Need assistance getting omni-bot working on dedicated Wolf ET v2.60b Linux server

(homepc2) #1

Hello everyone,

I’m an old fan of Wolf ET, and thanks to my brother, I’ve recently rediscovered the game again. Inspired by this timeless classic, I’ve been trying to get a dedicated server up + running… but I’ve run into a problem that has me quite befuddled. I recommissioned an older PC that we had here at the house with the intention of installing Linux and setting it up as a dedicated Wolf ET host. Everything had been going quite well up until this point, but I just haven’t been able to get the bots working like so many servers are running. I’ve scoured Google, followed along server setup how-tos step-by-step, and clicked through various message threads until my eyes bled.

Bottom line, after nearly a week… I’ve come to the realization that I need some help getting over this last hurdle and hope reaching out to my fellow gamers here will lead me to the resolution.

I’ve got the game (v2.60b) installed in the default location (/usr/local/games/enemy-territory), and the MOD folder + ‘omni-bot’ (v0.831) folder reside in the same location as well.

Here’s a snippet from the terminal window of the error (but I will be more than happy to post the full startup log):

Setting MOTD…
Disabling sv_floodprotect
Lua API: Loading luascripts/FAQ.lua
Omni-bot: ^1LoadLibrary Failed with Error: = /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Omni-bot: ^2Looking for = /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so,
Omni-bot: ^1LoadLibrary Failed with Error: ./omnibot_et.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Omni-bot: ^2Looking for ./omnibot_et.so,
Omni-bot: ^1LoadLibrary Failed with Error: /home/etuser/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Omni-bot: ^2Looking for /home/etuser/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so,
Omni-bot: ^1LoadLibrary Failed with Error: omnibot_et.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Omni-bot: ^2Looking for omnibot_et.so,
^1Unable to Initialize Omni-Bot.

Here’s a snippet from the server.cfg file located in the MOD folder:
set omnibot_enable “1”
set omnibot_path = “/usr/local/games/enemy-territory/omni-bot”

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my plea for help!

(Micha) #2

Linuxs default folder is “wolfensteingame”/.etwolf/
try to do “+set fs_homepath x” and “+set fs_basepath x” into the starting line of server while x is the path to your wolfenstein game.

(diaboliksmart) #3

What MOD do you use Mr Homepc2 ?

(homepc2) #4

[QUOTE=Micha;505002]Linuxs default folder is “wolfensteingame”/.etwolf/
try to do “+set fs_homepath x” and “+set fa_basepath x” into the starting line of server while x is the path to your wolfenstein game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendation, Micha. I finally got it working (somehow)… and as crazy + labor intensive as it sounds, I basically just started over from scratch and ran through the installation process again. However, this time around I elected to nest everything in the user account home folder instead of going with the default installer locaiton (/usr/local/games/enemy-territory).

Bottom-line, it’s finally working and I hope it stays that way!

I’ve got another problem, though… and one that I’ve been trying to sort for nearly the same amount of time. For whatever reason, I can’t get our little homebrewed server to register on the Master server list in the game’s built-in server browser. Both entries resolve upon server starup… any suggestions?

Here’s what I’ve got right now in the server.cfg:

set sv_master1 “etmaster.idsoftware.com
set sv_master5 “master0.etmaster.net

Thanks again for taking the time chime in on my earlier dilemma with the bots.

(homepc2) #5

We’re running the ETNAM MOD. What other MODs do you recommend?

(Nail) #6

if game server is on same network as client, game will only show as local to home client, should be fine for others

(Micha) #7

Hm be sure to have “+set dedicated 2” (2=show on internet) and “+set net_ip 192.168.178.23” “+set net_port 27960” in the starting line of server. IP should be your router ip and any port number. Be sure the port is open on your router firewall.

The master commands are useless as far as I know. Servers wont show up if they are empty or port is closed.

Here are mine:
set sv_master2 “master.gamespy.com:27900
set sv_master3 “master0.gamespy.com
set sv_master4 “clanservers.net
set sv_master5 “master0.etmaster.net

(Mateos) #8

Also the list doesn’t display empty servers, even with the filter allowed client-side, but if you have bots it is fine. Just to let you know :slight_smile:

(ETJump-Zero) #9

Are you sure there’s the omnibot file (omnibot_et.so) in the correct folder (/usr/local/games/enemy-territory/omni-bot/)? Make sure the files can be accessed by the user that is used to run the server executable. It clearly says that it cannot locate the omnibot_et.so file.

(Mateos) #10

10 chars ars rs s

(diaboliksmart) #11

ETNAM is very beautiful, but don’t give automatic etkey to players, and frequently crash.

You should run silEnT mod :

• automatic etkey for new “virgin” players xD
  • full tuning on settings
  • a website with forum and helpful people
  • and the most important: a built-in Anti-Cheat

Go and register there: http://mygamingtalk.com/ I’ll catch you xD

Have fun with your home server, you are going to enjoy a new life xDD

(ailmanki) #12

lol, I say you should run n!tmod
http://etmods.net/

(Destroy666) #13

Not necessarily. I ran an etnam server for almost 2 years and it had only rare client crashes in certain situations (one connected with defusing spotted tripmines IIRC). Except that, it worked quite smoothly.

(homepc2) #14

Thanks for the reply, Nail. Yeah, I noticed that the server would only populate in the ‘Local’ list, but seemed to be missing from the ‘Internet’ list. I wasn’t real sure why that was the case?

(homepc2) #15

[QUOTE=Micha;505225]Hm be sure to have “+set dedicated 2” (2=show on internet) and “+set net_ip 192.168.178.23” “+set net_port 27960” in the starting line of server. IP should be your router ip and any port number. Be sure the port is open on your router firewall.

The master commands are useless as far as I know. Servers wont show up if they are empty or port is closed.

Here are mine:
set sv_master2 “master.gamespy.com:27900
set sv_master3 “master0.gamespy.com
set sv_master4 “clanservers.net
set sv_master5 “master0.etmaster.net”[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the informative reply, Micha. I’ve got everything setup exactly as you specified, with exception to adding the additional master servers you shared with us here. I’ll update the server.cfg this evening.

(homepc2) #16

Roger that, Mateos. I appreciate the heads up! I’ll be sure to populate the server with bots whenever it’s up + running, which will hopefully facilitate the ‘Master’ in picking it up.

(homepc2) #17

Thanks for the reply, ETJump-Zero. Yes, you are correct… that was indeed the frustrating error before I finally solved the problem by starting over and moving everything into the ‘home’ folder. I’m still convinced that I had the absolute path correct, but obviously something was clearly amiss for it to not execute as it should upon launching the server.

(homepc2) #18

I’m not sure that I follow you, Mateos? Help me understand what you’re saying here… my brain is shot from the day I had and the beer beside me doesn’t seem to be making it any clearer!

(homepc2) #19

[QUOTE=diaboliksmart;505380]ETNAM is very beautiful, but don’t give automatic etkey to players, and frequently crash.

You should run silEnT mod :

• automatic etkey for new “virgin” players xD
  • full tuning on settings
  • a website with forum and helpful people
  • and the most important: a built-in Anti-Cheat

Go and register there: http://mygamingtalk.com/ I’ll catch you xD

Have fun with your home server, you are going to enjoy a new life xDD[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, diaboliksmart. Yeah, ETNAM is way cool… but the implementation of a silEnT server is definitely something that I would like to setup here at home as well. Perhaps this weekend will afford me the opportunity to do so… fingers-crossed!

(homepc2) #20

[QUOTE=ailmanki;505445]lol, I say you should run n!tmod
http://etmods.net/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, ailmanki. Good recommendation… that is another MOD that I’ve actually been thinking about as well.