Is this game seriously region locked?

(Marto25) #1

Why…?

Just because I don’t speak the same language natively? Because I dont have the same skin color? Or because I don’t pledge alliance to the same flag?

Ping is obviously not the reason. If the servers are located in anywhere in the USA, I can play with 100-150 ping, which is perfectly normal for half the countries in the world.

You NEVER see good, respectable multiplayer games doing region locks.
Dota 2 doesnt do it, League of Legends doesnt do it. Call of Duty, Battlefield, GTA V, Brink.

I know this is an issue with the publisher, but i really am outraged that this is the case of Dirty Bomb.

You are just alienating your potential playerbase. You loose money and respect.
Is this ever going to be fixed?

(Kl3ppy) #2

Pls ask this question in the internal beta forum because it is a NDA breach. Therefore we cant answer you here in the public section.

(Decaptor) #3

Same here. As a big ET fan (spent so many hours playing that game) this is such a freaking disappointment… Was looking forward to get behind this project since I really enjoy Splash Damage’s work but **** this.

Region locking in this day and age? Cmon.

(Marto25) #4

I live 180 miles (300km) away from Mexico.
Is that not good enough for you?

I don’t choose which country im born in.

And don’t tell me that another provider will get Dirty Bomb into my region.
NO provider covers my country.
I can only play global games. Which is 99% of multiplayer games out there.

I really hope Nexon stops its anti-forgein policy, at least for Dirty Bomb.

(acekiller345) #5

[QUOTE=Marto25;499840]

I live 180 miles (300km) away from Mexico.
Is that not good enough for you?

I don’t choose which country im born in.

And don’t tell me that another provider will get Dirty Bomb into my region.
NO provider covers my country.
I can only play global games. Which is 99% of multiplayer games out there.

I really hope Nexon stops its anti-forgein policy, at least for Dirty Bomb.[/QUOTE]

Post here:http://forums.nexon.net/forumdisplay.php?281-Load-Test-Feedback

That is the only place we can help you, since posting here is breaking the NDA.

(DB Genome editor) #6

Without breaching NDA, since all this was posted on the Splash Damage official blog…

Distribution in South America will be done Axeso5:

http://www.splashdamage.com/blog/1085/axeso5-bringing-dirty-bomb-south-america#.U4nEMSior8Q

Destiny is also covering Russia and other countries in Eastern Europe, but your “300 km from Mexico” tells me the link above is the one applicable to you :wink:

(Decaptor) #7

Oh well, my interest in this was short lived. That other partner is a *****ing mess to use it. Could have been fun but you guys just lost a player because of this non-sense. Next game please stick with the tried-and-true way of doing an online game.

(Sheza) #8

Tried and true way? Being what, like COD and Battlefield? No.

This is a freemium game. The closest SD partner is Nexon, a Korean company. Ergo, things are going to be done the Korean way. The Korean way involves licensing agreements with publisher companies. That’s just how it is.

(zivs) #9

Just passing by … Just like DB passing by Latvia (which happens to be EU member).

(Marto25) #10

The “korean way” of doing free to play is outdated, cruel towards the customer, and not respectable in the western gaming culture.
Almost none of the most respectable and talked free to play games follow korean ideas.

(Sheza) #11

[QUOTE=Marto25;500061]The “korean way” of doing free to play is outdated, cruel towards the customer, and not respectable in the western gaming culture.
Almost none of the most respectable and talked free to play games follow korean ideas.[/QUOTE]
Yes, they do, actually.

And cruel towards the customer? Nah, now it’s clear. You’re throwing insults towards Nexon and Splash Damage for doing what publishers do. Have you ever considered the fact that it’s better for other companies to make localised version of the game because they will be able to support it better? Nexon America can’t speak 50+ support languages. They don’t have mobile payment partners in every corner of the world.

‘Not respectable in western gaming culture;’ and to quote you from another topic ‘Nexon are Xenophobic and Racist’. These are comedy gold, please keep churning them out. It’s not practical to service the game everywhere. It’s the same reason you can’t buy an iPhone in every country in the world, or an Xbox One. It’s very costly to support it there. If the game wasn’t Free 2 Play then it wouldn’t be so difficult.

It’s also about the free market. A publisher wants to make, say, an Indonesian Dirty Bomb. At the moment Indonesia may be serviced by publisher Y who also services it in Malyasia and several other countries in the area. The Indonesia publisher makes a bid to the developer of the game (who holds the IP) to publish it in Indonesia. Once the existing publisher contract expires and they don’t want to cough up the money to keep publishing it in Indonesia, they’ll transfer the players to the other publisher. That’s a bit of a crude example, so I apologise, but you’re generally there.

It’s all about money, at the end of the day. Splash Damage will make more money by offloading the task of supporting foreign countries to local publishers who in turn have to licence the game from Splash Damage. Less work, more money.

(Marto25) #12

The problem is that most countries in the world have no publishers to buy the rights. So unless a global version exists, thousands of potential players are gone.

And yes, I have a bias against Nexon NA. I do not like their practices, their business, or the way they look at gaming (“It’s all about the money”).
I had been looking forward to Dirty Bomb since way before they announced any relationship with nexon. And I was extremely disappointed.
I loved Brink, the ideas and gameplay. But I will admit it was bugged to the point where it was unplayable.

I wanted a free, quality FPS. Instead I got the Axeso5 version, which will probably be overpriced, with delayed updates, translated, and full of trolls and unpleasant people, as latinamericans tend to be that way in most multiplayer games.

I simply believe Nexon is NOT the way forward.
Valve, Riot, Sony Online Entretainment, even Perfect World, which had a dreadful reputation, started to move on and adapt to the western market.

(Nail) #13

Have you applied for the Axeso5 version beta?
It’s not tied to Nexon afaik

btw, hard for free game to be overpriced

full of trolls and unpleasant people, as latinamericans tend to be that way in most multiplayer games

and you accuse Nexon of being rascist

(Runeforce) #14

Isn’t your country supported by the Russian version? I seem to remember a post by Badman, way back in the alpha days, were he stated that the Baltic countries would be supported by the Russian publisher. (Yeah,taking european history in account, it’s an insult. So is region dividing.)

(Sheza) #15

[QUOTE=Marto25;500121]The problem is that most countries in the world have no publishers to buy the rights. So unless a global version exists, thousands of potential players are gone.

And yes, I have a bias against Nexon NA. I do not like their practices, their business, or the way they look at gaming (“It’s all about the money”).
I had been looking forward to Dirty Bomb since way before they announced any relationship with nexon. And I was extremely disappointed.
I loved Brink, the ideas and gameplay. But I will admit it was bugged to the point where it was unplayable.

I wanted a free, quality FPS. Instead I got the Axeso5 version, which will probably be overpriced, with delayed updates, translated, and full of trolls and unpleasant people, as latinamericans tend to be that way in most multiplayer games.

I simply believe Nexon is NOT the way forward.
Valve, Riot, Sony Online Entretainment, even Perfect World, which had a dreadful reputation, started to move on and adapt to the western market.[/QUOTE]
Wait, so you can play the Axeso5 version? Then why are you complaining and talking about countries where nobody can access any version? You know which version you can access. You access that and not the ‘global’ version because Axeso5 have paid Splash Damage to publish the game in that region.

Nexon have been doing this for more than a decade. They’re still standing, they have some amazing games and have posted some pretty good profits. The companies that have self published the game like Riot, SOE and Perfect World are, IMO, much larger than Splash Damage. That’s why Splash Damage need the help in publishing the game.

(Seanza) #16

[QUOTE=Sheza;499997]Tried and true way? Being what, like COD and Battlefield? No.

This is a freemium game. The closest SD partner is Nexon, a Korean company. Ergo, things are going to be done the Korean way. The Korean way involves licensing agreements with publisher companies. That’s just how it is.[/QUOTE]

It’s actually Nexon America who are the partner for this game.

(Sheza) #17

Yeah I know, but their parent company is Nexon Co. Ltd who are Korean. The company and its subsidiaries all follow the Korean base model of game publishing.

(zivs) #18

It is supported (I guess) by Russian version, although we don’t have anything in common (besides being neighbors to them) with Russia. Being in European Union, even having *****ing Euros is not enough for funny guys at Nexon.

And yes, they were talking some bull**** like “Nexon doesn’t cover that countries with (was it micropayments and services or just one of them?) some sort of services” and what not else. Obviously PayPal or any major credit cards doesn’t work in Baltics and we don’t speak English (considering that English is almost as our mother language) either. It’s funny how Nexon divides player masses, just because they live in “wrong territory of Europe” (or they use outdated, let’s say, World War II era maps for dividing?) or “we think you don’t belong to this elite club-EU”.

All this Nexon partnership and region blocking just increases will to do what does probably most part of Combat Arms community - cheat and be generally unpleasant to the rest of DB community (which I still don’t do, since I have a 1% hope that maybe, just MAYBE, someday it will change). Just because - hey, who gives a ***** about them if they don’t give a **** about us? ;o

Also, that badman guy doesn’t do **** to change that. Told months ago that will investigate and do something about it and the result is … 0 ****s given/changed on that matter. These guys just talk and talk about stuff what will never happen (“oooh, Dirty Bomb will definitely run our (I underline word OUR with super bold stripe) way, not Nexon way - no region locks, no other limitations, bla bla bla”). Isn’t that so?

Then why did they make a partnership with them in first place, if they can’t do that (unlike Steam)? Feels like (to me, of course) that Splash Damage is bound to make not only ****ty games (keeping in mind that all their games lived that long just because of fan made mods (etqwpro, etpro and so on and on and on)), but lately also ****ty decisions.

[/RAGE]

(Nail) #19

Nexon has nothing to do with your region, why are you whining ?

grow a brain

(Sheza) #20

[QUOTE=zivs;500416]It is supported (I guess) by Russian version, although we don’t have anything in common (besides being neighbors to them) with Russia. Being in European Union, even having *****ing Euros is not enough for funny guys at Nexon.

And yes, they were talking some bull**** like “Nexon doesn’t cover that countries with (was it micropayments and services or just one of them?) some sort of services” and what not else. Obviously PayPal or any major credit cards doesn’t work in Baltics and we don’t speak English (considering that English is almost as our mother language) either. It’s funny how Nexon divides player masses, just because they live in “wrong territory of Europe” (or they use outdated, let’s say, World War II era maps for dividing?) or “we think you don’t belong to this elite club-EU”.

All this Nexon partnership and region blocking just increases will to do what does probably most part of Combat Arms community - cheat and be generally unpleasant to the rest of DB community (which I still don’t do, since I have a 1% hope that maybe, just MAYBE, someday it will change). Just because - hey, who gives a ***** about them if they don’t give a **** about us? ;o

Also, that badman guy doesn’t do **** to change that. Told months ago that will investigate and do something about it and the result is … 0 ****s given/changed on that matter. These guys just talk and talk about stuff what will never happen (“oooh, Dirty Bomb will definitely run our (I underline word OUR with super bold stripe) way, not Nexon way - no region locks, no other limitations, bla bla bla”). Isn’t that so?

Then why did they make a partnership with them in first place, if they can’t do that (unlike Steam)? Feels like (to me, of course) that Splash Damage is bound to make not only ****ty games (keeping in mind that all their games lived that long just because of fan made mods (etqwpro, etpro and so on and on and on)), but lately also ****ty decisions.

[/RAGE][/QUOTE]

1. Nexon doesn’t divide players because they live in the ‘wrong territory of Europe’. Nexon doesn’t proclaim the division, the Russian publisher does. They negotiate the contract with Splash Damage. They’ve decided in this case to run the game not only in Russia but also Lithuania, Ukraine and so on. That’s how licencing works, it’s business 101.

2. Can you provide a source for the claim that Dirty Bomb won’t have region locks?

3. Steam is much bigger than Nexon or Splash Damage. In addition, Steam doesn’t publish other people’s Free 2 Play games for them, they stick to their own. Therefore it’s not possible to expect Steam to publish Splash Damage, nor expect Nexon to provide the same level of international support as Valve.

I feel as though I didn’t explain myself correctly earlier. Nexon were the first partners for Dirty Bomb, securing the largest licence. But the decision to make it a licensable Free 2 Play game was likely a Splash Damage one. Sure, it might have been influenced by Nexon, but in the end Splash Damage decided they couldn’t really publish the game on Warchest themselves, and that they needed help. Dividing the contracts across areas is a business strategy.