Overly Generous Ammo Crates

(DB Genome editor) #1

I actually used an ammo crate for the first time today and noticed that my ammo count looked wonky after a full reload: I ended up with 169 bullets in reserve for Bushwhacker’s SMG which has 45-shot clips and normally maxes out at 45+135 (1 clip in + 3 spares) from ammo packs / stations…:confused:

So I did a bit of poking around with different mercs and figured out the following:

[ul]
[li]The refill rate for all weapons seems to be 1/4 of a full clip per sec, rounded down to full bullets. The pace is fine to keep FOps in business, but the rounding down is a bit unfair for weapons with small clips, 7 being the worst case. For instance, it takes 12 secs to get a full ammo load for a Mk46 MG (1 80-bullet belt on the gun + 2 spares for 240 bullets total at 20 bullets / sec) while Fletcher’s shotgun will take 28 secs for a full reload (7 in + 21 spares) at a ridiculous 1 shell / sec. But the biggest looser is the Caulden pistol which will take a staggering 56 sec to refill completely :eek:. Maybe rounding off to the nearest number (<0.5 down, >=0.5 up) instead if straight down would keep things more even?
[/li]

[li]If your gun is empty, the ammo crate will refill your ammo up to the normal maximum, same as with ammo packs / stations: start-up load + 1 clip / belt / full magazine. For instance the Mk46 reserve will go 0, 20, 40,… up to 240. That’s expected behavior.
[/li]

[li]If you have any bullets left in your gun, the ammo crate will progressively refill your reserve until your total number of bullets reaches the normal maximum then your reserve alone (excluding any bullets already in the gun) will instantaneously jump to your full maximum load minus the 1/4 clip increment step. Take the Mk46 again, with a full belt but no reserves (80 + 0): the reserve will go 0, 20, 40, …, 140, 160 (at this point you have the max of 240 bullets total), then instantly to 220 for a total of 300 bullets or 60 more than the normal max total (or one extra 80-bullet belt minus the 20 bullet refill step). So you can effectively get an extra 3/4 of a clip (rounded up) by refilling at an ammo crate. I doubt this was intended…
[/li][/ul]