dirybomb for hardcore players and pro?

(abnorm) #1

Wir wollten einen richtigen Hardcore-Shooter für Profis machen”, said Paul Wedgewood in an interview for the german magazin PC Hardware. http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Dirty-Bomb-PC-256659/Specials/gespielt-1155138/

That means in english that the goal of Dirty Bomb is a real hardcore shooter for pro.

But Dirty Bomb has 2 big issues in the game mechanic so far away from be a game for pro, imho.
Let me explain, why…

Firendly fire off: That´s pro or hardcore? It´s a casual players and beginner setting, not more!
That setting raise the spam a lot and you simply can´t do multikills in classic situations (for example close hallways) because opponents are able to shoot through teammates.

No teammate playermodel collision! For what? To dont get blocked by teammates? Missing collision makes the movement irrational and unnatural. Kinda really stupid, I dont think that is what the pro want, or?

The combination of friendly fire off and missing teammate playermodel collision make me really sick and rage. Because I cant get in my experience of 12 years online playing on competition level (W:ET & ET:QW). Just to much randomness for my old reflexes in this game!!!

The art of playing a shooter is to don´t block your teammates, don´t shoot in mates back and to smell how a group of opponements operate and move when they want to get your ass.

SD should turn on friendly fire and add a player collision for teammates and maybe a push funktion to push away blocking newbies. I guess SD will not touch this, but never say never…

(SDStyLeZ) #2

i agree with abnorm… teamattack and collisiondetection should be enabled at least for ranked matchmaking

(Zenity) #3

I am almost certain that SD will enable both those things for competitive play and matchmaking (hopefully soon). It’s not necessary on casual servers, which obviously shouldn’t be reserved for hardcore players.

(Szakalot) #4

aye, there is no reason why they shouldn’t. I’d expect both of the features as soon as anti-griefing systems are in place.

(LiNkzr) #5

They should add them eventually, maybe they are still deciding what kind of collisions and do they want any damage nerfs if hitting a team-mate, I wouldn’t mind this in competitive. At least going through people seems so weird no matter how competitive or not competitive a game is.

(BomBaKlaK) #6

100% agree ! collisions model must be on or off but not in between.
And Friendly fire is much more than needed !

(Ecano) #7

Absolute QFT.
But playermodel collision in some public map places would become in a real mess. Aslo friendly fire will became frustating for newbies.

A solution may be a pro-mod o server/competition ingame options.

(Zenity) #8

[QUOTE=Ecano;523743]Absolute QFT.
But playermodel collision in some public map places would become in a real mess. Aslo friendly fire will became frustating for newbies.

A solution may be a pro-mod o server/competition ingame options.[/QUOTE]

Why would you make it so complicated, when the game already differentiates between casual and competitive matchmaking? This is how CS:GO does it, and it’s a formula that just works. FF and player collisions (and smaller teams) in competitive matchmaking, none of that in casual. Beginners can spam away and stand in doorways without being kicked for stupidity, and later you get to choose your preferred style of playing. Friendly Fire and collisions can absolutely be forced on for competitive matches, so no need for extra choices there either.

(Nail) #9

pretty sure I read about configurable servers

(abnorm) #10

I dont have fun to play the current settings. Would it be a big deal to give the competition players some stopwatch puplic servers with decent settings?
SD and Nexon promote the game as a hardcore-shooter and all we get is casual moronism on public.:rolleyes:

(k0k0nat) #11

Be honest guys, this a press-marketing-blah statement of SD’s CEO, nothing more or less.

(Nail) #12

does that stick hurt when you walk ?

(onYn) #13

Well, honestly the game and it´s development never resembled something (but that´s just my opinion) that would suit “hardcore players and pro” or any different specific audience really. And I think that never was the goal… In my opinion, the goal was to do a game that a lot of people will be willing to spend money for by buying cosmetic items and who knows what as soon as they jump in to the game while being “hyped” - that what it is about. Honestly I can see this attitude in most of the game elements and almost every single change that has been made since I have joined the alpha as well.

You honestly can´t blame them for that, that´s what they jobs are about - to make games that bring them money. But I feel some kind of “llistlessness” when playing the game, but maybe it´s just the fear of failure… I can´t tell. It seems like the game is just supposed to deliver some revenue, just be one among many and that´s about it. Pretty much a losers mentality but widely accepted in a society where so few people actually love what they do and do it with passion.

I am pretty sure they “hoped” it would turn out to be competitive and fun in the end but without taking any risks that would put the main goal at any risk… And I think that it actually will be fun on a casual level. But not for people who are playing a game because they are interested in competing, mastery of skill and tactics. Neither it seems to be a game that binds you for 4 or 5 hours to the PC straight. It´s just about 2 or 3 games, some relaxation in the evening without much thought about it. A very average game, for a very average audience.

(ToonBE) #14

I agree! Although tripping on friendly mines will be very annoying haha

(ToonBE) #15

[QUOTE=abnorm;523729]"[I]because opponents are able to shoot through teammates.
…[/QUOTE]

Is that really possible? I thought teammates block bullets?

(abnorm) #16

sry, that was not well expressed. It´s not possible. But its like to shoot through because the bullets passes very close the moveing teammate in front.

anyway, in Competitve MM the settings should be changed in friendly fire on and teammate player collision on, problem solved, imho

(ToonBE) #17

[QUOTE=abnorm;523838]sry, that was not well expressed. It´s not possible. But its like to shoot through because the bullets passes very close the moveing teammate in front.

anyway, in Competitve MM the settings should be changed in friendly fire on and teammate player collision on, problem solved, imho[/QUOTE]

I agree mate;)

(Zenity) #18

Actually I hope that mines still won’t trigger on friendlies. Of course they can be shot to hurt your teammates, but that should be all IMO. They are advanced proximity mines after all, not landmines. :slight_smile: Otherwise we’d probably start seeing a ridiculous number of Proxys blowing themselves up (some might enjoy the thought of it).

(kenpokiller) #19

[QUOTE=onYn;523830]Well, honestly the game and it´s development never resembled something (but that´s just my opinion) that would suit “hardcore players and pro” or any different specific audience really. And I think that never was the goal… In my opinion, the goal was to do a game that a lot of people will be willing to spend money for by buying cosmetic items and who knows what as soon as they jump in to the game while being “hyped” - that what it is about. Honestly I can see this attitude in most of the game elements and almost every single change that has been made since I have joined the alpha as well.

You honestly can´t blame them for that, that´s what they jobs are about - to make games that bring them money. But I feel some kind of “llistlessness” when playing the game, but maybe it´s just the fear of failure… I can´t tell. It seems like the game is just supposed to deliver some revenue, just be one among many and that´s about it. Pretty much a losers mentality but widely accepted in a society where so few people actually love what they do and do it with passion.

I am pretty sure they “hoped” it would turn out to be competitive and fun in the end but without taking any risks that would put the main goal at any risk… And I think that it actually will be fun on a casual level. But not for people who are playing a game because they are interested in competing, mastery of skill and tactics. Neither it seems to be a game that binds you for 4 or 5 hours to the PC straight. It´s just about 2 or 3 games, some relaxation in the evening without much thought about it. A very average game, for a very average audience.[/QUOTE]

That’d be utter shame.

Owell I had similar thoughts anyhow. The implentation of game would’ve been different if it was focused for pro.

But who knows, I hope we get the same freedom as in W:ET then I don’t mind them milking casuals. We can take it serious with dbPRO mod XD

(Zenity) #20

Well I completely disagree, but we will have to wait and see how it turns out.

The first step to creating a successful eSports title is to create a competitive game that is fun to play and has mass appeal. This has to be the first priority, or all else is completely meaningless (even if you’d be happy with a game only played by a handful of hardcore players with no mainstream attention whatsoever, it wouldn’t be financially viable for anybody to make that).

Adjusting balance for competitive play as the need arises is actually the easy part. Once the game is out of beta and serious competition is starting, Splash Damage will be able to react to any problems that become apparent and which hinder the competitive community from progressing.

We don’t need ETPro, because Splash Damage isn’t going anywhere. We can work with them to cater to the needs of the competitive community, just like Valve does with Dota2 and CS:GO, or Blizzard does with StarCraft etc.

It won’t always be a smooth ride, and occasionally Splash Damage and the community will butt heads. But I wouldn’t be here if I wouldn’t believe that Dirty Bomb has the potential to be this kind of game, or if I wouldn’t trust Splash Damage to handle it correctly.