Dedicated server rental

(BomBaKlaK) #1

So I just chek a post were SD told a bit about Dedicated server rental, finally ! (thx Rookie)

So :
Is Nexon the only server provider ?
Did you release the binaries ?
When can we be able to rent a server ? During the open Beta ? at release ?
Linux or windows ?

Can you give us some more news about all this ?

(Mustang) #2

This

#10chars

(BomBaKlaK) #3

So ? any news ?

(rookie1) #4

Was wondering if Hitbox can be increase/decrease as a comp parameter in some ways like :
normal/hard/very hard ?
That could simplify the battle difficulty config .

(Snotling) #5

[QUOTE=rookie1;498647]Was wondering if Hitbox can be increase/decrease as a comp parameter in some ways like :
normal/hard/very hard ?
That could simplify the battle difficulty config .[/QUOTE]

Does it mean we could set up some kind of promod as we have in ETQW?

(rookie1) #6

no idea srry

(BomBaKlaK) #7

So :
Is Nexon the only server provider ?
Did you release the binaries ?
When can we be able to rent a server ? During the open Beta ? at release ?
Linux or windows binaries only ?

Can you give us some more news about all this ?

still any news about all this ?

(ailmanki) #8

Nexon should be able to rent out a server. Most likely its impossible to run it on your own server with the current business model.

(BomBaKlaK) #9

Be able to run your own server is just a very good way to keep this game alive !
just look at TF2, custom server, custom content, CUSTOM MAPS, community made, etc …
The community need the Ability to run a server with custom maps for example.

community = Money

it’s much much cheaper for a community to rent a full dedicated server and put maybe 4 or 5 gameservers on it, and if there is linux files that’s perfect. So for me the choice is clear. Now i’m waiting for the SD & Nexon choice.

Don’t keep the community behind the door !

last thought : be able to raise the Maxclient at least to 24 is needed to ! For community maps

(Erkin31) #10

community = Money

Yeah. TF2, CS and the next UT (from what i have read) should be exemples to follow.

(Nail) #11

TF2 not a great example, they made a shed load of money and perma customers before it was free

(BomBaKlaK) #12

This is not the point …

(BomBaKlaK) #13

Up
10chars

(BomBaKlaK) #14

Up
10chars

(Glottis-3D) #15

in quakelive you can spawn 1 server (if you bought PRO-subscription) in any location.
this is kinda helpfull, since matches between team from different countries can be played with less ping diff.

there are lots of usual tweaking of mods/map rotation/rules/physics etc.

(sunshinefats) #16

On the possibly positive side, the partnership with steam means they would be in a position to easily provide binaries should they see fit, and there are several games on steam, as mentioned, that have proven their longevity due in no small part to this(tf2, l4d1&2, killing floor, etc.). But what it all comes back to is can they make money that way…will it encourage the in-game purchases they’re hoping for? That’s hard to speculate.
Seeing as how they’ve already mentioned rentals, and that they seem to be mostly about making an extra dollar(I’m not bashing, I’m just sayin), I doubt they will give us binaries at all, let alone linux binaries. As for rentals, that’s great for clans and competitive types, but it’s not going to do anything for the casuals, who are the ones more likely to spend the most money IMO. Ultimately I guess we’re still just playing the wait and see game.

(ToonBE) #17

Renting servers can be a steady monthly income… Clans can play on their own servers and they will deff pay for it… Heck, back in the day clans payed a monthly subscription for an anti cheat client scanner on their server (dmw)…

As for casuals… I knew guys just randomly renting a server to put it open for public play

(BomBaKlaK) #18

Still no infos …

(Tankey) #19

As long as there’s dedicated server with a decent anti cheat system. I get sick of the amount of cheaters on the games I play nowadays.

(INF3RN0) #20

I don’t expect they’d do this till later in OBT.