texture lighting problem

(mika_x) #1

When I put two light-emitting brushes together.
This happens.

Screenshot

I think the circles are created because they got lit by each other…

Shader:

textures/45/light_red
{
	qer_editorimage textures/45/light_red.tga
	surfaceparm nodamage
	surfaceparm nomarks
	// q3map_surfacelight 900   (tested)
	q3map_surfacelight 700
	q3map_backSplash 0 0
	q3map_lightSubdivide 512
	{
		map textures/45/light_red.tga
	}
	{
		map $lightmap 
		blendfunc filter
		tcGen lightmap 
	}
	{
		blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
		rgbGen identity //vertex
	}  
	{
		blendfunc add
		tcMod scroll 0.0 0
	}
}

Just wondering if this can be fixed.

(stealth6) #2

What do you mean by fixed? Turn off the lights or just remove it in this case?

You could remove q3map_surfacelight and then use light entities to add light.
You could remove the lightmap stage from the wall texture.
You could resize the lights so this doesn’t happen (don’t let them touch in the corner)

(mika_x) #3

[QUOTE=stealth6;503657]What do you mean by fixed? Turn off the lights or just remove it in this case?

You could remove q3map_surfacelight and then use light entities to add light.
You could remove the lightmap stage from the wall texture.
You could resize the lights so this doesn’t happen (don’t let them touch in the corner)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help.
By fixing I mean is there any way to avoid this weird problem without changing the looks of it.

(stealth6) #4

I don’t think you can remove this effect and keep q3map_surfacelight in the shader. The problem is non existant, it’s just the way light textures work. They produce light which is then cast onto the wall. So you either need to remove q3map_surfacelight or remove the lightmap stage from the wall texture.

You could try messing with q3map_lightSubdivide, but I don’t think it’s going to help.

(mika_x) #5

[QUOTE=stealth6;503683]I don’t think you can remove this effect and keep q3map_surfacelight in the shader. The problem is non existant, it’s just the way light textures work. They produce light which is then cast onto the wall. So you either need to remove q3map_surfacelight or remove the lightmap stage from the wall texture.

You could try messing with q3map_lightSubdivide, but I don’t think it’s going to help.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I think I will just let it stay that way then.

(ailmanki) #6

http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs/shader_manual/q3map-global-directives.html#q3map_lightSubdivide

You have it set to 512, thats to big. There is one light source in the corner and then 512 units far away the next one.

This stuff actually does place light entities which then are used as light source. Its not the surface emitting the light.
Better use a small value, and less intensity, so you get that effect everywhere. Or - place the lights manually… To get more control over what is happening.