steady aim while taking damage? How do people do this?

(NovaPrime) #1

I have been burning to ask this noob question, but never had time.

How is it that some people seemingly do not lose their aim even while taking damage? When I am taking damage, my screen shakes a little and my aim goes all over the place, making it hard to kill the person shooting me. However, I notice that some people seem to avoid this problem.

example:

I will come up on a players back (medium or far range), start firing into them, and I know I am hitting because of the hit sounds. But before I can kill them, they will turn around, and while I am still hitting them, they direct a nice fat stream of bullets right into me killing me. Almost as if the damage I was causing them did not affect their aim, because they managed to land every bullet on me while I was shooting them. Its so annoying.

Do people use scripts to do this or something? Are their cvars that can keep aim steady? Lua? is there a strategy to keeping aim while taking damage? or are they simply haxing?

(Micha) #2

You can disable the screen shake with these commands:
seta cg_bobroll “0”
seta cg_bobpitch “0”
seta cg_bobup “0”
seta cg_bobyaw “0”
seta cg_runpitch “0”
seta cg_runroll “0”

There is one script which let’s you turn 180° on pressing a key. It’s disabled on some servers via forcing the cl_yawspeed but should work on etpro servers.
bind CTRL “com_maxfps 60; wait 2; cl_yawspeed 11250; +left; wait 2; -left;cl_yawspeed 0; com_maxfps 125”

Not sure if all of the aboce cmds are needed but anyways it just helps a bit but doesn’t do all for you. The most is just training, meaning playing often to learn how to move and react also to train your aim. You need to remember that ET is an old game with not so stable movements. People called me unhit back on the old times because my internet and pc were slow and I just had max 43 fps. I think it happened to everyone to get the feeling that someone is unhit :wink:

Tutorials which can help you:
http://www.crossfire.nu/tutorials/207/tips-for-the-neweryounger-players
http://www.crossfire.nu/tutorials/210/wet-aiming-tutorial-by-bosshk

Are their cvars that can keep aim steady?

No, maybe hacks -> human aim bot

Lua?
Lua is a server side addon so no

is there a strategy to keeping aim while taking damage?

The cmds above should do the trick

or are they simply haxing?

Sure some may use hacks but you can figure this out by specing them. Be carefull to not ban non cheating players :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #3

You can also disable the muzzle flash for clear view, disable the fog, disable atmospheric effects/coronas/foliage, bind a certain framerate limit while shooting with a Luger to avoid recoil…

You can even configure ET to have sh!t graphics so you can clearly see any player anywhere; You can configure a low resolution to expand it by 2 or 3 times on big screens to have fat people easier to hit.

I think that’s all I know, but I just disable screen effects when I play too bad :stuck_out_tongue:

(Dragonji) #4

If your mod is ETPub then there’s a cheat-like cvar cg_damagekick.

(hellreturn) #5

+1 10 Char

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dragonji again.

(Scarhand) #6

The trick isn’t in cvars. The trick is that when you are taking damage your aim doesn’t move even though your crosshair does. Aim where you would if your screen wasn’t shaking and you will get all headshots.

(NovaPrime) #7

not sure what you mean by that, I use the cross hairs to aim, what else would I use? if I take damage, my cross hairs go crazy.

(Micha) #8

and that’s what he main. Your crosshair shakes but actually not your bullets are changing fromt he default (or better the usually) position of the crosshair.

Most people use a small dot as crosshair because it’s easier without the change of it.

(Scarhand) #9

Exactly, when your screen is shaking from being hit, you DON’T use your crosshair for aiming. That shaking has absolutely no impact on your aim. It goes where it would of if your screen didn’t shake. If you started aiming at their head before your screen started shaking, don’t move it.

Also, even if it was possible to disable screenshake I would still leave it on. You can tell by the direction the screen shakes exactly where you are being shot from, and it is easy to turn around and headshot whoever is shooting you once you understand how the shaking behaves. I like how it helps prevent shoot-first-kill first.

(NovaPrime) #10

micha my “red dot” will also lose its train, not just my cross hairs. Lets say I aim for their head, then they start shooting me, the damage causes the “red dot” and the cross hairs to vibrate away from their head, almost like trying to shoot the MG42 in the standing position (but not as bad). Maybe I am explaining it wrong. But anyway, lol I suck at getting that red dot back on their face once I start getting hit…I guess I just suck :slight_smile:

(stealth6) #11

I’m pretty sure that your red dot is your crosshair. Iirc if you get shot in the head your crosshair jumps up which is what you are describing. According to the other people here when this happens it’s purely client side, your bullets are still going to the spot before you got hit. So correcting it is bad!

Obviously when you’re using MG42 or pistol it’s a different kind of recoil.