So... How noob friendly is this game?

(bonesplitter) #1

So I found this game ET:QW in my shelves, which I haven’t played in about 5 years and I decided to install it. It seems to work on my OpenSuse installation quite nicely.

Now, I started wondering, this is very old game and probably full of pro players that will just annihilate me. It took me damn 5 minutes to deploy a turret in tutorial. I can’t remember anything about how to play this. Is it worth even trying to start play this game in this time? How experienced is average ET:QW player out there?

Also, there doesn’t seem to be many active servers right now? Is this correct or are there some “hidden” servers?

I’ll maybe try it out later this evening (europe time).

(CaliberWorkz) #2

this is very old game and probably full of pro players that will just annihilate me

Public players now-days are divided to two categories:

Pro Players:ET:QW freaks who are playing ET:QW all day killing n00bz. mostly fake accounts and/or russians.

Noobs:Poor ET:QW players;though professional Obliterator/Rocket Launcher/Hyperblaster/GPMG users. mostly illiterate old men.

Is it worth even trying to start play this game in this time?

If you have the game installed, why not? i still play few times a week. but…
The game suffers terrible and un-playable lags, something about being not supported by ID, i really don’t know…
Atleast 45% of bullets fired are “Unhits” - fake shots the make no damage. excuse my “French”, but it’s frustrating as
F U C K :mad: :mad: :mad:.

Also, there doesn’t seem to be many active servers right now? Is this correct or are there some “hidden” servers?

If you’ll log in at the evening, there will be one full EU server, if you’re lucky, there will be two!
As for the “Hidden” servers… I’m pretty sure there is no such thing.

BTW, the TAW clan are having 12v12 (players) custom maps session every Sunday and Tuesday.

Their website:
http://taw.net/

Hope this helped you :slight_smile:

(Chronicler) #3

As CaliberWorkz said, you are welcome to come and play with TAW EU if you want.

We currently have 27 members with many more incoming.

We play custom maps, vanilla maps etc. Promod, TAmod and base mod.

You can find more information in the clan and competition section of the forum, we can also help you learn the game again.

No need to become a member, you are welcome as a guest to begin with :slight_smile:

See you on the battlefield!

(bonesplitter) #4

Thank you CaliberWorkz and Chronicler for responses.

I played few games now and it was far better than I expected. There were many servers (more than two) with low ping (and some more with high ping). I think it’s pretty easy for a “noob” to get started. The skill level was not too high.

And even though I’m not illiterate old man, I managed to do some good killing with rocket launcher :slight_smile:
Though my team didn’t manage to win any game.

Totally worth the time. I guess I’ll be seen in the battlefields again some time in the next days.

(Rex) #5

So… How noob friendly is this game?

Very noob unfriendly due to its complexity. But at least you will always discover something new to learn.

There are no pro players left in this game, they left long ago already.

It took me damn 5 minutes to deploy a turret in tutorial. I can’t remember anything about how to play this. Is it worth even trying to start play this game in this time? How experienced is average ET:QW player out there?

You can catch up to the the average pub player very quick. The only thing you have to take a closer look at are the maps. As they can seem like a maze for a beginner.

Pub servers: 1 EU, 1 NA server.

And now join TAW! (playing devil’s advocate here :tongue:)

(acekiller345) #6

[QUOTE=Rex;496046]
And now join TAW![/QUOTE]

Most important thing right there!

(retsy) #7

Most players are willing to help a noob out provided you express some interest in learning :slight_smile:
There is a gather every sunday over on The Group Thing server (12:00pm Pacific) - are you Bonesplitter in-game? I’ll keep an eye out for you