Mercs: Friend Appreciation Weekend

(Silvanoshi) #1

Listen up Operators!

Having willingly fought for you for many months, murmurings from the Mercs have been bubbling away under the surface for some time now. Flittering from squad to squad, talk of change has been rife. We did our best to “accidentally overhear” what they were chatting about, but damn, even Skyhammer can whisper with the best of them! The few discernible words that did slip out were “…noobs…” “…he doesn’t know what he’s doing…” and “…he ****ing kept bouncing my grenades back at me!!!”.

Soon, some Mercs will require you to earn their respect before deciding to join your squad. Dirty Bomb’s next game update will introduce a brand new way to manage your Mercs. A ton of work has gone into this whopper of an update, and it opens of plenty of interesting possibilities. This does however mean that you will not be able to access all Mercs right out of the gate. Aligning each of them to your side will be a little bit more involved than it has been to date.

While we want to see your reaction to the new approach with fresh eyes (we don’t want to give you too many hints before all the info is ready to go out to you), should there be any Mercs that you wanted to play more, you should probably do that this weekend ;).

Conclusions will be jumped to. That’s fine. We’ve got plenty of information coming your way about this in the not too distant future. Most of which we think you’ll enjoy!

(BomBaKlaK) #2

Well, always curious to check.

(spookify) #3

I’m thick… Soooo You will be giving us 3 merc’s and we will need to start unlocking the other’s through XP?

OR you are taking away a ton of mercs to polish like you did for kara and phantom?

OR are you trying to focus our testing and balance based on an exclusive group of merc vs merc testing?

Example we will give you proxy, fragger and Saw only and we want to see how the game plays out. Example 2 kills, support (revives), ablility kills (Mines) and accuracy?

Add-On Red-Dot this whooper of an update?
Performance Update?
Net working update?
Better nade handling?
Fixed shotguns?

Bye Arty :frowning: He was the only person that felt accurate sometimes. And I mean sometimes as bullets still tend to go where ever they want!

(rookie1) #4

I hope it will done with …class :wink:

(Silvanoshi) #5

We’ll be discussing the specifics of the changes in the not too distant future. What I’ll say now is that if you have Mercs who you still want a little more game time with, it’d be a good idea to have that game time this weekend ;).

(Glottis-3D) #6

Im in the hospital till tuesday :frowning:

(Silvanoshi) #7

Oh dear, good luck with the recovery! Hopefully all will be well soon.

(Pytox) #8

I think they will keep the 3 mercs you played most with and lock all the others so you have to play for unlocking the rest :wink:

(Dthy) #9

I suck at making friends, how much can I bribe a merc to be a pretend friend?

(spookify) #10

Come’on more moves from Smooth! Balance tweaks oh yeah! Please!

Or the coding team to smooth out game play so it doesnt effect bullets or hit register. :smiley:

Collision!!! Person to Person and Floor bumps!?! :stroggtapir:

Mouse lag fix!

So on and so forth :penguin:

(chippy) #11

Part of me is overly excited, another extremely confused and sceptical. I like it!

(MrFunkyFunk) #12

A training ground to be completed with a new merc before being able to fully unlock it (or some linked achievements stuff).

(BomBaKlaK) #13

[QUOTE=chippy;505991]Part of me is overly excited, another extremely confused and sceptical. I like it!

[/QUOTE]

Mouhahahahahaha ! the answer tomorow

(PixelTwitch) #14

[QUOTE=chippy;505991]Part of me is overly excited, another extremely confused and sceptical. I like it!

[/QUOTE]

I actually go clubbing there -.-

What it sounds like to me is that basically you will unlock Mercs based on your play style. With set “missions” to actually unlock other mercs requiring you to prove you can use them… Should lead to more people playing what they are good at in the long run and prevent the sniper spam :smiley: but hey just a guess.

(spookify) #15

He did say get the merc’s you like to play in so unlocks is probably right however if you really try I bet you could unlock level 60 in a few days if you really try…

Guessing Arty or Val will be level 59 or 60 unlock haha!

Power leveling anyone? There is always a way…

I hope they just take the mercs out for a patch to zone in on power to skill ratio’s…

Prox vs Saw vs Fragger… Balance the 3 vs each other…

• Saw might become useless…

(tokamak) #16

So basically players get to have a taste with the merc before they unlock it entirely? That’s sensible in a F2P context. The way WoTers grind for months through a tank tree and then grow very unhappy with the end result is the biggest downside of that game.

(montheponies) #17

I rarely play anything other than saw and skyhammer so will be interesting to get forced into playing other mercs for a change. Also main thing is that there’s an update on Monday by the sounds of things then…good stuff :smiley:

(Mustang) #18

On the surface this looks like a good idea, interested to see how this operates, for example if once you’ve made a friend will they unfriend you if you neglect them, my concerns are that I won’t be able to use my prefered merc all the time and that I’ll be forced to use ones that I have no interest in going near and don’t mesh with my playstyle.

I always get scared when I hear such big statements as they are clearly intended to generate hype, but with hype comes expectations and to build expectations then fail to get near them overall drops confidence a lot more than not building them so high in the first place.

This is interesting and all, but I’m still more interested in the changes that will add movement, fix gameplay, and do some of the things the community have been asking about, I see this as more icing than cake.

(Silvanoshi) #19

[QUOTE=PixelTwitch;505996]I actually go clubbing there -.-

What it sounds like to me is that basically you will unlock Mercs based on your play style. With set “missions” to actually unlock other mercs requiring you to prove you can use them… Should lead to more people playing what they are good at in the long run and prevent the sniper spam :smiley: but hey just a guess.[/QUOTE]

I won’t say much atm, but I can categorically state that this will not be the case.

There’s a strong possibility that you guys are over-thinking this initial release ;).

No matter what we release, there’s no way to get away from the Monday blues, wouldn’t to release an update with those blues in effect.

[QUOTE=Mustang;506005]On the surface this looks like a good idea, interested to see how this operates, for example if once you’ve made a friend will they unfriend you if you neglect them, my concerns are that I won’t be able to use my prefered merc all the time and that I’ll be forced to use ones that I have no interest in going near and don’t mesh with my playstyle.

I always get scared when I hear such big statements as they are clearly intended to generate hype, but with hype comes expectations and to build expectations then fail to get near them overall drops confidence a lot more than not building them so high in the first place.

This is interesting and all, but I’m still more interested in the changes that will add movement, fix gameplay, and do some of the things the community have been asking about, I see this as more icing than cake.[/QUOTE]

This’ll be a whopper of an update in the sense that it reveal’s a great deal about the game and how it’ll operate. That’s a pretty big info & game release :). Anyone expecting 20 new maps or every single niggling complaint to be addressed will be disappointed.

(Silvanoshi) #20

No matter what we release, there’s no way to get away from the Monday blues, wouldn’t to release an update with those blues in effect.

[QUOTE=Mustang;506005]On the surface this looks like a good idea, interested to see how this operates, for example if once you’ve made a friend will they unfriend you if you neglect them, my concerns are that I won’t be able to use my prefered merc all the time and that I’ll be forced to use ones that I have no interest in going near and don’t mesh with my playstyle.

This is interesting and all, but I’m still more interested in the changes that will add movement, fix gameplay, and do some of the things the community have been asking about, I see this as more icing than cake.[/QUOTE]

This’ll be a whopper of an update in the sense that it reveal’s a great deal about the game and how it’ll operate. That’s a pretty big info & game release :). Anyone expecting 20 new maps or every single niggling complaint to be addressed will be disappointed.