Support Quake Wars now or make a new one?

(tobactrac) #1

Hey all. I haven’t played this game in forever and I’m sad to see that it’s just about on its last legs. There’s a petition here for QW to come back somehow, and I got to thinking: what do you guys prefer? For id/Splash Damage to make it free to play or to develop a new one entirely?

Personally, I’m not so sure how easy the former is to do if that includes microtransactions and all that junk. Those things are tied tightly into the mechanics of the game, not just tacked on. I can’t imagine that any time would be spent on it, especially if it’s rather than developing something new.

(Khamul) #2

Too late, but i signed it anyway

(.Chris.) #3

I like how you don’t even consider the other and more realistic option of having the community support the game, something they were willing to do years ago when we had people working on mods and custom maps for this game but no, the masses wanted content they could earn shiny medals and up their ranks on instead, “WISH OFFICIAL MAPS!” - QuakeJoe, with such a small number of players willing to engage with the modding community and try their works those modders were driven to other games/engines, shame really as there was a wealth of skill and knowledge that could have kept this game alive and thriving.

(Loffy) #4

Chris has a valid point.

My heroes are server admins that run custom maps. Just saying. Regardless of what shooter game it is.

(Runeforce) #5

I see three options: release the source and assets under a freedom loving license and the community will take care of the continuation themselves, or refuse and the community will take care of it “underground,” or nobody cares, the community will have diverting opinions and the game will die.

I will not sign the petition, since, at the same time, is both too naive and does not ask for enough! Thank You SD, for having enough forsight to insist (to the publisher,) that the game does not require a license key to be functional on LAN!

(And you have to excuse me, I have heard of some doctors working in CAR and outside Syria, whom I have to donate some more money to.)

(tobactrac) #6

Ah, super good points! I should add in greater community support for sure.

EDIT: I went ahead and updated the petition. Let me know what you guys think/what’s still missing!

(edxot) #7

i have an answer for you. not sure if you are going to like it.

one of the reasons for this game to be dying is this:

the game is there. servers are working. the only missing thing is an efective anti-cheat mechanism.

(Nail) #8

geez bud, you got a serious red star thing going on, are you soliciting them, or are you just that big an asshat?

(edxot) #9

i have no clue

if i remind correctly, you gave me some reputation in the past too.

so, you better ask to yourself: dont i have something better to do ?

(Chronicler) #10

I hear you repeat this a lot, and you are starting to sound kind of bitter =P

But you know Chris, if you want to do something, I’m pretty sure it’s still possible. I know you are working on maps, I know some other external people are doing it, and many within TAW are still working on maps/mods.

Now personally, I don’t have the skill to do anything like this, but TAW is a community of over 2500 members, I’m sure that between the The Art of Warfare community, the TAW Quake Wars division, and then yourself and any old/current people you would like to invite, we would have enough skill and expertise to do anything we wanted.

TAW has been trying to support the community in the past, I know that when the auth server went down, Omelet created a VPN and TAW kept on playing, and many other things mods/maps/modifications as well. I know that there was some talking of switching so TAW plays over a vpn and not using the old netcode to solve the lag issues inherent in this game.

But yeah, if you want to do something, it would probably be possible. But it would have to be lead by someone, and it would have to be organized.

You and me talked about TAW EU Battalion beta testing your new map/maps, and we are happy to do that, because you have made some great maps.

And I’m sure if there was anything else you wanted to do, TAW could help.

I have some current plans on increasing the TAW EU membership, both our event group and a new public group, if this is done I hope we can get our custom public server fixed, and then we can run a pub night each week in addition to our events, and perhaps when we are not playing tournaments we can run two custom pub servers with different maps to get some people on.

But yeah, if you want to do something, just talk to me on irc.

(acekiller345) #11

[QUOTE=Chronicler;500691]I hear you repeat this a lot, and you are starting to sound kind of bitter =P

But you know Chris, if you want to do something, I’m pretty sure it’s still possible. I know you are working on maps, I know some other external people are doing it, and many within TAW are still working on maps/mods.

Now personally, I don’t have the skill to do anything like this, but TAW is a community of over 2500 members, I’m sure that between the The Art of Warfare community, the TAW Quake Wars division, and then yourself and any old/current people you would like to invite, we would have enough skill and expertise to do anything we wanted.

TAW has been trying to support the community in the past, I know that when the auth server went down, Omelet created a VPN and TAW kept on playing, and many other things mods/maps/modifications as well. I know that there was some talking of switching so TAW plays over a vpn and not using the old netcode to solve the lag issues inherent in this game.

But yeah, if you want to do something, it would probably be possible. But it would have to be lead by someone, and it would have to be organized.

You and me talked about TAW EU Battalion beta testing your new map/maps, and we are happy to do that, because you have made some great maps.

And I’m sure if there was anything else you wanted to do, TAW could help.

I have some current plans on increasing the TAW EU membership, both our event group and a new public group, if this is done I hope we can get our custom public server fixed, and then we can run a pub night each week in addition to our events, and perhaps when we are not playing tournaments we can run two custom pub servers with different maps to get some people on.

But yeah, if you want to do something, just talk to me on irc.[/QUOTE]

What he says is true though. Even today, there are people on the pubs that dont want to take the time to install custom maps, and would rather keep playing the same 12 boring, original maps they have been playing for years.

(Dthy) #12

As much as I’d like a QW2 or something of that caliber, lets be real here. The petition would do nothing, you’d be better off actually doing something to try to encourage people to play QW rather than creating a petition. And what Chris said, if people didn’t want to try out customs/mods when there was a significant player base, why would people comeback/support it now when there are even less players?

(Chronicler) #13

Acekiller:

My experience is rather that most public players are completely unaware that custom maps exist, I’ve recuited a lot of people for TAW EU, not one has said “I don’t want to install custom maps”. And everyone that has joined and tried them has been very impressed and liked the maps. (The chance to play new maps was one of the tools I used for recruiting).

But ofc, not everyone are aware that such a thing as stroyent to health exist either =P.

(Rex) #14

That’s probably the reason why you started this funny poll.

As much as I and many others would like to see this game rise like a phoenix, it just won’t happen. Neither anyone will make it f2p, because simply no one cares about it anymore. I mean why should they?

Exactly. Because developing means costs and costs need to pay off later somewhen. This wouldn’t be the case here.
No custom content, free access, nor over-motivated recruiter from big pub clans will bring this long dead game to life again.

I voted for “Develop a new Quake Wars” by the way. This would be the only chance to bring this forgotten FPS genre back on the table again. QW being one of the most complex and skill-based shooters for me would have it very difficult today though. The player demands nowadays tend more to generic and dumbed down mainstream shooters where even the worst players get promoted for achieving nothing. The only difference is that they sell.

So the only chance I see is writing a convincing letter to Bethesda to warm their hearts…
Plan B would be crowd founding on kickstarter for instance.

(cloudhalo) #15

This game of cat and mouse is pissing me off about who owns quake wars. What is the worst that could happen if they make the game free to play(whoever owns it)? Just released the source code an make it free to play, whats the big deal? I doubt there is any money involved therefore sd or activision has nothing to lose? WHy cant One of the mods/community manager answer this question? They banned me for my negative comments last time so why cant they read this and answer the GOD DAMN QUESTION? GIVE US A REASON THAT DENIES YOU THE ABILITY TO MAKE THE GAME FREE TO PLAY SD OR WHOEVER?

(cloudhalo) #16

This game of cat and mouse is pissing me off about who owns quake wars. What is the worst that could happen if they make the game free to play(whoever owns it)? Just released the source code an make it free to play, whats the big deal? I doubt there is any money involved therefore sd or activision has nothing to lose? WHy cant One of the mods/community manager answer this question? They banned me for my negative comments last time so why cant they read this and answer the GOD DAMN QUESTION? GIVE US A REASON THAT DENIES YOU THE ABILITY TO MAKE THE GAME FREE TO PLAY, SD OR WHOEVER OWNS THE GAME?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

(Nail) #17

Zenimax/Bethesda own the game, they don’t read this forum. Go post on theirs

(Snotling) #18

I voted Develop a new QW, for what it’s worth, I still can dream…

(Rex) #19

Give me one reason why they should care about making QW f2p?

(Chronicler) #20

Because little children are starving to death having to play games like Call of Duty with auto-aim. Where is your humanity Rex?!