Commandmap icons

(Teuthis) #1

Dump question, how can you make your Own commandmap Icons? Anyone has a Tutorial?

Thanks

(twt_thunder) #2

Best way to figure out this Teuthis:

step one: open pak.0 in winrar or similair.
step 2 open gfx folder and 2d folder inside. open ex. cm_guncontrols.tga
and you have the normal size and type.
step 3. select the whole picture and delete
step 4 create you Icon
save it on your desktop (not in pak0!!!)
in your map pk3 make same folder gfx and 2d inside, put your icon in there and you should be good to go.
Just remember to name it something similar cm_teuthis.tga or something :smiley:

Ok tutorial?

(Mateos) #3

IndyJones wrote one I think but it is offline/dead; Was involving having a square map textured with a perfectly white picture, putting the objective in the middle, taking a clean screenshot, and then editing it to have the obj and all the white as alpha exported into TGA.

Use the shaders of the core maps icons too, or they’ll appear out of the compass (see Adlernest).

Link for reference, Wayback Machien doesn’t have it :confused:
http://gry.strony.nplay.pl/et/cmicon/tutorial.htm

Edit:
I have the package which was given with the tutorial… and it includes the tut itself x) Here:

(Tardis) #4

What version of Photoshop is being used ? and do you have a download link ?

(Mateos) #5

Well, IndyJones package contains a white texture with a shader IIRC that you can apply to a box map, just copy/paste your objective there, look at it with some cool angle, have a script bound to a key that hide HUD, take a screen and show HUD again, then just open the screenshot in PS or GIMP, turn the white into alpha, crop so it’s a square, export as TGA, done :slight_smile:

You have a download link in my post above, edit part

(Tardis) #6

Thanks Mateos

Personally I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 for ET
and have little experience with Photoshop . :o

I do own Adobe Photoshop CS3 that I use it for my web design coursework but
there is a big difference when your trying to follow a tutorial with a unknown Photoshop version.

It would help on what version of Photoshop IndyJones package is using then people could follow his tutorial to the letter then people know for future reference.

Personal note:

I think its coming back to me now you have cleared it up as its been awhile since
I have had to a make command map icon from scratch. :wink:

(Teuthis) #7

The bottom line is to know how to work with alpha channels, then you can use every program you like. Gimp for example is for free and does the job perfectly. I use photoshop however just for convenience reasons

(Tardis) #8

That may Be the point of “know how to work with alpha channels” indeed, but people who don’t know and following IndyJones package may need to know what version of Photoshop he is using in the tutorial that would help loads . So my question is Do you you know what version of Photoshop ?

This is not for me as I have used Gimp to do my alpha - this is for future reference for any new mappers.

[QUOTE=Mateos;547901]Well, IndyJones package contains a white texture with a shader IIRC that you can apply to a box map, just copy/paste your objective there, look at it with some cool angle, have a script bound to a key that hide HUD, take a screen and show HUD again, then just open the screenshot in PS or GIMP, turn the white into alpha, crop so it’s a square, export as TGA, done :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

More explained -
In GIMP, Using Above Method - Image - Scale image 256 x 256 - Layer - Transparency - Color to Alpha -
Export to TGA

Done :wink:

(stealth6) #9

The tutorials are done in Photoshop CS, but I think the instructions should be the same in CS3.

(Tardis) #10

That is the main problem I had .
The CS3 I own and the Photoshop used in IndyJones package is a completely different lay out / design so you get lost on trying follow the tutorial.

(-SSF-Sage) #11

With photoshop CS3 do this:

Create an image size of 64x64, 64x128, 128x128. etc. (I find 128x128 best quality vs cost)

Make your actual icon (I usually take a screenshot in GTK), add black background.

Then go to tab called channels. It is the next choice after layers. Click the second image from right on the bottom of channel screen. If you hover your mouse over it for a 3 seconds it will say create new channel. Once you click it you have automatically alpha channel.

Next choose the area of main image that should be visible and paste it to that alpha channel. Color it full white, non visible parts full black.

Save the image as TGA file, select 32 bits/pixels!!!

Then save it into GFX/yourmap/cm_myicon YOU MUST HAVE cm_ or it won’t work.

You will not even need to add a shader for it, it works without too.

Then open your trigger_objecive_info. Then add that path to it under customaxisimage/customalliesimage. Depending on the setup you need, you might need to tick some of the boxes. In most cases you will need the TOI to target a misc_commandmap_marker. And if you want to hide the command map marker at some gamepoint, you must remember to also hide the misc_commandmap_marker too, not just TOI!!!

(Tardis) #12

Nice One Sage :D-

That will help loads of people who get stuck on this.

Well done and Thank you !!

Recommend Sticky:cool: