Disappointed as an e-sports player

(ToonBE) #1

I am very disappointed after this relaunch… I am seeing few potential atm for a competitive scene… Yes there is ranked mm but that is honestly just glorified public play… Why did they not accompany this relaunch with a cup? With prizes like special cards or credits? No place to see player profiles? No ladders? No possibility to make teams? No team profiles? No extra info about anti cheat? Just nexon client? Really?! Etc etc. I had high hopes, but now it seems like a step in the wrong direction… Meh

(Alchemy) #2

it’s still closed beta ffs. calm down.

(montheponies) #3

Aye, agreed.

(ToonBE) #4

Not really closed beta anymore. Everybody can buy in and you can even start spending irl money. The game is very far in development and there isn’t even a hint on those things… Organizing a cup could have been a could way to show us that they care about competitive. I mean no info about AC and dedicated servers? The open beta is only few months away… I guess we will see, but I have lowered my expectations… I guess such things are more from the past.

(tokamak) #5

This is still of the scale and scope of what many developers would call a ‘technical alpha’.

(Tomme) #6

While it doesn’t yet have the “fancy stuff” in regards to eSports, it has, what I think is the most important, good, solid, core gameplay. It lends its self to eSports a lot better than many other games.

(matsy) #7

Like @Tomme has said it is more important that a game works.

I’m not going to lie and say it would be great to have X,Y, and Z in a game but from my experience of playing since the rtcw days. The community is what makes a great game. The rules will evolve with the players over time, and as will the competitions. I would hate of the idea of being forced to use everything via the game by the developers. (Sadly to some extent Dirty Bomb will be…)

I think gamers have started to become lazy, and expectations have become distorted, and totally unacceptable.

I personally can’t think of any other game mode that lends it self to competitive play as much as stop watch does. For me, it is the ultimate team based FPS.

And on some of the points around anti-cheat, I would expect Splash Damage to keep details on this to themselves.

(PixelTwitch) #8

You have no way of knowing this…
We have very limited knowledge of what is coming, true…
However, the feeling I think many of us are getting is “Ok, let’s clean this up a little and move on to some extra content”
Feels like they are almost happy/finished with the core.

(tokamak) #9

I’m more referring to how inflated the definitions have become.

(matsy) #10

I disagree.

I think the current portrayal of the game is comparable with the Enemy Territory Quake Wars beta.

It was released as a beta but nothing of note changed between beta and gold, Dirty Bomb is on going till ‘release’ but I can’t imagine the fundamentals will change.

(Bloodbite) #11

[QUOTE=PixelTwitch;523025]You have no way of knowing this…
We have very limited knowledge of what is coming, true…
However, the feeling I think many of us are getting is “Ok, let’s clean this up a little and move on to some extra content”
Feels like they are almost happy/finished with the core.[/QUOTE]

Those of us that have been in it since the pre-alpha whatever phase… we know where it has come from, and how many things have been scrapped and redesigned/rebuilt/respecced.

They’re not shoveling out their initial game design and then balancing/patching post release (like so many other developers do)… the plan is to make it as solid a foundation as possible once it gets that official “release” status.

Extra content is a horribly bad idea at this point because that’s what everyone else does to hide the flaws of their product. Personally, my gaming time keeps shrinking and shrinking each year… I’m beyond the point of wasting my time and money on someone’s AAA failure, or a brilliant little title that died because of a handful of bugs that the community were too impatient to see patched/fixed. I would like to see Splash succeed for a lot of reasons, but more importantly… I don’t want to waste my shrinking free time on unfinished, substandard simpleton filth.

The other reason why the extra content isn’t available is because they actually aren’t happy with the core… not happy enough at least. Little tweaks that we would notice if we were able to clock up the hours and familiarity of tons of loaded servers like back in W:ET’s glory days… I know there are movement tweaks each time I try the game after recent patches, I just can’t put my finger on exactly what sometimes… or if those alterations in movement and feel come are actually netcode related.

I suspect we’ll move on from what the game is now in terms of features and content when, and only when, they are absolutely confident the only core twiddling required henceforth are the inevitable community driven balancing issues.