spooky FeedBack

(spookify) #1

I really do not know where to start with my feedback so here:

I personally find the teamwork lacking in this game. It is hard to explain because you actually do “see” teamwork all around you but you do not feel it. Aura can just set up a station for a sniper or fragger and then go rambo. All the carry objectives we are seeing very fast shotguns sprinting and finishing.

Big Suggestion: Would it be possible to entertain the idea of slowing down the acceleration speed of shotgun mercs; however keep their top speed?

• The speed at which a fast merc moves from stop to start or side to side is very very fast for the eye. I am also wondering if louder enemy footsteps might be coming?

Is there a plan in the works so if you v21 and need a medic or v22 and need ammo that will be slightly louder and appear on the map for those specific mercs? I feel like people can not find me or my vsay is for not…

I personally think shotguns feel a lot better but the speed or acceleration speed and 3 aura stations in pubs is a lot to over come right now.

Overall shooting feel in-general is muh… Aim for the body with a slight notion to aim for the head as fragger. I am not getting that great shot feel or wow he just owned me or the insta kill followed by a v55 and then a teabag… In fact to elaborate upon this if I am on train first stage and I see 3 or 4 enemy’s camping the door/hallway by the MG on thee outside and I am close to the plant area I really only have one option! Currently the way the game sits I need to go for the plant. If I am any auto shooting class there is no way I can down anymore then 2 of them with out the rest turning on me and I would be luck to get one at that distance. The feel of crouching and putting it on a persons head and flat out downing them just isnt there. They are not looking at you! They are just happily running around guarding that door and I feel helpless. I could throw a nade or stoker fire and maybe get 3 but I am talking about just plane shooting and good shooting at that I am talking rocking heads!

3 or 4 Patches ago stoker felt amazing. Crouch and unload 10 bullets (1hs) and down someone running full speed at mid range. That is what I hopped the game would feel like. If I am back raging a group of 3 or 4 people I really do not know how to handle the situation.

I have no comment on Loadout Cards or Augments. I have said my peace with them.

Player movement in general I feel like the players are floating above the ground. And dont get me started about hugging a wall and spamming jump.

As you can see by my words above it is sort of hard to explain the odd feeling I and other get from DB. The overall speed of the game is 2-toned and my eyes feel like they are going to glaze over! More Teamwork, more reasons to gib (aka maybe make Saw stronger) and give us the power to make great shots because right now in order to win you just need to spam away. I would personally love if the abilities worked hand in hand with the shooting. This will give the game the high skill ceiling it needs.

(Ashog) #2

Well, if I may, I don’t wanna contradict most of the things above but rather look at things from a different side.

Now, the cards and loadouts and augments are here to stay, I think that is clear more or less, as they are now in the core of the game model. It is just about balancing them out as Paul said, and this is what they do now and this is what will take time.
The same thing goes to weapons balancing. I am sure they will get it right sooner or later, perhaps this wasn’t the focus too much till now.
I think they mainly focused lately on bringing the game to steam, polishing some new features like improved UI, store, loadout selection and matchmaking. I guess also xigncode was updated.

What I see as more problematic (and even worsening) is maps. I am sorry to say this but they are nowadays not even close to be as exciting as they were in alpha. The maps became bland, linear, short and uninteresting - it feels more like driving F1 car in Monaco through tunnels with limited sight and narrow streets. I mean 1 map like this surely could be entertaining for a difference but when the general design is like this, well it is meh.

Where are those larger open epic area maps from ET? Where are multiple flanking routes, where are side objectives, command posts, intense demanding crossfire chokepoints to hold? I still miss the original Waterloo map with the epic balcony fights, double gate plants and very intense last dynomight objective on the old Camden Lock. And that church hold objective (even though always deficient) on WC? I miss it. It just needed some more polish but they removed it due to multiple whines of people who don’t understand and don’t have the patience. Same goes to Camden. Well people, you got what you wanted - castrated maps. Have fun!

Another point is performance. I have no idea what they did but with this new version I have huge lags EVERY time an airstrike or grenade explosion happens (on all low). Constant lag show. Promised gradual optimisations (1 year ago) still missing. As a result i get killed more while in lag than in action.

Prediction and death ghost depiction has improved greatly. Don’t have any complaints about that anymore.

The UI is still bugged, such as chats and voicechats and noone seems to care about it. Minus to SD on that.

I can’t say much about character progression as it seems to work ok, I think. The missions are a valid tool to get extra xp and coins needed for buying mercs. They also added xp awards for achievements which seriously helps progression when you make multikills and stuff like that. My only complaint is that one seems to have no way to check the XP progress to next level apart from endgame screen (or at least I haven’t found it). Well, clearly Nexon will have it on a future stats page but I also would like to be able to check this in-game at any time too (like in ETQW).

Weapons balance as said is far from optimal, as well as gadgets. For example proxy’s smg seems to be more powerful than a machine gun at any distance. So that Proxies even prefer to use smg over primary shottie. Aura’s healing station (especially with the 30% healing speed augment) is just a healing bus as it was a patch before so nothing changed. Her shotgun is still a notch overpowered too, and as O.P. said, in combo with her speed/accelleration, she turns into a classic rambo.

Objectives are all look-alike, bland and boring (apart from the final Underground objective) which was always fun due to its layout (classical ET objective). Btw, I have spotted some bugs with untouchable mines planted into gas pathway near walls on Underground.

The final WC objective is as dumb as ever - silly airstrike spawnrapes, short runs of defence to objective and no side routes… Screw it. Even the raisable bridge there is less useful nowadays than in alpha.

Matchmaking objective game button doesn’t work, as many have already noticed, as well as the ping filter because for most servers the pings aren’t reported, it seems. The gamebrowser is sloooow, by the time it refreshes according to filters, the reported unfull servers already become full :slight_smile:

What else…

Waiting times! They are still overkill. 20 secs waiting to connect/load maps. Then 20 seconds for everyone to lock in. Then 20 seconds or more for warm-up. And I am sure more waiting for some other reasons such as full 20 seconds spawntime to wait if you join mid-game. It would be GREAT to reduce those times.

Inability to damage EV with bullets is very irritating. This and absence of nades results in people spawning as multiple Arties/Skyhammers and raging about airstrike energy team pool always busy/empty. Bring back please our ability to damage EV with bullets!

As for the rest, I think the gameplay suffers currently from too many newbies and 9 y/o CoD kids not knowing the gameplay but this will improve with time. need to be patient (even tho it’s hard, I also lose it at times :wink: ).

So let’s see how it goes, hope the team gets more people working on it. Hey Paul ^^

Have heard virtually nothing from BongoBoy and his story for years now! Bad boy! :stuck_out_tongue:

(k0k0nat) #3

Another feedback thread that discusses the situation we have since … ever.

• movement feels like bouncy ball, proxy and auras running around with 500km/h
  • gunfights are almost 100% random and horrible
  • maps, maps, maps
  • arty… has… a … useles… atillery ? Does not even 50% DMG to the EV?! … the EV itself is always RED and can not be marked itself?!
  • sawbonez/SMG hardcore nerved
  • Fragger … godmode
  • Aura … godlike healing stations

Dont know why I am even posting here in this thread.
I am bored of this. Cant play DB without raging after 5 minutes.

(Ashog) #4

Yeah, Sawbonez is a bit weakish nowadays, especially his first primary weapon; second primary alternative is a notch better.

I’ve had a nice duel on Underground with enemy Aura yesterday. She was on the 1st objective’s roof and I was as Sawbonez on the balcony attacking.
I was shooting her, she was shooting me with her shotgun. And even though I landed many shots into her using whole clip (hs included), she still managed to kill me from such a distance with shotgun. This was so surreal that I wasn’t even angry :slight_smile:
I just thought: oh, they nerfed, oh, okay, oh. And respawned.

PS. I just realized they implemented the much asked server auto-join queue! Thanks a lot for that!

Also the music update is great.

(tangoliber) #5

[QUOTE=k0k0nat;523289]proxy and auras running around with 500km/h
.[/QUOTE]

And it’s awesome! More speed! Mooooore speeeed!

(INF3RN0) #6

??? With shotguns, mini, nader, ofc this is true, but everything else will dink heads.

(spookify) #7

The blurr that is Proxy and Aura I find it much harder on this patch to track them. I also find popping heads over all harder on this patch. Something seems up with the server performance.

(INF3RN0) #8

I had to switch through a lot of drivers to find the ones that give me the most FPS and least stuttering. Headshot consistency feels pretty solid overall for me, even playing on EU.

(BMXer) #9

I feel like this may be due to the other guy’s ping. There have been more than a few times I was laying into a guy and it seemed to be taking way too long for him to die. Check the scoreboard after the encounter and sure enough, the guy who refused to die had 198 some odd ping.
And it makes the situation worse because no one seems to care about their ping. Every match has more players with 100+ ping than players with reasonable pings.
I played yesterday and 5 out of 8 players on my team had 190-250 ping!

(fubar) #10

This. So. Much.

Also, holy ****ing **** am I annoyed to death by these utterly pointless, obnoxious and repetitive warmup cutscenes. For the love of god. CUT IT OUT. They offer absolutely nothing. For crying out loud you can see the stupid ****ing icon from any point at any given time of the map that yells out “ATTACK” or “DEFEND” on the middle of your screen. Is there really a need other than to annoy the entire human race?

(spookify) #11

Way to go SD! This hotfix patch as amazeballs!! Menu is much faster!!

Side note i love the que slash auto join! Great coding to get that in and no one really talks about it. It is hidden a little in the info and its night right on the first pull down but it is there.

Thanks again for the hot fix! Good work :slight_smile:

(INF3RN0) #12

[QUOTE=spookify;523357]Way to go SD! This hotfix patch as amazeballs!! Menu is much faster!!

Side note i love the que slash auto join! Great coding to get that in and no one really talks about it. It is hidden a little in the info and its night right on the first pull down but it is there.

Thanks again for the hot fix! Good work :)[/QUOTE]

Autojoins been there for a while lol. Just their best kept secret…

(twt_thunder) #13

I finally manage a little time yesterday to fire this baby for the very first time…
And I only got the feeling of playing brink again, I know there is much more in this game…
But I as many others I supose , didnt get “THAT” feeling with this.
But I will fire her again to try to adapt a bit more to see.
Just have the feeling I will be stuck on ET for yet some years:rolleyes:

(spookify) #14

How has everyone’s “feel” with the Iron-Sights been going?

I have noticed I am using IS more at mid range more then long range. I get this horrible kick aiming at long range and the IS is actaully bigger then the person I am shooting at. Fragger for example at long range IS I need to tap the trigger because anything over 2 shots will blast you above his head. I have tried to pull down but there is that weird horizontal recoil. Plus I would like to mention that the animation and sound on tapping fraggers gun is not smooth in the least.

Some other IS work better then other at Long Range. I will need to do some more testing but Skyhammers gun feels pretty darn good. Plus I can feel the crouch reward on his gun!

All in All I was never a fan of IS but at super long range with the fall off there might be a need for it. I just wish I could control it more. Tap control and possible a pull down control aka muscle memory but the vertical recoil seem a little random when you mix in the horizontal recoil with the weird animation and sound.

I would also like SD to look at the feel of damage you receive from shotguns. I posted hereabout it.

I have also mentioned above about the acceleration speed of shotguns and that would also be looked at. I am find with the top speed but when they are bouncing off wall, then instantly long jumping and then bugging out all over the place it is a lot for the eye to take in. Oh yeah and when that it all happening if they land a hit your entire screen flashes and goes red on the edges so its like a double whammy of noise in your face and eyes.

I feel nades on fragger are finally right. I have stopped getting my massive multi kills from it but I can still place a nade on someone and it does kill them. So I think mission accomplished here.

Arty’s gun feels a lot slower and him vs a fragger or sky or saw is a very good battle, but when you put him up against a aura or proxy I find it very hard to keep up with their speed. I might just suck at aiming but I have been knifed so many times by a proxy when I was a Arty I stopped playing him.

Skyhammer, arty is very nice and I do like the reduced cooldown. I still find it a little hard to place the stick. Its the gravity, bouncing and animation of the throw that is still a little off. The throw almost feels random. If I am on WC last stage attacking and I want to place it on the rock I find it very hard to do so. This maybe from lack of trying but its just point and click like many other games.

Saw feels pretty good. You really have to nail the head many many times against a Fragger to win but is doable. Still find the medic’ing a little weak especially trying to keep yourself alive. Its there and it works but you need to run away a lot to achieve your kill streaks. (I still dont like the fact it stop healing after taking damage :-p )

Gibbing - The bodys against the wall sometime sit upright and the bodies on the ground still flop around. I guess I really dont mind it as much as I used to but maybe the animation can be cleaned up a bit so it is more realistic?

Side Note: I would also like a reason to gib more. A reason to give up my life in order to gib a player.

Player image while on MG. I saw a Auro on an MG yesterday and her head was the size of my IS! Beyond Tiny WTF? I literally had to tap one bullet at a time to hit this little black dot of a head. It was a little ridiculous.

People have been complaining on how tanky the EV is but I like it. Other mercs will come into this game and then people will be saying why is the EV like paper! So keeping it here is good until we get the other classes back.

I still have not played MM ranked yet because I am still trying to figure out warping and server lag. I am also not sure if to many people are queing up in that???

(INF3RN0) #15

Some of the IS animations are still messed up, ex. k121, heavy pistols. I had to turn on hit markers and scale them down so that I could see where the bullets were actually going (middle of IS on k121 and center of model on pistol). I’ve tried almost everything so far and besides the shotgun (usual suspect) it feels pretty well balanced and useful. The only IS I really dislike is on the brick pistol (smith wejhdkfgs???), which is the one with the worst IS recoil animation.

(k0k0nat) #16

The movement is so fast, that using IS is a total waste. Even on long range, this bouncyball-floating movement makes IS almost useless. It covers 1/3 of your screen and players just run away or are covered by the gun model. If your not using a mouse sens. over 9000, forget about IS. ( maybe it works for that lame-merc fragger, i dont know)

Thx for games full of proxies and auras, mr. baracko barmer.

PS: What happened to team glow / team colors? I thought we finally had a cure for washed out team colors during the last build?!

(Szakalot) #17

I’m all with Spooky as far as decreasing light merc’s acceleration.

(Glottis-3D) #18

hmm, u r both right. Max speed is ok. BUT manoeuvrability is Proxy’s/Aura’s most effective defence.
The acceleration will definitely reduce this.

As much as i LOVE these fast mercs. I am very conserned about how little effort it takes to run in circles and tripple walljump as Proxy and how much more effort it takes to track and kill those sexy things. Dodging should be more demanding. A little bit.

Proxy and Aura should be fastest and most hard-to-hit. But in less extent than it is now.

(Szakalot) #19

[QUOTE=Glottis-3D;523634]hmm, u r both right. Max speed is ok. BUT manoeuvrability is Proxy’s/Aura’s most effective defence.
The acceleration will definitely reduce this.

As much as i LOVE these fast mercs. I am very conserned about how little effort it takes to run in circles and tripple walljump as Proxy and how much more effort it takes to track and kill those sexy things. Dodging should be more demanding. A little bit.

Proxy and Aura should be fastest and most hard-to-hit. But in less extent than it is now.[/QUOTE]

The thing lower acceleration will do the most is decrease their potential in a straight up battle. Proxies/Auras can still dodge effectively when being shot at, but by being committed to a certain dodging pattern, making them rely more on ambush techniques rather than ‘run&gun, plonk my station down and circle-strafe around it’.

Present strafing speed of light mercs feels faster than W:ET with sprinting on (which is what lots of people would use to break out of headlining), and it makes for a chaotic battle were positioning becomes irrelevant, akin to quake3 deathmatch shotguns only.

Lower acceleration will force the light mercs to be a little more careful about their plan, cause atm. its brainless waltzing around.

(Zarlor) #20

I feel like iron sights are now useful. A few patches ago I basically gave up on using it, but now there are situations where I use it and it makes sense and works as I feel it should. I still have trouble killing turret guys from long range even tapping with IS, but usually a sniper can take them out so I just avoid being exposed until they are taken out.