First time Player

(God_of_Love) #1

I am currently downloading the game for the first time as we speak and I would like to know what the top mods to get are. Also, anything that I will need to get the game up and running on any and every server would be lovely. Much appreciation mates.

-Cupid

(Nail) #2

I wouldn’t bother. Unless you play on ETPro servers only, you’ll never understand what the game is truly about
but several people will tell you I’m full of poop and direct you to their favorite dumbed down to 8yr olds comfort level mod/server/latest crap

(Dragonji) #3

[QUOTE=Nail;506356]I wouldn’t bother. Unless you play on ETPro servers only, you’ll never understand what the game is truly about
but several people will tell you I’m full of poop and direct you to their favorite dumbed down to 8yr olds comfort level mod/server/latest crap[/QUOTE]
The game is mainly about having fun so what is your problem if ~80% of players enjoy playing on servers “dumbed down to 8yr olds comfort level mod/server/latest crap”?

@OP
Servers: http://et.trackbase.net/serverlist/
Tips: W:ET Aiming Tutorial by BossHK and Tips for the newer/younger players
AMD Radeon low FPS fix: http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/40460-Super-low-fps?p=500331&viewfull=1#post500331
Multicore CPUs FPS fix: http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/34105-Why-is-my-FPS-so-bad-on-a-good-machine?p=489358&viewfull=1#post489358

Oh BTW, my suggestion is to avoid servers that have more than 30 slots because bigger servers are usually lagfests and fragfests only.

(twt_thunder) #4

Yea Nail, you actually played this before and enjoyed it.
Let people still enjoy it if they want to :smiley:

(stealth6) #5

Screw having fun, elitist ETpro mentality FTW! All other mods suck and what caused W:ET to die! /s

(Nail) #6

I played W:ET quite a bit, nearly always on ETPro servers, I believe xp save ruined the core game
I’ve also supported the game as much if not more than any one else here and my post is my opinion

I also notice no one has answered OP’s questions

(Destroy666) #7

@Nail, but you do realise that a “I wouldn’t bother” advice is not really welcome in this topic? Such words and other “ET is death!!1” opinions are ruining the game way more than XP save.

As for mods @OP - it depends. Whatever floats your boat.

If you like more competitive and serious gaming, look for the suggested ETPro. But this isn’t probably the best place to start, unless you find a civilized public server without loads of high egos and trolls. Which are a rarity at the moment, unfortunately.

Otherwise, if you prefer something easier, join any other mod: silent, etpub and nitmod are currently the most popular ones. You need to watch out for bot-filled servers though. TB (TrackBase) serverlist is useful for that.

(Mateos) #8

NQ servers are also in the top of the list :slight_smile:

I understand Nail opinion, as I myself avoid populated pub servers mainly running maps like Minas Tirith or other high-fragfest-rate maps… With people going medic for frag and self healing. Not really attractive :slight_smile:

(Nail) #9

didn’t realize my advice isn’t welcome

anyways, as these other helpful chaps have neglected to mention, you’ll need the game, ver. 2.55, the 2.56 update followed by the 2.60 and 2.60B updates as well as a way around PunkBuster and the appropriate mods and maps. There are a few all-in-one installers I’m sure people can link to but most contain a shed load of things you may not need.

Good Luck

(Mateos) #10

Splash Damage itself provides a all-in-one package :slight_smile: I think the 2.56 patch isn’t needed though, you can patch from 2.55 to 2.60 directly

(Nail) #11

oh yeah, that reminds me, not all servers run the same version, some run 2.55 others run 2.60, some servers accept different clients, some do not. I’d stay away from 2.55 servers, updates exist for a reason

(stealth6) #12

Wtf Nail. You’re acting very weird. Your advice isn’t welcome when it isn’t advice, have you actually read your first post yourself? It was not really relevant & obvious flamebait.

If you want to install the game the old way you get the old 2.55 installer (WolfET), then run the installer to upgrade to 2.60, then copy the binaries from the zip for 2.60b. Punkbuster was the old anti-cheat client for ET, but PB no longer supports PB so it’s not very useful anymore. To turn it off just type pb_cl_disable in console (press the tilde key ~ ingame).

Anyway as Mateos already said you can just use an installer that does it all for you now. http://www.splashdamage.com/content/download-wolfenstein-enemy-territory
(I’m not sure if that version has PB disabled or not)

Then as mentioned in the second post you can use Trackbase to see which servers are running which maps & mods (in the player column if you see (+17) next to the player count it means 17 players are bots - not real players). To install the mod or map simply connect to the server and W:ET will download the necessary files to play. Most servers run a 2.55+ patch or something similar to allow all clients to connect, so I wouldn’t worry about your client version too much.

(Mateos) #13

SplatterLadder allows to filter out bots, seems TrackBase doesn’t :confused:

(diaboliksmart) #14

I thought the war between 2.55 and 2.60 was finished.
I thought the war between splatterladder.com and trackbase.com was finished.

But @God_Of_Love, you will see that the war between AXIS and ALLIES just finish when the map ends xD
You are going to discover the BEST fps ever, don’t worry the mod or the server, just try to kill some enemies !

Have nice frags dear beginner !
( and bring us some friends xD )

(Dragonji) #15

[QUOTE=diaboliksmart;506487]I thought the war between 2.55 and 2.60 was finished.
I thought the war between splatterladder.com and trackbase.com was finished.[/QUOTE]
I have completely no idea where you see some kind of “war”.

(Scarhand) #16

NoQuarter mod is still my favorite

(tjimboo) #17

you scared him away now with ur bs… :slight_smile:

(EK30) #18

so people still play et ???

(Destroy666) #19

Yes, they do.