (ie. Hockey Stick melee weapon)

There is money to be made from different melee weapons - hockey stick, golf club, baseball bat, board with a nail in it, etc…

(Copyrights) #6

This.

The number of F2P games failing because they couldnt be bothered to take exemple on DotA/TF2/CSGO models is sad. Making money with a F2P is effin simple. Give us the opportunity to feel pretty and youll be swimming in a pool full of liquid gold.

Let us make the drawing, then collect the money. Stop locking content behind a paywall ffs. Ive spent more than 200 bucks on CSGO for skins while maybe $15 in HotS for heroes. Stattrak is another thing you need to implement. A sense of ‘progression’.

Just looking at the price tag on a merc makes me wonder if you guys at SD ever played a Valve game in your life. Guess what, Gaben could buy the freaking moon if he wanted to.

(tangoliber) #7

[QUOTE=Copyrights;525845]This.

The number of F2P games failing because they couldnt be bothered to take exemple on DotA/TF2/CSGO models is sad. Making money with a F2P is effin simple. Give us the opportunity to feel pretty and youll be swimming in a pool full of liquid gold.

Let us make the drawing, then collect the money. Stop locking content behind a paywall ffs. Ive spent more than 200 bucks on CSGO for skins while maybe $15 in HotS for heroes. Stattrak is another thing you need to implement. A sense of ‘progression’.

Just looking at the price tag on a merc makes me wonder if you guys at SD ever played a Valve game in your life. Guess what, Gaben could buy the freaking moon if he wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Hard to copy Valve’s model when they have so many players. TF2 had hundreds of thousands of players before it even went F2P. CS:Go still isn’t F2P. Dota 2 had hundreds of thousands of players from the very beginning.

When you have a base that large, you can make money just selling cosmetics. Anything TF2 and CS:Go earns through microtransactions is just a bonus from the Buy-to-play profits they received.

(Copyrights) #8

so you actually think that a game with a (much) smaller playerbase will survive by selling mercs for 10 bucks or w/e? On what am I supposed to spend my cash if I dont care about Arty?

(LCTR) #9

[QUOTE=prophett;525404]I would have loved them to take this route. Making their money from weapon skins via content updates.

There is money to be made from different melee weapons - hockey stick, golf club, baseball bat, board with a nail in it, etc…[/QUOTE]

Ultra-rare Shoe melee weapon…

(LCTR) #10

[QUOTE=tangoliber;525848]Hard to copy Valve’s model when they have so many players. TF2 had hundreds of thousands of players before it even went F2P. CS:Go still isn’t F2P. Dota 2 had hundreds of thousands of players from the very beginning.

When you have a base that large, you can make money just selling cosmetics. Anything TF2 and CS:Go earns through microtransactions is just a bonus from the Buy-to-play profits they received.[/QUOTE]

DB is still in closed Beta so I guess you’re never going to properly asses the scale until the general Steam-using public can freely access the game…

(tangoliber) #11

I don’t know for sure, but I think it might work. Would need to effectively convince the players that a merc for 10 dollars is a good value compared to most F2P games, since it provides an ability, a skin, a voice pack, and easy access to 3 weapons (which may overlap with other merc weapons) in just a few hours of play. Not sure if that is an easy sell to the majority or not…

If you don’t care about Arty, then you spend your cash on a different merc. Hopefully there will be a couple that interest you…(Otherwise, you probably don’t like the game and weren’t going to spend money on it anyway.) :slight_smile:

(tangoliber) #12

I never see any F2P game get close to TF2 or CS: Go though. A successful non-Valve F2P game appears to be Warframe which peaked at 21,000 players today. I think a very optimistic outlook would be that Dirty Bomb can maintain a 10,000 daily player peak for a year after release…if it can catch on. I imagine that would be more than enough to be lucrative. But it is still nowhere near CS: Go’s peak of 500,000 players today.

Unfortunately, games like Tribes: Ascend…which was a solid, good game…has already dropped out of the Steam 100.

(Szakalot) #13

[QUOTE=tangoliber;525859]I never see any F2P game get close to TF2 or CS: Go though. A successful non-Valve F2P game appears to be Warframe which peaked at 21,000 players today. I think a very optimistic outlook would be that Dirty Bomb can maintain a 10,000 daily player peak for a year after release…if it can catch on. I imagine that would be more than enough to be lucrative. But it is still nowhere near CS: Go’s peak of 500,000 players today.

Unfortunately, games like Tribes: Ascend…which was a solid, good game…has already dropped out of the Steam 100.[/QUOTE]

You never know. The W:ET crowd must go somewhere, and there were millions of players (not daily obv.) at its best.

(kenpokiller) #14

The Gambler fallacy?
Disparity of percentages inbetween normal & elite cases
Boosters should be random ingame drop aswell sometimes (very rare)
Or like when you win 5-10 games in a row.

Otherwise pretty hard pay-2-get-advantage.

Do note I have gold, cobalt, obsidian, alienware skins & all the mercs I want. Cause i’ve been playing since alpha
New players still stern on calling this game P2W and i’d rather go against it.

Why can’t we buy Elite cases with credits?
I know i’m not going to get a cobalt despite spending 100k credits on cases.
I’d rather buy elites with credits for an absurd price but atleast knowing I can get a better skin.

Do note I don’t mind all the trading up, I play many games a day but it just feels like a waste buying these normal cases.

(Phantomchan) #15

Oh god no, please don’t introduce a system like CS:GO/TF2. It really ruined TF2 for me as people were more worried about asking if they could trade my hat (and scam me hard in the meanwhile) than play the game. Also, the economy in CS:GO is the worst I have ever seen. Although it brings money in the pocket of Gaben and is ‘successful’, I personally think it’s just a scheme. I mean like come on, the artificial economy is worse than the bitcoin. a skin worth $2000 (reminder : for a cosmetic item with no purpose) for a simply made kaleidoscope sniper skin is just mediocre to say the least (not even talking about the knives etc.). Stuff like that would turn the game into a tool to measure E-Peens rather than a nice game to play. There is an even more darker side to it, as pro matches in CS:GO are massively matchfixed by people in asia to gain mass profits from the throws etc. .By introducing a similar system like CS:GO, you make the game highly susceptible for matchfixing later on when the game takes off. With that, you have largely rigged competitions and you are basically opening a big way for criminals to gain mass profits off. That’s really something you want to do, paying criminals. How do I know this? I have a friend who ‘works’ in a large matchfixing group.

tl;dr : CS:GO structure allows content creators to create content, but is a huge scam and only brings a lot of **** with it.

(Szakalot) #16

[QUOTE=Phantomchan;535848]
tl;dr : CS:GO structure allows content creators to create content, but is a huge scam and only brings a lot of **** with it.[/QUOTE]

even if what you said is true (that the economy is a scam): based on the increased playerbase, almost any game would be happy to emulate this system.

Plus, CS:GO is largely about e-peen anyways, more so than any other FPS

(prophett) #17

[QUOTE=Phantomchan;535848]

tl;dr : CS:GO structure allows content creators to create content, but is a huge scam and only brings a lot of **** with it.[/QUOTE]

“rare” skins and community content that help grow/retain a player base are a bad thing? (8{

(Potato_Ladder) #18

[QUOTE=Szakalot;535857]even if what you said is true (that the economy is a scam): based on the increased playerbase, almost any game would be happy to emulate this system.

Plus, CS:GO is largely about e-peen anyways, more so than any other FPS[/QUOTE]
Sorry for asking but what does e-peen mean?

P.S aristocraticLadder from Dirty Bomb foruns here.

(Mustang) #19

[QUOTE=Potato_Ladder;535881]Sorry for asking but what does e-peen mean?

P.S aristocraticLadder from Dirty Bomb foruns here.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to be that guy, but really?!: e-peen

(Potato_Ladder) #20

I never really rely on Google to be honest, when I search for words meanings are not as straightforward as they should be.
It’s my fault for not trying it out first so it’s ok to be THAT guy.
Thanks for the help.