Ranking System

(spookify) #1

How would you like to see ranking?

Please note this is for ranking… Match Making has been discussed here and looks to be based on a custom ELO Rank System based around 5v5.
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/41756-Get-the-Balance-Right?p=511943&viewfull=1#post511943

But back to the question: What kind of rank or ranking system would you like to see?

LOL has the League System which I have seen works very nice…

1. [li]Bronze: Between 0 and 1149 (Team: 0-1249) (Top 100%) [/li][li]Silver: Between 1150 and 1499 (Team: 1250-1449) (Top 68%-13%) Majority of Active Player Base [/li][li]Gold: Between 1500 and 1849 (Team: 1450-1649) (Top 13%-1.5%) [/li][li]Platinum: Between 1850 and 2199 (Team: 1650-1849) (Top 1.5%-0.1%) [/li][li]Diamond: 2200 and above (Team: 1850+) (Top 0.1%) [/li]********In addition, rankings were subdivided into smaller sections, like Bronze V or Gold II. These are sectioned off every seventy points of elo (1150-1220 is Silver V, 1220-1290 is Silver IV, etc.).

I really like this system because there are 5 ranked with 8 sub ranks so 40 possible ranks… Plus the fact that the XP system makes it very hard for a casual player to get past Silver.

I would personally like to see a 50 Rank system either designed for Dirty Bomb or used bits and pieces of other game ideas… Again I like the LOL rank because you get that cool border however I didnt know what it meant half of the time… The one thing I do like is that the rank is not revived until the map is loading so people are not /quitting!!!

It was also stated by SD way way back in the day that you will have to be a special rank or have a certain amount of XP before you can join ranked games… This is very important because it reduces smurfing with steam will also help with and also lets a new player get used to the game first.

I am also sure that SD has a plan in place for this ranking system already but I hope maybe someones ideas might tweak their thoughts before it goes live whenever that is… This is also a idea thread so maybe SD doesn’t have to go Bronze - Diamond but they go “Private vs General” or “Hot vs Cold” or “Up vs Down” or “White Belt vs Black Belt” or “Villager vs Warrior” or “Bullet vs Nuke” or “Pledge vs Brother” or “Slave vs King” or something with a rank… Metals and Rare earth materials was a great idea by LOL…

In a shooter I would assume you would go with ranks because it is spelled into tiers already…
However there are only 29 Ranks in the ARMY
http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/army_ranks.asp
Even less in the British Army…

We can also ask our selves in a game like DB that takes place after something has gone down within a country how would they rank their people… Most movies I watch you have the same ranks but not as many… A leader, co-leaders and soldiers…

The next question is do you have a team or “clan” ranking AND an individual ranking? It was stated by SD that Leagues and Tourneys will or can be held by third party sites so I am assuming that if you join with a team it will just effect your individual rank…

Even Clash of Clans has a ranking system and seasons and thats a freaking mobile app…

Cant wait to see what SD has planned for this!

EDIT:

FINAL

Must Be Level 20 To Enter Ranked with 10 Mercs Unlocked

Tier 1: Peasant
-Level 1 (0 - 1000 Ranked Points)
-Level 2
-Level 3
-Level 4
-Level 5
-Level 6

Tier 2: Apprentice
-Level 1
-Level 2
-Level 3
-Level 4
-Level 5

Tier 3: Solider
-Level 1
-Level 2
-Level 3
-Level 4

Tier 4: Knight
-Level 1 (Make Point Spam Larger) (10,000 to 15,000 Ranked Points)
-Level 2 (15,001 to 25,000)
-Level 3 (25,001 to 40,000)

Tier 5: Royal - Majesty - Ruler - King/Queen
-Level 1 (40,001 to 80,000)
-Level 2 (80,001 to 240,000)

Tier 6: ELITE (ONE LEVEL)
(240,001+)

(Bangtastic) #2

I think this is sth that we probably wont see so soon. IMHO such a complex lvl system like LoL offers is just about the prestige, because tbh silver - plat opponents can be always pretty good, or suck. I want to say that the ranks didnt tell a lot unless you are master or challenger. Other than that it isnt a good system to calculate skill. I would go as far that the average skill can there can be divided in bronze - silver to plat- diamond - master - challenger.

A system like cs go is sufficient enough. Some low skill ranks, some mediocre ranks, high ranks + Global rank; As I would love to see like a elo thing, doubt it is necessary, maybe in one or two years when the game is bigger.

(prophett) #3

[QUOTE=Tast1c;517750]
A system like cs go is sufficient enough. Some low skill ranks, some mediocre ranks, high ranks + Global rank; As I would love to see like a elo thing, doubt it is necessary, maybe in one or two years when the game is bigger.[/QUOTE]

Really hope they go fo a system similar to CSGOs…

(tokamak) #4

The leagues are only a representation of the actual rating of a player. They don’t really have any bearing on matchmaking. It’s there to take off the pressure of players and make the numbers a bit more easy to understand.

An ELO rating is wonderful for 1v1 games, like Chess, or Starcraft or for fixed teams, like WoW arena or Dota games. Just not for random matches.

I do think that DB needs to feature fixed teams like Blizzard does with WoW. There is NO such thing as an individual arena rating in WoW. It doesn’t exist!

This is especially important for competitive and esports as it gives rise to star teams.

This is the kind of interviews you want to be hearing when DB pros are talking:

//youtu.be/gPeAwbihSHs

The game really, really needs to be team-focussed. Pro-loners should not be a thing. They can exist but they have no real importance in the game. It’s all about teams, just like any other team-sport.

This means that casual players as well are going to have to start their own teams in order to get anywhere. Playing alone should be a last resort and that’s why a player’s individual rating shouldn’t even be a thing except for matchmaking. Keep it hidden and only focus on teams.

And don’t call it a clan either the correct word is ‘team’. Clan-support should be there but only for social stuff/tags and names. A clan can consist of multiple teams but a team shouldn’t contain more players than twice the max size it competes in.

(DB Genome editor) #5

Why not have both, with perhaps a bias towards team ratings (with more impressive ranking titles and badges, or whatever…) if that’s what you want to push? There will always be casual players that won’t care for joining a team, but some of these may still get enjoyment and motivation from pushing their own personal rating. If it exists to support matchmaking, why hide it and rob the game from a potential incentive to play?

(prophett) #6

Disagree with this as well. Make ranks visible and allow pro solo players. The only limitation on their rank is their individual skill. They shouldn’t be punished in any way because they want to be a lone wolf.

Just use CSGO’s system. I ranked pretty high by soloing but have hit a plateau. If I want to rank any further i’ll have to get in a sensible party.

(tokamak) #7

Then we just have a different expectation of what DB or games in general can amount to.

Individual casuals serve as liquidity to keep the matches sup and running. But even there it’s preferable if these people banded together in short, temporary teams that extended beyond matches.

Having both positioned as ‘valid’ ways to rank up a ladder means these two are going to bite each other. It’s a compromise. A player can’t play in a team and play solo at the same time. Solo is inferior in every single respect so once the game starts treating it like such you get people playing in teams again.

The only thing solo has over team is that it has a lower bar. It’s hop in and play. That’s fine but that doesn’t make it the proper way to play. Especially not in a game that relies on two (or preferably four) stopwatch rounds to settle a score. You need persistent teams for that.

In WoW, making an arena team is a hurdle. But most players consider it worth the hurdle because it’s that path that gets them moving towards leagues and the Blizzcon tournament eventually. You can join in a random arena team but there’s no real stakes there. As it should be.

(Bangtastic) #8

I agree having a only a real team ladder; But solo ranked are essential because most of players which try DB in the first time are going to play alone probably.
The amount of solo players searching a game should be a lot more, and therefore it will always easier a) to find enough players b) to have some average skill rating

The problem of team MM: when you hop in and try to find a match per matchmaking, will you find one? Especially in the beginning there wont be a lot of teams playing, and later there must be rly enough teams to find games fast enough. But when the game is low populated, you maybe end up playing against teams that are a lot more stronger or less.

I know teamladder is a different story, but there ppl need to be a lot more active on a consistent basis. They must play games in a certain amount of time unlike in MM.

Still MM like csgo is the easiest, you dont need a complicated elo system, either you play alone or with a 5 man party, then the system can check whether other 5 man parties are around or just go against 5 randoms, it rly doesnt matter at this point.
After all in csgo the rank doesnt matter either, it is just an indicator to balance MM. In my sense matchmaking should be only a tool for playing games without leaving anybody and playing a game from beginning to end. Thats all.
People who want to play it comp they will automatically look for a team and participate in pcw’s, and so on.

I mean im all for sth like a team ladder or leagues, but in the beginning it only needs a decent solo/party MM. Most important thing is that new players wont be matched with high/end content players.

(tokamak) #9

[QUOTE=Tast1c;517786]I agree having a only a real team ladder; But solo ranked are essential because most of players which try DB in the first time are going to play alone probably.
The amount of solo players searching a game should be a lot more, and therefore it will always easier a) to find enough players b) to have some average skill rating
[/QUOTE]

Ultimately they’ll be the ones giving liquidity to the matchmaking. Without them it’s going to be lots of waiting lines and down-time.

Yep. If you are a strong player, and constantly play solo with 4 randoms. you will not reach far, and one will feel they placed lower rank than they actually are.

Solution is maybe to have both solo-ladder (with 4 randoms), and a classic ladder with 5man clansfriends from premade lobby.

(ToonBE) #11

What is wrong with mIRC #dbwars to find a match?

Its too complicated for the last 1-3 generations of gamers.

(spookify) #13

Everything needs to be in game simple boom bam! Then possibly a third party for clan leagues and matchs

(chippy) #14

Depending on how the status is with the dedicated servers and such and how that is going to work, there will always be people looking for “serious” games on ye olde IRC (or something along those lines). The reason you need in game match making and some sort of ranking system to go along with it is simply to help people get going and have something to aim for. Almost like replay value for SP games I guess?

In the long term this, hopefully, ensures longevity and a solid experience to play, watch and follow the course of the game.

(prophett) #15

Sad but true :confused:

(Protekt1) #16

Gaming is a sport, just not very physically exhausting… like chess. Chess is a sport.

(Nail) #17

no, chess is a game, like checkers, not a sport

“Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit” are also games not sports

edit: oh crap, I see there’s now “mind sports”

Olympic Crossword Puzzles must be coming soon

ridiculous
:mad:

(onYn) #18

Whatether kind of “ranks” we will have - I hope that there will be also a ranking for each of those ranks to see who is about to raise, drop and also who are the highest ranked players overall.

Very few developers have successfully made in-game ladders, for various reasons.

No long plans for the game, bugs, bad settings, etc etc.

In my own experience, ESL is doing a good job at ladders, for an online version that is not IRC. Buts its not ingame of course.

Clan gaming and especially communities are constantly wrecked by Infinity Ward and DICE. They really dont want a game that is successfull and can last 3-5+ years due to strong community. BF3 was pretty buggy for so long, but it still was pretty successfull. BF4 however, with its tickrate 10! snaps 10. and long list of horrorbugs, is killing it self.
Too greedy = People will catch on eventually = DICE/EA shoot their own feet, same with Infinity Ward/Activision.
Treyarch are somehow badasses, and dont bendover for Activisions greedy & selfharmful plans.

On topic here >>>> But since SD plan to have a different model for DB, than BF and COD games, and more be similar to DOTA2, LoL, HoN, TF2, when it comes releases, (as far as I understand it), its good news for us players, and an ingame ladder could actually survive.

@ What is a sport or not
Sport is not = Physical training
Sport is = Athletics

E-sports is using many skills, and is a sport, even if its not mass of muscle that is used.
Reaction skill
Precognition skill
Endurance skill
Concentraction skill

Many old parents said “go out and play, tv/computer/etc, its bad for you” is not valid.
Your reason for sport not being a sport, seems to belong in the same category.
It doesnt matter what I or you think though.

But if you please, dont trash talk esport. Maybe wrong forum to do that. @Nail

If I were to guess, I’d maybe say sore loser, is causing this. Never getting 50-3 KD on random public?
Lots of players “must be cheating”?

“Not a sport” is somewhat insulting to people who are skilled.
But then again, it doesnt matter what I or you think. People will compete in esport, and people will have sportmanship and have fun, etc etc.

TL;DR about sportstopic: Dont hate on esports on gameforums? Maybe. Anything can be a sport that you can compete in.

Olympic games, is just one form of games. Good luck in your future esport-trashtalkingadventures.

(Nail) #20

I think I’ll take up Olympic cribbage