So, I have a few issues with the Movement System...

(PixelTwitch) #1

1, Long Jump Punishment.
Now I am totally cool with the punishment being there after you land a simple long jump where you do not add airtime and/or extra velocity via wall jumps and/or height. I agree it is important to try and prevent long jumps becoming the next strafe jump and being spammed as a replacement to basic movement. My issue is currently based on punishment after adding to the jump via more advanced movement. A simple fix in my eyes would be to start the long jump punishment timer from the instance you leave the ground instead of the instance you land. Basically, if I do a complex long jump + 2 wall jump combo the punishment should not be applied. Not due to balance or anything else like that, just simply down to the way it feels to the player. Having the punishment based on a Mercs air time would mean that the movement system would be used more overall yet still be gated from the spam problem the punishment was designed to assist with. In return for such a change, more players should be persuaded to experiment with the movement system and that should result in more dynamic play even at lower levels.

2, Long Jump Prior Speed Requirement.
In earlier builds of the game the Long Jump could be triggered almost instantly after tapping sprint, crouch and jump. Mixing that sprint, crouch, jump and direction key with a well timed mouse flick used to allow you to do what was effectively a sideways dodge into cover. This looked so cool when shooting at someone that does it as well as feeling cool to pull it off. Due to the punishment after landing a long jump it was only really valuable in certain areas as doing this move in the wide open would bring you to almost a dead stop when you landed, meaning your head would be popped off easily. The lack of speed requirement also made more advanced jumps easier when you have very little room for maneuver (like being stood on boxes for instance). Since removing this ability you also made jumping back into cover after using defibs much harder. I now feel the defibs make my character feel really clunky.

3, Wall Jump Push Angle.
For the most part, when dealing with flat surfaces the wall jumping works as intended. However there are dozens of edge cases where the wall jump can throw you off your trajectory. This happens mostly off rounded surfaces and some of the more complex static meshes. Often pulling you inwards towards the wall if jumping off a surface that is to the south east or south west of your character. Simplifying the system to a set “Y” & “X” velocity boost based on a players camera location and keys held could really increase a players control over movement and give more consistent results. Basing the push on the angle to and of the wall will always cause some issues on more complex collision. Not only is this bad for the way a player experiences the jump but even more concerning is the fact that this allows certain jumps that should be impossible in theory, really easy. I believe that without changing this, its only a matter of time before people (people like me) start to be able to break maps once again and find all sorts of broken places to hide. Doing it based on camera position and current momentum limits the potential jumps to ones that are for the most part predictable. Sure, in the short term after such a change we will find dozens of new trick jumps that you want to remove but its better that then having to deal with collision more than map design.

(Glottis-3D) #2

agree on all three issues =)

1. not enough air control for some realy skill demanding jumps (not currently in any maps, but i hope they will be)
    like when you have to walljump and 180+ deg turn midair jump to some window.
    i do not ask for quake3 cpma - kind of insane control. just a little more, so that is is important ang more signifisent

(ToonBE) #3

Not really on par with Pixel regarding trick jumps though (still can’t make the terminal jump:p), but it sounds logical. I def agree removing the penalty after a complex trick jump.

(onYn) #4

Well, I really do miss strafe jumping :D. Can´t help it, but having something to do while moving - that actually helps you get faster where you want to go - just makes the game experience much more fluent for me. Seeing the acceleration spike up over and over again when performing the strafe properly is giving me just the right pump to jump in the next fight :slight_smile: