Command map areas in fireteam

(FrostyChilli) #1

Hello!

I have a question. When you are in fireteam then there is player’s location next to player’s name. In original maps these locations are displayed as certain locations in the map(Tunnel doors, The bridge, The first barrier,The City) but in most custom maps they are just Command map coordinates(C1, G6, B7…).

How do I map each command map coordinate with a certain location’s name, which is then correctly displayed in fireteams?

Thank you!

(Mateos) #2

See:
http://wolfwiki.anime.net/index.php/Target_location

I know NQ includes by default a great amount of .loc files (I believe some other recent mods do too), I personally prefer it over the target_location method: you can see while playing the name in the fireteam and thus adjust if you have locations too close from something.

Requires ETPro as mod in order to have working commands.

(Teuthis) #3

If it only Works in ETpro i question a bit the Sense of These Target locations. I Love them but only Few People Play ETpro, no?

(Mateos) #4

I meant you can only use the loc commands in ETPro, the system is used in most mods.

Most servers are ETPro (when you count passworded ones :P), and they’re full each evening (the ones non-pw-protected)…

(FAQIS) #5

ETpro is the most popular mod for many Clans .

Often played with reduced graphics and competition settings and configuration.
Competition maps are special maps with offensive gameplay, its å little bit like an orgasm as it takes so few seconds to finish and its so very fun?
However is ETpro one of the mods that helped ET to survive.
Public servers can have whatever map/mod they want, as the et players dont care about quality… .

However, nice to start a topic, I didaktik nearly forget to fix position text things. …

(FrostyChilli) #6

Thank you for your answers. As I understand it is only possible with a mod or server configuration? But not possible to implement it through my map’s .pk3?

Cheers,
Frosty!

(Mateos) #7

.loc file can be made only with ETPro atm (ET:L has a ticket for it), but most mods can read its data and load it.

As indicated in the article I gave, you can use entities in your map too (target_location).

(FrostyChilli) #8

Okay.

I tried placing target location into my map and I placed only one but even that didn’t seem to replace the text. Though I was not using ETPro. But what I don’t understand is how am I supposed to place them for it to work across the map? The only thing It says is: “You only need to place target_locations so that you can always see one; placing too many may be a waste of resources.”. What does it mean? How does it change from one name to another? How is map separated with those? By map coordinates(B4, C1…)? Or if I have many separate junctions and rooms I have to have many target_locations as well? So that there is ALWAYS 1 of them activated. If latter is true then according to the page you sent there is a conflict: “placing too many may be a waste of resources”. How many is too many? And I always need to see one. Does it mean that target_location must be in player’s field of view or just so that target_location can see the player?

Cheers,
Frosty!

(Mateos) #9

VIS. Learn about PVS and how the map is split :slight_smile:

Also be sure in the mod you test your map with that its settings for the fireteam location is set on location name and not coordinates only.

(FrostyChilli) #10

So if I were to split my map with Hint brushes, there needs to be 1 “target_location” in each of these?

(Mateos) #11

No, but if you’re in a leaf node from which all the other reachable leaf nodes don’t have one, I expect you’ll only have coordinates in the Fireteam panel.