How to easily clip models

(FrostyChilli) #1

Hello!

I have a question. Let’s say for example I import a rock or a bike model into my map. How can I clip it exactly the way it looks? If I look at original ET maps in Radiant then it seems they have clipped every model exactly as the model looks. It is hard to believe that it is done by hand.

So is there a quick way to clip imported models?

EDIT: I found one way how to get for example rocks from radar map.
I just put a random model into my map, go into entity properties and change model to “models/mapobjects/rocks_sd/rock_big5.md3”
and add _remap key and set its value to “models/mapobjects/rocks_sd/rock_desert_big;models/mapobjects/rocks_sd/rock_temperate2_big”. This changes the texture and clips the rock. However does it mean that there is just another model with the same shape as the rock and it just has a clip texture. Am I correct?

Thank you!
Cheers, Frosty

(Mateos) #2

It is not recommended to automatically clip the models as it can cause troubles (bad collisions due to too complex model). But rocks can be auto-clipped, when you open the Entity properties there’s a box to tick for this.

(Teuthis) #3

If the Radar Rocks Are Models, shouldn’t they be included in the Pak.0 anyway?

I myself Clip my Models per Hand. But it is usually Not Necessary to have the Clips Match absolutely correct. Sense of the Clips is to block the player and make the Models static (and give them a funny Sound when Hit), right. So no Need to have them absolutely identical.

BTW, Why Not Going in the Radar Map, Mark the Rocks and then Safe selected as prefab?

(Mateos) #4

The misc_model entity is compiled within the BSP, you just need to include it’s skin, not the model itself. GtkRadiant got bundles for all the Q3 Engine games with models not being included with the related games… Also ASE files aren’t in (aka Oasis water tunnels).