Old BRINK player, interested in Dirty Bomb

(Dr.Ricktofen) #1

Thought I might as well try. Yes this is a beg thread.

Followed BRINK from the very start all the way to release, was abit dissapointed of the game, played the hell out of it tho. Felt like they left it to die not long after it was released (tho they did do a few patches and a DLC which they gave free), and the community (at least on playstation 3) pretty much died and I moved on. No idea of how the community (if there still is one) is doing today.

I remember hearing about Dirty Bomb a year or so ago, didn’t pay much attention to it, didn’t look into it. Saw it again a month or two ago, looked into it, found out it was SD making it, and that it looked like a BRINK 2.0. Remembered SD had a forum, recovered my account and now im here.

So. Hows about giving a nice little beta key for Dirty Bomb to a old fan who supported the hell out of BRINK and splashdamage, eh?
:stroggtapir:

Skimming through my posts was odd, like a time capsule reminding how immature I was back in the day, but I guess that’s how growing up works. Also, I don’t know what the hell H0RSE is a reference to, might have been a user on the Bethesda froums, I posted ALOT on the brink subforum there long before posting here.

Also, I haven’t touched a console in years, so disregard my PSN crap, too lazy to change all this old stuff on my profile right now. I pretty much only play PC nowadays.

(Rex) #2

The title already made me want not to give you one.

(Khamul) #3

Why don’t you respect pure old school players ? Ehh …

(Dr.Ricktofen) #4

Looking at your recent posts on these forums, I couldn’t care any less about what you think of the title of this thread or if you wanted to give me a beta key or not.

Go bring your edgy and bad attitude elsewhere, friend.

(Glottis-3D) #5

brink was only in 2011, not that old =)

(.FROST.) #6

+1; everyone gets that just for mentioning my most favorite (released)FPS of all time :wink:

(Dr.Ricktofen) #7

In a age of gaming where a game becomes “outdated” in less than a year, I think a 4 year old game is pretty old.

(Khamul) #8

I don’t think so.

(.FROST.) #9

I don’t think so either. Firstly it depends on the game genre. Games of a genre that doesn’t get too much coverage usually have a much longer lifespan, than those games of a genre that cranks out game after game. Secondly it depends on the platform; many console games have a much longer lifespan than PC games(yet even the PC has some remarkably old titles that are still getting played. And last but not least; if a game is the epitome of a certain genre, or subgenre, it can easilly be played up to 10 years, some console games are even in their late teens, or even twenties and they are still getting played by a huge number of players, even competitively.

PS: People still play CS Source, 1.6 and the old Wolfenstein games, others still play the original Starcraft, and WoW is already in its 12th year. Then there are some flight sims that are still getting modded since 19(!) years and therefore look almost up to date, Streetfighter 4 is out since 5 years, but it’s still the most played fighting game in the world(maybe except for Smash, which is kinda hilarious, but a entirely different stoy) etc. you get it.

What I wanna say; if a game is unique and awesome, it will still be unique and awesome in 10, 20yrs from now. I’ve played Street Fighter 2 HD Remix and it’s still as challenging as the original was, 22yrs ago, especially in PvP. Brink definitely had this potential for longevitiy, but since it was rushed out in this half done state, there was almost nothing that could’ve saved it from its fate.

I had this game preordered and actually got it on day one, or maybe even a day before that, but I couldn’t properly play it for 10-14 days, because it caused some severe(!) problems with my ATI-card; the thread is still somewhere in this forum. Brink lacked what is mandatory for longevity; a strong focus. Bethesda, or even SD tried to cater this game to everyone out there, but in the end didn’t really reached anyone, except for some enthusiasts like myself and a couple others. The competetive scene didn’t liked it for various reasons and for the casual players it wasn’t casually enough. And even though the design was absolutely great, the ingame textures where extremely low-res; so nothing there for graphic whore$ either. Then it had no SDK and the meager amount of maps and game-modes finally killed everything that was still breathing at the end.

(Ruben0s) #10

“****ty games that your dumb ass paid full price for”

I was shocked finding out that brink is the most mentioned game (thread is from 2015 lol).

(.FROST.) #11

[QUOTE=Ruben0s;519978]"****ty games that your dumb ass paid full price for"

I was shocked finding out that brink is the most mentioned game (thread is from 2015 lol).[/QUOTE]

Once the hate-train is rolling, there’s only little one can do to stop it. I had around 1000hrs of unfiltered fun for around 40-50€; nbdy can say that wasn’t a fair trade. And it also kinda brought me in on Dirty Bomb, what else could I have wished for?

(Floris) #12

[QUOTE=Ruben0s;519978]"****ty games that your dumb ass paid full price for"

I was shocked finding out that brink is the most mentioned game (thread is from 2015 lol).[/QUOTE]

Brink was very disappointing though, relative to the expectations a lot of people had. Not sure how disappointed I was, I never really bought into the “ending of a genre as we know it” hype. Besides, I had better things to do when the game was released (graduate for my bachelor).