canyon depths - Problems with lightmaps going berzerk

(Yatta) #1

Hello, its been years since I posted here. Im trying to release a final version of my map “canyon depths”. Its about done but recently my light compile is giving me a headache.

For some reason, whatever I do, I end up with results like this :

I tried brush cleanup, and changing most light compile parameters (samples, samplesize, lightmapsize & so on).
(screenshot made with -fast -lomem -samples 2 -samplesize 8 -lightmapsize 512 -filter -approx 20)

The lightmap does change at every try, so I know its not the wrong pk3 or some file write problem.

Any suggestions ?

(WuTangH) #2

Maybe you will find solution here:
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/41835-texture-problem!
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/39998-Need-help-Terrain-has-a-dark-lightmap-if-lightmapMergable-is-used

(Teuthis) #3

Look for your radiant.exe and run it. Then use the repair option. Seems a system file or the q3map2 is corrupt. The repair option should fix this, had similar problems once and this option fixed it.

(Yatta) #4

WuTangH > Thanks for your suggestions. Adter reading, first link appears to be a video drivers / gpu problems, and second is addressing a terrain lighting problem, it donest seem to be the same thing happening here (lightmap allocation messed up).

Teuthis > So you’re suggesting something could be wrong with radiant itself, or q3map2 ? Ill try to poke arround that, for the repair option, is there something inside radiant for that, or are you talking about the software installation “repair” option ?

(KeMoN) #5

Unfortunately I can’t help you with this problem. However I noticed you are using -lomem as compile parameter.
I suggest you remove that parameter and try this option instead.

Good luck with your lightmap issue. Looking forward to the solution.

(Yatta) #6

Hey nice trick, that memory switch !! Didnt know that was possible. Could actually run the light with that without SAFE_MALLOC, and its much faster.

As for the result … well strangely enough the problem is still here but affect less surfaces … weird.

Still, im puzzled as it happens consistently, whatever I do. The only variation is that the misplaced lightmaps arent always appearing at the same place, which at least tells me my new compile ‘worked’.

(Teuthis) #7

[QUOTE=Yatta;520310]WuTangH > Thanks for your suggestions. Adter reading, first link appears to be a video drivers / gpu problems, and second is addressing a terrain lighting problem, it donest seem to be the same thing happening here (lightmap allocation messed up).

Teuthis > So you’re suggesting something could be wrong with radiant itself, or q3map2 ? Ill try to poke arround that, for the repair option, is there something inside radiant for that, or are you talking about the software installation “repair” option ?[/QUOTE]

I mean the repair Option of Software Installation. When you execute the exe file you are Asked to either install or repair. If you use repair, all essential files to Run the radiant and q3map2 will be replaced. Worked for me, hopefully this Solves your issue.

(Mateos) #8

Have you written specific shaders for the surfaces? What have you changed between then and now to get this? Maybe use -external?

(Is it a mail from a fan which made you going back to it, out of curiosity? :D)

(Yatta) #9

Mateos > went back to a light map size of 128. A yes. Mail from fans (yes, a few different people actually asked for it along the years ! Kinda makes me proud :stuck_out_tongue: … and ashamed i didnt complete it earlier !)