Help with custom pk.3

(jemstar) #1

Hi I have made a custom .pk3 for my ETLegacy server.

http://www.donkeypunch.clanservers.com/etmain/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_ANZACS_skin_3.pk3

It works fine…as long as you join server using ETL client. If you try to join from et.exe 8/10 times you will get:

“Required file was omitted at compile time.”

If you do get on the server it plays well until intermission and game crashes at start of next map…some times.

If I put the file on my nq server I get the same issue, however I currently have it running on nq server without the player models and works fine.

Why would the player models cause issues with traditional et.exe?

Thanks for any help,

Jem.

The only change to player model is the flag is replaced with Australian and NZ flags on each class.

(stealth6) #2

I’m not 100% sure, but did you save the image as a 32-bit tga since I think it needs the alpha layer.

(jemstar) #3

That could be it as I thinks I saved as 24 bit maybe to reduce the size of the file. I will try redoing at 32 bit.

Thanks for the reply!

(jemstar) #4

Re did pack with player models as 32 bit tga but still get the same crash on et.exe grrr lol

(BackSnip3) #5

Did you check RLE compress when you saved it? I think you need not to compress the TGA in order to work but I’m not sure.

(Mateos) #6

True, uncheck this option. Source Engine also doesn’t like compressed TGAs :confused:

(jemstar) #7

Thanks again for replies!

I saved again using uncompressed images but still crashes. Earlier I could join(before I uncompressed) But since changing files to .tga When I joined thru et.exe the bodies were missing from the player models ie see through!! The console had message saying couldnt find the images .jpg’s for all classes.

So I put both the .tga and .jpg images in and could still connect at times and had bodies. Was hoping et would use the image it wanted lol i noes probably not the way to do it but seemed to work for a bit.

I just re ‘saved as’ the existing images…should I try them again from scratch?

Any chance someone could try connecting and see if they get same issue? ip: 203.26.189.237:27960

Thanks,
jem.

(BackSnip3) #8

Never put two files with same name and different extensions, because the engine will read the TGA first anyway, there are some hard-coded priorities.
If you want to avoid problems with skins, I recommend not to override existing game files but rather put new images with different filenames, and then update the .shader files instead. This might use some more memory but ensures no ambiguity. To push this concept even more, keep different names between shader name and image names.

Try this and tell me if that’s better, if not, you might have a corrupted installation!

(jemstar) #9

Thanks,

Will give that a go!!

(twt_thunder) #10

what did you make that pk3 with?

(jemstar) #11

@Thunder_13th used pakscape…but I have been told that I should compile the files and folders outside pakscape then move them into the pak at the end incase pakscape compresses them. So will try that.

I have done this before with no issues like this so is a little weird. As I said above it works fine on legacy with legacy client, just et.exe clients that get the issue.

@BackSnip3 I tried renaming images and edited the path in the .skin file but wouldn’t load.

will try again this week.

(jemstar) #12

Ok it appears to have been fixed…Wo0o0otsa!!!

I replaced all the images with newly created and uncompressed images and it is now working well on both legacy and et.exe!!

Thanks for everyone’s input/suggestions. My previous versions were done on older image editors and I guess they didnt compress the images like my newer editor. Tho they didnt create as high quality images either!!

Thanks again,
Jem.