More control in sprint state

(.FROST.) #1

I don’t know, if this topic deserves a seperate thread, since I opened a similar one just before(following link),

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/40523-Who-wants-needs-this-physics-shenanigans-anyways

but I think I’ve figured out a way, how the ideas of the devs and the want, for a more responsive movement system, from the players, could get together. I didn’t knew, why the devs felt the need for this character inertia, but Smooth explained it like this:

“The last time we increased acceleration (by 20% to what we have now) we saw a global drop in average accuracy of around 5% and we’re getting feedback that players are too hard to hit and track. Making it any faster will make the left-right spam quite ridiculous”

After thinking a bit about it I came to the suprising conclusion, that I actually never had that much of a problem with the inertia, when I was engaged in a firefight. Most of the time I felt the disadvantages of the momentary movement system, when I was just running around, dogging incoming fire from afar, or trying to get to the objective, etc. So my idea was, that they just increase the control in sprint state as much as they possibly can, but leave the “spongeness” when you are in walking state. Maybe the increased responsiveness could have a startup delay, let’s say half a second, or 400ms, idk.

From a logical standpoint it makes no sense, that you’d get increased control over your char, when you run, as opposed to when you walk or strafe, but I think from a gameplay standpoint it could be worth a try. Maybe just a quick intern dev test, but I’m very curious, of how that would feel ingame.

What are your opinions on this as a player, or as developer? Does it sound like complete garbage, or like something that’s at least worth looking into?

(Mustang) #2

What spongeness?

Seems responsive enough to me, is it input lag?

(.FROST.) #3

[QUOTE=Mustang;500946]What spongeness?

Seems responsive enough to me, is it input lag?[/QUOTE]

It may be responsive, but only from a technical POV. With other words, the game may instantly process your inputs, but it won’t instantly change your char’s direction, because of the artificial inertia, that’s build in, in the movement system. The opposite of this system would be 0.0 inertia/movement delay and your char would follow your inputs 1:1, pixel perfect. That would probably look kinda awkward, maybe a bit cheap and ofc very old school, compared to all the other modern games out there, which are usually chock-full with physics and effects gimmickery, but I think most people would actually welcome such a bare bones movement system.

I’d wish for a zero delay and zero inertia weekend, as long as this game hasn’t gone live. Just to see what the responses would be; not necessarilly to actually keep it in the game, but just to see how “old-school-DB” would play.