Are TWD dead?

(.FROST.) #1

I’ve never read the comics, but I played the game, listened to the novels and watched the TV-show. My opinion so far is, that the game(can’t say anything about the comics) is my favorite branch of Kirkman’s undead universe. The books are pretty bad imo. The characters in them are fan-fiction level cardboard cut outs at best and the story is quite predictable and boring.
And the TV-show has not a single character left for which I would give a crap about; especially since all the girls and young female adults are either dead, zombified, or abducted. With other words; what would Aliens be without Newt? What would “TWD the game” be without Clem? Exactly…

And not only that, aside from the lack of likeable characters, there’s a surplus of characters I outright dislike. The fact, that they are also shamelessly copying Lost’s dramaturgy doesn’t help the show either. Oh and what I really hate are artificially appearing realationships, like Glenn’s and Maggie’s; sorry, but I’m not buying into that, even though both are obviously doing their best to make it look as natural as possible; much like Sayid and Shannon in Lost did. I generally hate those politically correct rag tag groups of survivors, even Derryl’s Brother got super soft in the end; that’s very weak from the producers and the writers. There’s so much bad and boring stuff now in the show. And cannibals? Seriously? Yeah sure, there were also cannibals in the game, but this whole Terminus thing? I never could be convinced, that people would eat people just because they are a bit hungry, not when there’s still so much stuff lying around in malls, basements and the environment. Nbdy can tell me, that those handful survivors couldn’t find enough to eat in a country like the US; no effing way.

Either the writers have just gotten lazy, or the whole concept of an ongoing zombie TV show is bound to fail by nature. They should’ve made just three, but extremely tense and well written seasons, with a solid conclusion, or a “solid open end”(not a cliffhanger!!!). Movies and TV shows nowadays suffer tremendously from weak endings, or from them being dragged out for way too long. Longer isn’t always better.

(iwound) #2

im enjoying the show, it was really weak in series 1, too much emphasis on “we need to talk” scenes.
but over time they removed much of that.

it’s really getting brutal now and if you compare it to Z Nation which is a running zombie joke (comedy) or any other attempts then it compares well.
it’s the closest i’ve ever seen to the original “Dawn of the Dead” or even “night of the living dead”.

i really don’t see any lost in it, but “resurrection” is definitely Lost-esque seeing how it has the same writer.

i think as long as Andrew Lincoln is still alive i’ll keep watching. :smiley:

(Mustang) #3

I’m still loving the show, somewhat enjoyed watching (not playing) the games, haven’t read any comics/books.

Maybe you’re just getting bored of it.

#sixseasonsandamovie

(.FROST.) #4

[QUOTE=iwound;513116]im enjoying the show, it was really weak in series 1, too much emphasis on “we need to talk” scenes.

it’s really getting brutal now and if you compare it to Z Nation which is a running zombie joke (comedy) or any other attempts then it compares well.
it’s the closest i’ve ever seen to the original “Dawn of the Dead” or even “night of the living dead”.

i really don’t see any lost in it, but “resurrection” is definitely Lost-esque seeing how it has the same writer.

i think as long as Andrew Lincoln is still alive i’ll keep watching. :D[/QUOTE]

The similarities between TWD and Lost are subtle(more, or less), but there are definitely a couple. And as I’ve said, both shows have a similar dramaturgy, their actual stories however, are ofc totally different.

A few examples, that immediately sprung into my mind, when I watched TWD. It’s been a while since I watched Lost, otherwise I would’ve certainly found some more.

-our main group is very multi ethnical and also extremely varied in every other respect(age, physique, gender, etc.)
-the whole “weapons get taken away and hiden” thing in one of the early seasons(in both shows)
-Glenn’s and Maggie’s relationship(like Sayid and Shannon)
-The whole Woodbury and Governor storyline reminds me heavily of Benjamin Linus, the Others and this DHARMA town in Lost -they also kidnapped people and held them hostage-
-Beth gets abducted, like Walt in Lost

Characters that are a bit similar

-Shane and Sawyer
-Rick and Jack
-Dale and Locke
-Tyreese and Mr.Eko
-Phillip(the Governor) and Ben

(.FROST.) #5

[QUOTE=iwound;513116]im enjoying the show, it was really weak in series 1, too much emphasis on “we need to talk” scenes.

i think as long as Andrew Lincoln is still alive i’ll keep watching. :D[/QUOTE]

The similarities between TWD and Lost are subtle(more, or less), but there are definitely a couple. And as I’ve said, both shows have a similar dramaturgy, the actual story however, is ofc totally different.

A few examples, that imediately sprung into my mind, when I watched TWD. It’s been a while since I watched Lost, otherwise I would’ve certainly found some more.

-our main group is very multi ethnical and also extremely varied in every other respect(age, physique, gender, etc.)
-the whole “weapons get taken away and hiden” thing in one of the early seasons
-Glenn’s and Maggie’s relationship(like Sayid and Shannon)
-The whole Woodbury and Governor storyline reminds me heavily of Benjamin Linus, the Others and this DHARMA town in Lost -they also kidnapped people and held them hostage-
-Beth gets abducted, like Walt in Lost

Characters that are a bit similar

-Shane and Sawyer
-Rick and Jack
-Dale and Locke
-Tyreese and Mr.Eko
-Phillip(the Governor) and Ben

(.FROST.) #6

[QUOTE=Mustang;513121]I’m still loving the show, somewhat enjoyed watching (not playing) the games, haven’t read any comics/books.

Maybe you’re just getting bored of it.

#sixseasonsandamovie[/QUOTE]

Well, I’m obviously getting bored of it, because they are running in circles. There’s no real progress imo. They are sliding from one heap of crap into the other. Except for the fact, that everybody has become a fearless Zombinator over the course of the first seasons I can’t see that much has changed in the series. I hope this whole Washington-antidote thing is leading to something, if not to the big finale, then at least to something significant and satisfying; and not just another Terminus situation.

(tokamak) #7

Constant progression in the narrative leads to comfort though. Having them walk from one crisis into another is much more in line with being in an apocalypse.

(.FROST.) #8

Ofc, I get the idea, but the thing is, the things that are happening in TWD feel so artificial to me since the last couple seasons. I mean, no one can honestly belief, that people would turn into cannibals, like the guys from Terminus, not when they still have the whole country to scavange, or the possibilty to grow themselves vegetables, or keep animals. It takes a lot to make regular people eat human flesh, some would even rather die, before doing so, and those guys seem to actually enjoy that on a daily basis?!? Common script writers, don’t you know how to write a thrilling story without such super cheap ideas? It’s effing Zombieland and that’s all they can come up with? Letting producers and script writers get away with such crap is like letting devs and publishers get away with full price beta releases. There’s so much cool stuff they could do with this setting, don’t let them ruin it with mediocre fan-fiction.

PS: That little girl that started to like zombies was also a “REALLY?!?!” moment for me. And that she would even kill the other girl for that reason? Nah, that’s something I just can’t swallow.

(tokamak) #9

I thought that was convincing enough. They had the flash-back, their occult rites and the actors really lived up to their character’s logic. I just think that eating tainted meat wasn’t well, pardon the pun, fleshed out enough.

As for the settings, they’ve been sufficiently diverse. We’ve had the lone scientist, the pacifist farmer, the group has had a chance to built their own community and face off against another one, we’ve had many splinter groups and then there’s the ultimate stand off between two ultimate survival groups.

So yeah all of that is way different than most zombie flicks. They can start throwing in new scenarios, I would love that, but eventually they’re going to start looking like the ones mentioned above.

Washington is probably going to be a huge conflict within the military, haven’t read the books, but that’s the only plot setting that misses.

And it makes sense because that’s when stories only start to make sense on a bigger scale. Like in World War Z.