Sound/Hit deviation

(.FROST.) #1

Is there one, or do I just get constantly oneshot killed? I mean, I hear one hit sound, and kabooom; dead. Then I see it was a SMG that had apparently killed me with one shot, over a distance of at least 8 ingame meters, and I had full health. Could this actually be real? I’m sure I was hit a couple times more, but I only hear one impact sound. I had similar experiences in Brink, which was really bullet spongy and one shot kills with a regular gun were almost impossible, yet it happened. What is wrong there? Brink and DB don’t even share the same engine, so how could this happen?

Are you guys experiencing the same, or is it just a false/inacurate, subjective impression, from my side?

(Smooth) #2

Any videos you can provide of these instances would be great.

We know a problem exists and we’re working towards improving the feedback of getting shot but there could be more to it :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #3

[QUOTE=Smooth;501534]Any videos you can provide of these instances would be great.

We know a problem exists and we’re working towards improving the feedback of getting shot but there could be more to it :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I never captured anything on PC :o but I’ll see what I can do. There must be some free capture software out there, any suggestions?

(BrightIs) #4

Had that 1 or 2 times recently. Could be more than 1 player shooting at the same time, so instead of 1 bullet hitting, many bullets are, but as they are at the same time, only 1 shot heard?

(Snotling) #5

Ain’t that just a sound bug? It already happened to me but seemed legit so I didn’t worry.

(Violator) #6

Thats my current theory, it usually happens when gang-banged. I’ve also many times heard 3 or 4 headshot dings on an opponent but then apparently died in one non-headshot, but again this is usually when outnumbered but I’ve not seen the other players. I’m reluctant to record any demos though incase I get banned again (if that was the reason, I was using Fraps).

Would be nice to get feedback on when you are headshot - only the killing shot type is recorded in the obituary so you could well have been headshotted 3 times but the killing blow was a bodyshot.

(.FROST.) #7

That could be, but it happens a bit too often, for a mere coincidence, and in situations where I’m pretty sure, I was “alone” with the guy who shot me.

Well, I certainly won’t lose sleep over it, but I thought it was worth mentioning. And I’m sure that SD would like to hear from any kind of bug, glitch and exploit we encounter in the game. The beta is definitely not the right place to just cope with such stuff.

(AssortedStuff) #8

I’m glad you posted about this as I always wonder why it takes so many bullets to kill adversaries but I seem to go down with just a few. Could well be something to do with sound.

On a similar topic, I have set the hit sounds to on and the other day I shot a guy 3 times in the head and he didn’t die :eek: I don’t know what was going on there, I wish I had a recording of it.

Open Broadcaster Software is a Free, open source software for live streaming and recording. If you have a Nvidia graphics card you can also try their GeForce ShadowPlay.
Important tip, if you’re uploading to youtube have your file in a mp4 format and h264 or x264 codec - it will make the upload go way faster.
And because of the NDA when uploading set the video as ‘unlisted’. It will not show up in searches and the only way to get to it is if you post the link to it.

(Scarhand) #9

If you are sawbones it takes 5 I believe.

(PixelTwitch) #10

[QUOTE=Smooth;501534]Any videos you can provide of these instances would be great.

We know a problem exists and we’re working towards improving the feedback of getting shot but there could be more to it :)[/QUOTE]

I will look for footage of the issue. However, I feel its linked to packet loss because when ever it happens to me I notice a slight stutter with the enemies movement. Possible that all missed/delayed packets hit at once causing sounds to play instantly overlapping?

(.FROST.) #11

[QUOTE=AssortedStuff;501578]Open Broadcaster Software is a Free, open source software for live streaming and recording. If you have a Nvidia graphics card you can also try their GeForce ShadowPlay.
Important tip, if you’re uploading to youtube have your file in a mp4 format and h264 or x264 codec - it will make the upload go way faster.
And because of the NDA when uploading set the video as ‘unlisted’. It will not show up in searches and the only way to get to it is if you post the link to it.[/QUOTE]

Very cool, thanks for those links man, I’ll definitely check them out. However, I’m really curious, if those will still let me play the game with an acceptable framerate.

(onYn) #12

I think it would help a lot if we would also see who assisted the killer. Sometimes you maybe just get shot from 2 people at the same time. The fast rate of fire also makes it sometimes feel like oneshoting - because 3 or 4 shots are done very fast and can kill you almost in an instant when aimed at the head.

(Smooth) #13

We do plan to add a list of all the damage you took before death to the death-ghost information, not just the killing blow :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #14

That will be extremely awesome. This will really help you to understand your own mistakes and what really killed you in total.

(AssortedStuff) #15

Your CPU and graphics card play a part but another important point is what video format you’re recording as.
Recording as uncompressed video you will not suffer framerate loss, but the filesize is unmanageable so you’ll have to compress video as you record. I’d say a good point to start would be to google “OBS no lag” (or replace ‘OBS’ with your program of choice).

(Alchemy) #16

dota2, has a nice death recap with numbers+icons

Also maybe you could offer different hit sounds for cough cough money cough