Mismatch - marriages NOT made in Heaven

(Eldarberry) #1

There’s no to very little fun in playing the part of some other player’s whacking doll - as I’m sure every Rad Soldiers player will agree who’s had to suffer the pointless agony of pitting a 15th level newbie squad against a 40 th level tightly knit section of well-armed seasoned veterans. The only thing worse would be to actually lead that gang of proud war zone rangers against a hopeless band of nincompoops, I suppose.

Why does the random opponent system insist on making such mismatches? It would seem a trivial task to come up with a random opponent matching bot capable of setting up more evenly matched duels that would challenge both players rather than bore one and frustrate the other to the point of abandoning the game entirely.

Please, please - this is a great game concept - if one has a fair chance of actually winning and/or losing a match every now and again.

(tinker) #2

Hey there Eldarberry

I think the point of the current matchmaking is to start a game as soon as possible.
if one would want more “fairness” , it would be at cost of more waiting time.

while it is hard to make a “fair” game, since Level and Squad say nothing about “skill” in this game.
there are lvl 10 players that win against me, and there are lvl 40 players that have no chance against me

• and I believe every veteran player could agree with that.

And I believe every good player will agree, that it is good for your own sake to end all (or at least 90%) of the missions with 3 stars.
bots don’t play like players, but playing them gives you a good understanding of how the game works, you may find out some nice strategies for yourself and get to test at least 3 or 4 different squads(or Setups) for yourself.

when I started with the game, I picked Pete , and never had a big problem with that setup, I had a w/l ratio of 5 (to 1) and used this till lvl 30
and I never played this kind of strategy game before. and many veteran players can relate to that.
this is the reason why I always state, that you dont need to buy something and you don’t have to spent masses of time to be any good in this game.
all it takes is Brainwork and at the beginning lots of use of the “undo” button - nothing more.

and to be honest, playing against stronger players - SERIOUSLY - is the only way of getting better
most veteran players know this, when starting 20 random games and playing them to the end (while 95% are quite easy) and afterwords playing 1 game against another really good player , you play reckless and bad

and when you play seriously against BETTER players, you think 2 or 3 times more and test your turn 3 or 4 times more, resulting in better playing and a better end of the game.

having a better Matchmaking is great, but in the end, there is no good or “perfect” matchmaking.
you don’t even find it on the most played online-pc games (like Dota, WoW, LoL, battlefield…)
a real match is found with some action of yourself, search activly for good opponents on the net

if you want some “mirror-matches” (same setup/squad) against me, just send invites (to tinker)

with friendly regards
me

(g00n) #3

with Tinks on this, its a challenge.
I go random maps with random players games so sometimes handicap myself with squad mix…it is all go…thats if the player dosnt quit. I dont mind if they not upto the challenge and decide to end in first round, it is after when you are in 3rd plus I get peeved.I only repeat games if chatting is part of game, and they use different squad combinations, otherwise it just one game and I dont quit.

Having one off games with someone you never knew, you sometimes find a few weakness’s in your play in the game or in my case play a bit to cocky or cautious (depending on toon combo-espcially OP squads) and get into trouble for under estimating your opponent.
So level rank can be deceiving. All it shows is they have limited captain abilities, game experience (unless they have more than one account) and maybe limited toons/weapons but this can be solved if they spent money to gain new maps etc. Skill is what the challenge is about, in setting up and using what they got can surprise you.

(Eldarberry) #4

Well, of course you are right. Thanx for pitching in with your thoughts, it help me raise my own morale, suck it up and get on with playing.