What is Dirty Bomb?

(Silvanoshi) #1

A new blog post has been added:

What is Dirty Bomb?

When a dozen radiological dirty bombs go off, forcing the sudden evacuation of the entire city center, there’s a lot left back in the contaminated zone. Some of it needs to be safely extracted. Some of it needs to disappear pronto. Overnight there’s urgent demand for people who don’t mind getting their hands dirty. And with demand comes supply. Private Military Companies (PMCs) and their hired mercenaries the world over flock to London to do whatever people will pay for. The “making things go boom” business in London is booming.
Continue reading…

(mimzymoo) #2

I intend to play this and very much enjoyed the beta. Any chance you could do cross platform play with console including keyboard and mouse support to keep it fair.
Presumably a platform holder like Sony wouldnt stop you using kb n mouse.

(Silvanoshi) #3

[QUOTE=mimzymoo;508308]I intend to play this and very much enjoyed the beta. Any chance you could do cross platform play with console including keyboard and mouse support to keep it fair.
Presumably a platform holder like Sony wouldnt stop you using kb n mouse.[/QUOTE]
Very glad to hear that :)!

As for the console question. That’s always a tricky one. We’re designing the game from the ground for competitive gamers on the PC. Releasing a game on console, with the hopes that players will transition and use keyboard/mouse for the title is a tricky one. The vast majority of gamers wouldn’t, meaning the vast majority of them would have no chance against PC players.

Right now we’re focusing exclusively on PC, but who knows what might happen at some stage down the line.

(DIE_75) #4

Maybe it was mentioned somewhere but I have not had any luck finding it; I was wondering if S.M.A.R.T. will make a return in Dirty Bomb.

I really enjoyed BRINK and thought the world of the new movement system.

(Silvanoshi) #5

[QUOTE=DIE_75;508314]Maybe it was mentioned somewhere but I have not had any luck finding it; I was wondering if S.M.A.R.T. will make a return in Dirty Bomb.

I really enjoyed BRINK and thought the world of the new movement system.[/QUOTE]

Fans of the S.M.A.R.T system in Brink will find something to love in Dirty Bomb. It’s not quite the same thing, but there are some great possibilities :).

(NyxJuan) #6

Hi,
will be possible to buy items with cash in the game?
will be able to create clans?

(Rex) #7

In any game you can create clans.

(DarrenSweeney) #8

Is this on mac? What specs would be looking at to run Dirty bomb on PC/Mac? Huge splash damage fan. Hope to work there some day! :slight_smile: Thanks.

(Silvanoshi) #9

[QUOTE=NyxJuan;508339]Hi,
will be possible to buy items with cash in the game?
will be able to create clans?[/QUOTE]
We’re working to ensure that Dirty Bomb will provide a fair and balanced gaming experience for gamers who spend money on the game, as well as those who don’t. We won’t be looking to sell weapons that cannot be accessed free of charge, no.

As for clans, you’ll be able to create them outside of the game as has been the case for many years :). As far as an in-game clan system though, well, it’d be far too early to speak about something like that now, wouldn’t it ;).

Hello there sir!

We’ll be developing the game for PC first. The game may make its way to Mac at a later date, but that’s not a priority for us at this moment in time. We want to get 1 great version out to the public first. As for the system specs, that’s quite hard to say at this moment in time as the game has yet to be optimised. Keep you eye on our channels for more info about that moving forward :).

(stealth6) #10

In the screenshots each player seems to be wearing a different outfit. If they’re all working for the same company why don’t they wear a uniform? Secondly who’s going to stop the mercs from stealing some intel or are they both trying to steal it?

(Silvanoshi) #11

They’re mercenaries who fight for the highest bidder for each job. They don’t stick around log enough to pick up a uni, they’re hired guns in a world that has taken a significant turn for the worse.

Both teams of Mercs are trying to nab the intel, they want all of the goods for their respective employers.

(stealth6) #12

Expendables had a uniform and they were expendable! :slight_smile:

I’m also sensing a distinct lack of self-preservation. Running through a radioactive wasteland with a tank top on #YOLO

(Silvanoshi) #13

That move is also full of 60 year olds rolling around as though they’re 20. Not everything in that movie needs to be followed to a T :P.

I’m also sensing a distinct lack of self-preservation. Running through a radioactive wasteland with a tank top on #YOLO

We’re talking about people who happily carry explosives on their person at all times! I don’t think they’re overly concerned about living a long life. They’ve got much more immediate health concerns ;).

(Runeforce) #14

Since GNU/Linux is running on the PC, does that mean you intend to support that platform? Or is PC some euphamism for Microsoft Windows?

(Silvanoshi) #15

Apologies, I was referring to the PC Windows platform, which encompasses the vast majority of PC gaming.

(ToAsToS) #16

Is Dirty Bomb going to have a in game story type thing, I love the game how it is, but, sometimes it feels so empty when i’m not 100% sure why I need to destroy whatever it is i need to destroy. Am i just doing it to piss the other team off or is there a bigger purpose.

(Silvanoshi) #17

Dirty Bomb won’t have a single player campaign or anything like that, but you will see an improved picture of the universe being painted over time as more updates come to the game :).

(soulfreaq) #18

more side quests… eks commandpost (wolf:et)… not like in Brink where you are told a bunch of missions… let players explore the maps then think for them self… but let them have several options/ “missions”…

(Silvanoshi) #19

Dirty Bomb does indeed have secondary objectives, and we’re working to ensure that they provide a viable and realistic choice.

(DeployMortar) #20

I found out about this game only recently when I was trying out Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory after a 7 year break. From what I’ve seen so far, it seems like it has great potential and I’m rather excited about it!

I think a great deal of community forming in W:ET, and almost any other game too, was due to people being able to run dedicated servers. I recall e.g. when CoD: WaW was around, it had a great community around it, but it went down the toilet after they removed dedicated servers from later releases in the game series.

Will you provide dedicated server software for DB? I really hope you do, as it really ensures the longevity of any good game.

I also hope you find a suitable business model to support the development of this game in the long run. I think TF2 is a great example of how to do F2P right. Spending money is not necessary and gives no actual advantages in the game, but a lot of people are still willing to spend a few bucks every now and then to get certain customizations.