More spawn-protection please

(k0k0nat) #1

Matchmaking showed:

1. Miss-balanced teams
  2. Not-so good maps turn this into a nightmare. No chance to move around your foes, its face to face every time.

What happens:

You can basically jump in with 5 bushwhackers/proxies and spawnrape the shi*t out of the enemy team.
The should at least be a zone were turrets/airstrikes/mines etc. are prohibited.

Just to give new players a chance to revenge their too-early death. Or punish spawn rapers.

(AssortedStuff) #2

I have been thinking the same but I think the issue here is really one of team balance. If both teams are roughly the same strength they wouldn’t be able to pull that spawn camping ‘stunt’.
In unbalanced matches where the stronger team has no ‘honour’ I’ve see them just camping at the opponents spawn point and ruin the game for the remaining.
It would be good if enemies’ spawn points were inaccessible. Maybe even a bit after that. If I recall correctly they are inaccessible in Team Fortress 2. (haven’t played in a long time)

In Victoria you can actually just stand behind the attacker’s team 1st spawn point and wait for them (I had that done to me :frowning: )
And in the Underground map it was no fun either (as an attacker) to not been able to even go down the 1st set of escalators.

(chippy) #3

They are closed off, but there’s only a door seperating the spawn from any potential spawn campers. It does prevent spawncamping if the team decides never to open the door and try to fight their way out but other than that is basically just a bottlenecked meatgrind.

What you said regarding making it harder to actually reach the spawns would be a better idea. At least for Dirty Bomb.

(prophett) #4

Longer D spawn times would help this - just sayin (for the 100th time)

(k0k0nat) #5

Note when the the Defs spawnrape the attackers and dont get fragged.

(prophett) #6

There isn’t much that is going to help those situations. Quake wars had automated turrets defending safe zones and people still made it into the base to spawn rape.

(fubar) #7

Every game is plagued by spawnrapes if one team is vastly superior to the other, even bf3/4, cod, dota, LoL and other moba games present these issues, there is no real method to avoid this. Battlefield has very large “safe zones”, does it matter? No, they’ll live 5 seconds longer, but ultimately people will just camp and sit on the very edge and pick up their kills regardless. And quite honestly, I don’t mind. It’s part of the game, if you’re being spawnraped, it’s because you’re doing something wrong. Adapt, change whatever it is you’re doing and learn from the mistakes you’ve made to avert this from happening again. ET pubs still frequently get spawnraped, and you know what I see? Bunch of morons too afraid of leaving the spawn. Instead of using their spawn protection and killing the campers of, with their temporary invincibility, they instead decide to sit still and await death.
Spawnrape has quite frequently never been a real issue, in fact, if the opposing team is bold enough to go for it, all you need to do is break through once and you’ve shattered their entire defense. Spawnraping implies that the team is very likely risking full spawns, get a kill, it’s suddenly a 5v6, get another kill, watch them drop like flies and hand out a free objective to you. It really all just depends on how you choose to use the situation.

Also, this is where selectable spawns shine. If you’ve got multiple spawns to choose from, you can land a sneak to the objective, or simply even attack the campers from a different angle.

(njezic) #8

This is a quite successfully solved in Brink by using the “home” turrets that can not be destroyed by the opponents.

Detect the optimal position for this turrets locations to ensure that “home” team can spawn without problems and disperse in many directions before hard spawn attack from opposing team.

(**In Brink the only problem may be on Container City with first spawn location for attack team.)

(stealth6) #9

[QUOTE=fubar;500188]Every game is plagued by spawnrapes if one team is vastly superior to the other, even bf3/4, cod, dota, LoL and other moba games present these issues, there is no real method to avoid this. Battlefield has very large “safe zones”, does it matter? No, they’ll live 5 seconds longer, but ultimately people will just camp and sit on the very edge and pick up their kills regardless. And quite honestly, I don’t mind. It’s part of the game, if you’re being spawnraped, it’s because you’re doing something wrong. Adapt, change whatever it is you’re doing and learn from the mistakes you’ve made to avert this from happening again. ET pubs still frequently get spawnraped, and you know what I see? Bunch of morons too afraid of leaving the spawn. Instead of using their spawn protection and killing the campers of, with their temporary invincibility, they instead decide to sit still and await death.
Spawnrape has quite frequently never been a real issue, in fact, if the opposing team is bold enough to go for it, all you need to do is break through once and you’ve shattered their entire defense. Spawnraping implies that the team is very likely risking full spawns, get a kill, it’s suddenly a 5v6, get another kill, watch them drop like flies and hand out a free objective to you. It really all just depends on how you choose to use the situation.

Also, this is where selectable spawns shine. If you’ve got multiple spawns to choose from, you can land a sneak to the objective, or simply even attack the campers from a different angle.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, but if there is no solution to this problem the “morons” will simply leave the game leaving you with an empty server. None of the existing solutions seem to work very well, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a solution.
Maybe buff the spawn protection for players that consistently die w/o making a kill or give them a hp boost until they can get a kill?

(k0k0nat) #10

I am aware that the reason why such things as spawn camping happen = Imbalanced Teams.

Every game is plagued by spawnrapes if one team is vastly superior to the other, even bf3/4, cod, dota, LoL and other moba games present these issues, there is no real method to avoid this.

This also also true, but:

1. Planting turrets, airstrikes etc. on a spawn should be prohibited.
  2. Also, there should be a x-seconds spawn protection

Other ideas could be negative points, when camping in a spawn protected area.

(BomBaKlaK) #11

Yep due to the maps scale (uber small) it’s really easy to spawncamp a team, you need maximum 20s to travel spawn to spawn with the light body types … I feel like in a rat box, crappy maps …
With the actual maps (underground & trainyard) the game is a spawncamp during the map time or a 1 min map … enjoy.

This 2 maps are just a joke …
I still believe that was much more enjoyable with your previous longer maps.

(fubar) #12

[QUOTE=k0k0nat;500385]I am aware that the reason why such things as spawn camping happen = Imbalanced Teams.

This also also true, but:

1. Planting turrets, airstrikes etc. on a spawn should be prohibited.
  2. Also, there should be a x-seconds spawn protection

Other ideas could be negative points, when camping in a spawn protected area.[/QUOTE]

Which is… all fine, but still doesn’t solve what seems to be a huge issue for you. :stuck_out_tongue:
There’s a 3 second spawn protection in ET and RtCW both, has it ever stopped anyone from timing a grenade 1 second, or an airstrike 2? or even an artillery 8 seconds before the spawn, only to impact that very same second your opponent loses your spawnshield on?

I don’t see why airstrikes should be prohibited, this simply allows for better map designs that may or may not involve having to force your way through a Defender spawn and even capture it, limiting availability of abilities or weapons in a set area is not going to do anything but harm you.

Not to mention that, even in a high level game, spawnkills happen. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it either, if you’re skilled enough to see an opening for such, in a comp game, as well as landing and steering the airstrike properly, or nade, or panzer, or whatever your poison, all the while having timed it according to their spawn, why shouldn’t you be rewarded? It’s a lot easier to avoid being spawnkilled than actually landing a succesful spawnkill.

(k1ruaa) #13

[QUOTE=fubar;500188]Bunch of morons too afraid of leaving the spawn. Instead of using their spawn protection and killing the campers of, with their temporary invincibility, they instead decide to sit still and await death.
[/QUOTE]

Hello goldrush/supply second part :XD

(PixelTwitch) #14

Actually the spawn protection is removed the instant you fire your weapon. So players are panicking and opening fire without aiming.

(k0k0nat) #15

[QUOTE=fubar;500559]Which is… all fine, but still doesn’t solve what seems to be a huge issue for you. :stuck_out_tongue:
There’s a 3 second spawn protection in ET and RtCW both, has it ever stopped anyone from timing a grenade 1 second, or an airstrike 2? or even an artillery 8 seconds before the spawn, only to impact that very same second your opponent loses your spawnshield on?

I don’t see why airstrikes should be prohibited, this simply allows for better map designs that may or may not involve having to force your way through a Defender spawn and even capture it, limiting availability of abilities or weapons in a set area is not going to do anything but harm you.

Not to mention that, even in a high level game, spawnkills happen. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it either, if you’re skilled enough to see an opening for such, in a comp game, as well as landing and steering the airstrike properly, or nade, or panzer, or whatever your poison, all the while having timed it according to their spawn, why shouldn’t you be rewarded? It’s a lot easier to avoid being spawnkilled than actually landing a succesful spawnkill.[/QUOTE]

Its not about comp. gaming this time.
Do this to new players and they will instant rage quit the game.
There will be 100% some d-heads that will just spawnrape the ***** out of newbies, because the game is offering this.

Get 2-3 friends, run into the enemy spawn as bushwhacker and plant turrets.
LAME.

And the problem, as mentioned before:

It only takes seconds to move to the enemy spawn.

(AssortedStuff) #16

I remember that PixelTwitch has suggested, in another thread, that there should be a limit to repeated mercs in a team.
Let’s see if it’s something they’ll implement, because it has got its own pros and cons.
In one hand it could prevent nightmare situations as the ones described above on the other hand if you are on your own (and not in a group of friends/clan) and you join a random public game you’re probably be a bit upset if you cannot play as your favourite merc just because some dude in your team is already using it.