Override farplaneclip?

(Acizco) #1

As the title says: Is it possible to override worldspawn key farplaneclip by any means? I’m interested in this for moviemaking purposes: I’d like to be able to remove fog on some maps to be able to use custom skies (radar & railgun mostly) and not have the farplaneclip kick in, as it makes things really ugly :frowning:

(ailmanki) #2

You can modify the cvar r_zfar to some very big value like 9000. And that’s it. Farplane clip is used in the compile process, as such just changing it in worldspawn has afaik no influence.
Also either disable r_wolffog or maybe keep it on… whatever pleases the eye more.

(Acizco) #3

[QUOTE=ailmanki;509871]You can modify the cvar r_zfar to some very big value like 9000. And that’s it. Farplane clip is used in the compile process, as such just changing it in worldspawn has afaik no influence.
Also either disable r_wolffog or maybe keep it on… whatever pleases the eye more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know about r_zfar, but it only allows drawing to a point where farplaneclip ends, after that nothing is rendered. That’s why I wanted to know if there is any way to make the game draw beyond it. If I disable fog completely, it clips everything really ugly. But if I keep it on, it covers the sky texture :S

(system) #4

Hi Acizco,

If you want to change the sky in railgun you need to open up the map editor and do some editing because of the way the sky box is setup!

For radar you can edit the texture, Here’s an example of the edited radar sky texture. You could download it and open the pk3 and edit the picture with paint.net to change it you you’re liking
http://wolfet.boards.net/thread/41/radar-daylight-sky

(Mateos) #5

If you don’t plan to compile while editing the skybox texture, day sky with night lighting all over the map… Meh

(stealth6) #6

As Mateos says afaik you’ll need to recompile the map to get rid of the fog & current lighting effects. Good news is that the map sources are available to do so.

(Mateos) #7

Some docu:
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/12125-r_wolffog-and-r_zfar

Edit: You’ll also have to edit the shader referenced by the fog key in the worlsdpawn entity, it kind of overrides the 2 other keys (farplaneclip and _fogdist iirc).