Bloodborne: first impressions and noob tips

(.FROST.) #1

Here are some “raw” tips for starters. I’ll edit this post once I have the time, but for now I’ll just want to spare you fellow “noob” Hunters those painful experinces that I had with this otherwise great game. Btw. I’ve never played any of the Souls games, so I was completely overwhelmed by the difficulty and the tactics needed to progress in this game.

#1 You can’t directly select your weapon from the inventory(only possible with items and consumables). You have to click the according weapon slot in order to do so. That sounds like a minor issue, but it made me run around for an hour without a weapon, even though I knew, that I’ve picked one up at my first visit in the Hunter’s Dream; I was cursing the game, because I’ve died time and time again at the very first creature. This whole weapon slot thing is especially tricky, since the inventory kinda implies, that you can equip yourself from there, since it gives you a yes/no option, even though it’s entirely impossible to choose your weapon from there.

#2 There’s obviously no difficulty setting in this game, so you’d have to work it the other way around in order to have it easier. Grind the crap out of the first level, level up your char until at least lvl20-25, put all your points(bought with Blood Echos) in vitality and strength(no brainer, right?), and surprise, surprise, the game finally gets playable, after hours and hours of killing every last enemy in Central Yarnham, again, again, and again. Before you do that be sure though, that you have at least once made your way through to this gigantic Cleric Beast, since only then you’ll be able to level up at the doll in the Hunter’s Dream. It doesn’t matter if you kill that beast, or not, just try to get there once.

#3 Every time you get killed you’ll loose all your Blood Echos, which is basically the current for everything in this game, including level points. Yet the game gives you a second chance to retrieve them from where you’ve got killed; but only once. If you happen to die before you could retrieve them, they’ll be gone for good. The Blood Echos are either lying around, looking like a puddle of blood, or one of your enemies is carrying them with him. The guy that has them is easilly spotted, for he has blue/purple glowing eyes.

#4 Your first two bosses will be the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne. Even though both seem rather different in appearance, you’ll have to fight them in the exact same way. And forget about hit and run tactics, cause they will most likely not work; at least not so surprisingly well, like just standing in front of those creatures and “light attacking”(R1) the crap out of them. Be also sure to incorporate some well timed shots from your left hand weapon to stagger them every once in a while, and don’t forget to dodge a little(NOT RUNNING AWAY!!!) and try to hit them in the back. You’ll get hit by both monsters, but the regain mechanic in this game is so strong, that you can actually finish them off without even using a single Blood Vial; just be brave young Hunter and victory will be your’s :wink:

#5 (more will follow as I progress in the game)