Entities triggered in a randomly Fashion?

(Teuthis) #1

I have a wierd question. Is it possible to randomly Control certain entities in the Map via script? Think of a tank driving down the road and then randomly some Parts of buildings fall apart due to airstrike Hits. Since the Target explosions have let’ say 10 options Where they can randomly occur, this Would make the Map less predictable and keeps the Fun High.

Anyone knows whether this can be done scriptwise?

(ailmanki) #2

Should be possible, as there is a random setting for accum’s
http://games.chruker.dk/enemy_territory/scripting_reference.php#accum_registers

On the topic of gameplay, I would not suggest to add random elements to a map, which have influence on gameplay. Unless its perfect - whatever that means.
If you look at your map from a competitive view, random gameplay elements are probably not really welcome. Although it can be welcome… as some games build up on the “luck” factor and are played competitively.

(Teuthis) #3

[QUOTE=ailmanki;517812]Should be possible, as there is a random setting for accum’s
http://games.chruker.dk/enemy_territory/scripting_reference.php#accum_registers

On the topic of gameplay, I would not suggest to add random elements to a map, which have influence on gameplay. Unless its perfect - whatever that means.
If you look at your map from a competitive view, random gameplay elements are probably not really welcome. Although it can be welcome… as some games build up on the “luck” factor and are played competitively.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a Lot ailmanki. I agree that this Option should only be played if the gameplay is Not Affected. In fact i Would use it to give the Map a more realistic effect. If you Play goldrush you know that the tank always at the Same Position activates the rubble so this is 100% predictable. But if you now assume a tank Going down a bombed road Where all houses are fragile, you Would assume that the tank can let some Parts of the Building collapse. This Would Not Affect gameplay at all (as Long as the Pieces don’t block the road or smash People) but the random effect Would add a realistic value Never been in a Map before. This Option is so Great I need to Try this out :wink:

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks for Taking the Time.

(Yatta) #4

You have two problems with that.

First one is the obvious gameplay balance. Of course if you’re talking about buildings that you cant enter even when destroyed and that play no role in line of sights, its ok to make their destruction random.

Second problem is that if you make it entirely random, it will be very likely for most of your buildings to be destroyed when no one is looking, thus wasting the show. You could make it semi-random : start a timer with random time (few seconds max) only when someone comes to a point he’s likely to look at the building.

(Teuthis) #5

Randomness triggered by a trigger multiple, so you need to activate the trigger multiple to make houses close by to collapse. And all this without affecting gameplay. So both your concerns are addressed. Thought about this already myself and you are correct of course