Survey: Banning Pick Tournament

(tinker) #1

Hey guys

I actually loved the tournament, kept me playing a lot more than… well… no action at all

And I actually like the idea of Red Panda - but think it is quite complicated

My idea … and I want to hear what you think (YES - IT IS NOT PLANNED YET)
simple banning pick on a best of 3

organizer randomly chooses maps for each game (not twice the same)
first game : Map A
second game : Map B
(third game : Map C)

player 1
Bans* :
3 toons
2 Weapons
1 Commander Ability

player 2
bans*
3 toons
2 weapons
1 commander Ability

NO DOUBLE BAN
a total of 6 toons 4 weapons and 2 abilities are banned

player 1 starts the first (and third on a 1-1)**
player 2 starts the second game

*ban --> It may not be used during all 3 games
*ban --> The commander may always use Cold Audomatic
*ban --> any “failpick” (picking a banned thing)will either be handled by the players (new game or simply play it) or be marked as a Loss for the failpicking person

** player 1 Starts the first and the third game (so 2 of 3) because player 2 has more overview and may do more planing after seeing the first bans (and doing his 2nd ban). and most players (exclude me) consider the first-turn-guy to have a great advantage

what’s the point
having completely different teams/ setups than in normal games
For Example
you can ban all 3 Medics (gus, merci, kate) electri-fryer and Botherer/Otto and the Health-crate
and you will not see any heal and probably no sniper ( with a sniper rifle that is)
or you simply ban knarly Knife and Cold Audomatic and it will be a “SAVE” 4 or 5 toon game (not 6)
AND your opponent bans different toons, weapons, abilities

The final rounds will probably be a best of 5 or 7
with seperat ban for each game / each 2 games / half of games or the final game (e.g. a 2 - 2 match and a last ban for the 5th game)

prizes will be sponsored by me and/or other people
please note that these prizes probably won’t be in-game

That is My idea - what do you think
who would be interested in playing?
any other voluntary organizers (Paul ? :smiley: )
other prize-sponsors

hope to hear from you

with friendly regards
tinker

(g00n) #2

the thing about tournaments is to keep it simple. When you have so many players to manage and hopefully everyone actually understands or follow and read rules. Also many are not forum readers. Not all players have a lot of toons or weapons so also making it harder to choose or limit them.

I still believe a special challenge should be issued out (gold coloured than green) to cut out map choosing (Random without any details of what map it is) and maybe manage what you cant use if you used it previous game.
Your idea and red pandas (and mine which I played with Jerry-rigs) are best suited to those we know or on forum or friends.

(tinker) #3

I saw all the problems from the last tournament
the main problem : the not-forum-actives
the guys that ARE forum active ARE quite active in the game … & people that like the game --> active in the game --> no personal problem to read the forum
these guys HAVE at least 4 different toons and at LEAST 2 of each kind of those 4
and usually more than 3 weapons suitable for each toon

so even if the enemy bans 3 of 4 of your toons, you can ban other 3…

making rules shall be an active pre-filtering process, only allowing people who have some stuff… usually this will also mean: more experience (more money <— more playing time --> more experience)

and having these 2 “passive” restrictions (forum-active or forum-reading + experience & toons) allows us to actually handle less guys resulting in a tournament that gets done faster, and having harder opponents right from the beginning.
I was not the only one who had a quite easy opponent somewhere near the finals who had passed all stages due to inactivity or totally new players… this is cool for that moment, but IF we start to capture more & upload it, people like to see a real MATCH