RAD Soldiers and the Chrome Web Store part ways

(Silvanoshi) #1

It’s with a heavy heart that we announce that RAD Soldiers will soon leave the Chrome Web Store. Changes to the Chrome Web Store and Unity (the game engine RAD Soldiers is built with), means the game will no longer be able to function within Chrome*.

We’ll be taking down the Chrome version in two stages. First is the removal from the Chrome Web Store at the end of January 2015, meaning it will no longer be possible to download the game. Then on the 2nd of March 2015, the Chrome version will no longer support purchases, this means you will not be able to make any real money purchases in the game. Any versions that you had previously downloaded should still remain playable however.

Rest assured the iOS version of RAD Soldiers will not be affected by any of these changes. So if you have a compatible iPhone or iPad you’ll be able to continue playing explosive turn based battles on the iOS App Store, and purchase packs and Coins as per normal. Just be sure to link your game to a WarChest account to carry across your progress (done via the Options/Settings menu)!

Bringing RAD Soldiers to the Chrome Web Store was a joyous moment for everyone here at the studio. Not only was it the culmination of months of hard work, saying farewell to the Chrome Web Store isn’t easy and we’d like to take this time to thank you for all the support you’ve shown us, and hope that you’ve enjoyed your RAD battles on Chrome.

Thank you for your understanding. We’ve popped a FAQ below to address a few of the important points that’ll arise from this change. As always, please feel free to ask any further questions that you may have, in a reply below.

FAQ

*If I have already downloaded the Chrome version of RAD Soldiers, will I still be able to play?

[ul]
[li]You will indeed! Although after the 2nd of March 2015, making new real money purchases will no longer be possible with the Chrome version of the game.
[/li][/ul]
Will it be possible to download RAD Soldiers from the Chrome store in future?

[ul]
[li]After January 2015, no it will not; so if you want to dive into some RAD action on Chrome, be sure to download RAD Soldiers now!
[/li][/ul]
Will I be able to buy soldiers using Coins I earn in-game, after March deadline?

[ul]
[li]Yes sir!
[/li][/ul]
Do these changes affect RAD Soldiers for iOS?

[ul]
[li]Not in the slightest. RAD Soldiers will remain in the iOS store and continue to support all functionality including the ability to play multiplayer games and purchase Coins and packs.
[/li][/ul]
Will I be able to transfer my game progress, unlocks & Coins from the Chrome version to iOS?

[ul]
[li]For sure! All you need to do is create & link a WarChest account (which is done via the Options/Settings menu).
[/li][/ul]

(Mustang) #2

Will there be a PC standalone version at some point?

(tinker) #3

Or … well … another chance to download the game?

I had to deinstall because it did not update, but could not download the new version due to bad connection (both sides as it seemed, never had such a problem with chrome stuff before)

announcing this 32hours before impact is quite… sudden

(Silvanoshi) #4

Something like that hasn’t been ruled out, but the iOS version will be the only version available once the Chrome Store option is taken offline.

[QUOTE=tinker;520364]Or … well … another chance to download the game?

I had to deinstall because it did not update, but could not download the new version due to bad connection (both sides as it seemed, never had such a problem with chrome stuff before)

announcing this 32hours before impact is quite… sudden[/QUOTE]

Apologies for the relatively short notice period. As of now, the game is still available in the Chrome Web Store, so snap it up while it’s still there if you’re looking to grab it now.

(Ca9ine) #5

So in effect, RAD Soldiers will receive no updates whatsoever when it’s removed from the store?

(tinker) #6

[QUOTE=Silvanoshi;520413]
Apologies for the relatively short notice period. As of now, the game is still available in the Chrome Web Store, so snap it up while it’s still there if you’re looking to grab it now.[/QUOTE]

yeah I saw that, but the download still does not work…

it seems to be ~150mb to download
when I start downloading, I see it in the download-panel… but it takes ~ 2hours before the download starts… and usually stops right after the actual start
Before that, the “downloadable content” [kind of] raises from 1kb to ~150mb, without a single KB download
tried it with fast internet as well, no difference.

(Silvanoshi) #7

Hmmm, very odd.

I just gave it a go, and was able to download it without any issue. It did take a little while to start, and went from and empty bar to entirely full in a split second though, which could indicate that it’s downloading without giving any on-screen indication until the download is complete. You might just need to give it some more time…although 2 hours is quite a lot. Are you using Wifi? If so, are you able to try with a wired connection?

(tinker) #8

[QUOTE=Silvanoshi;520485]Hmmm, very odd.

I just gave it a go, and was able to download it without any issue. It did take a little while to start, and went from and empty bar to entirely full in a split second though, which could indicate that it’s downloading without giving any on-screen indication until the download is complete. You might just need to give it some more time…although 2 hours is quite a lot. Are you using Wifi? If so, are you able to try with a wired connection?[/QUOTE]

I DO see the progress, but there is none. the “downloadable” content gets more and more, and at some point (somewhere between 100and 150mb ) without a single KB actual download, it fails

for me it seems like the whole thing is UPloaded from one server to another, before actually downloaded from my computer.

I tried it 6 times yet, always letting it run till the point of fail

tried w-lan ( 54kb/s)
and a wired connection twice ( ~ 600kb/s)
but no difference, since nothing is actually downloaded…

(Ca9ine) #9

It’ll come around, just tinker some more…

:cool:

(Silvanoshi) #10

Very strange indeed. I’ve tried this from 3 different internet service providers now, and haven’t had an issue with any of them. I’m wondering if it’s some kind of odd issue with the routing of your download to your internet service provider. This is a long shot, but do you have any free wifi belonging to other network operators that you might be able to check out?

(tinker) #11

No chance, no house nearby, no device to share Internet…

Did I mention it is a via satellite connection?
It didn’t work… Whatever, not important actually, only little sad.

Last option would be if someone uploads the data somewhere, adds a link in the forum, so people could actually download it from here… Just for those who want to…
Maybe there are others who would like that in the near future … People who also missed to download or had same issue.

(Silvanoshi) #12

Ahah…the fact that it’s a satellite connection may well have something to do with the problem as latency times tend to be a tad higher with satellite connections than they do with phone or cable.

It seems as though the folks at Google really are taking their time. RAD is still available via Chrome, so you can still nab it from there if you do manage to get onto another connection at some stage (easier said than done, I know).