RtCW Single player demo recording problem

(huPoo) #1

We’re doing a new segmented speedrun of RtCW single player, but we have hard time finding the best way to record it. First we couldn’t record demos at all, it said “the server must have g_synchronousclients 1 set for demos” which crashed the game if put to 1. There was another similar command (same command without H) that allows demo recording, but demo playback crashes game again, giving error: “VM_Call with NULL vm”.

We can’t really use Fraps or similar program to do it either, since we have different players with different computers/resolutions and combining the video would be impossible to make look good.

(trAnc3) #2

Okay guys, running this game right now too, here how i solved this: just launch the game with +set g_synchronousClients 1 param

(trAnc3) #3

Yeah, the demo playback in single player seems to be really ****ed up, currently the only way to solve it is using fraps with the same settings preset for all runners, but yeah it still sucks.

(trAnc3) #4

Okay i found solution. There is a project called iortcw, which main purpose is to merge ioquake3 stuff with rtcw, this means updating enigne, imporivng gfx and fixing bugs.
You can grab latest binnaries here http://beach.ecgnetwork.co/iortcw/, seems to be project is active.
I tried it out, and it worked great for me, recording/playback works also great!!! Same experience, just fixed bugs and graphics.
Here is the test demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6300089/test.dm_50

(huPoo) #5

Thank you very much =)

(BlackPaw) #6

Can you tell me what end time are you aiming for? And how do you make the map’s timing reset everytime you retry?

BTW I don’t think you will be allowed to use modified exe if you plan on submitting it on SDA

(huPoo) #7

No clue about end time, but so far every map has been faster than in the current record. Booting the game is necessary for timer reset, which is rather annoying. We’re recording demos with normal install, and recording demos to video with iortcw. Might be the main runner caps the whole thing with fraps too if no one else can make faster times than him.

(MauZZR) #8

Funnily enough I came across this thread because I had the same issue trying to put together a single-segment run haha :smiley:

Didn’t think anyone would still be interested in running this game! Good luck to you guys!

(huPoo) #9

Here’s the actual speedrun video finished:

(Mustang) #10

Nice one, any idea how long an unsegmented run would take?

(ETJump-Zero) #11

If you don’t fail it should take less time.