Stalemate question

(Danton3d) #1

Hi guys, what happens when you have a complete stalemate situation? I am currently in a game where we both have one character left with minimal health and neither of us are moving from our positions, as moving basically means the other person wins. Is there some way that the game decides it’s a draw after x amount of turns, or does it give a win to the player with the most caps or health?

(Jerry-Rigs) #2

“Do you want to live forever?” - some dumb American jarhead in WW I. Semper Fi.
“It’s better to burn out than to fade away” - The Kurgen, from the movie “The Highlander”
“Live fast, die young, and have a closed casket funeral” - Jerry-Rigs.

Mild response first:
That sounds like a fun game to have gotten to that point.
There is no concept of statement built into the game. You could stand still or go in circles forever and the game would continue.
Some veterans have complained that some maps have built in statements because once you and your opponent reach a certain opening position, advancing past that position will result in a loss.
You can choose to stop playing the match in which case it will time out and your opponent will win and get all the points from the match. In that case, you could claim you “didn’t lose” if that’s important to you.

Joke response:
Have a seat, build a little fire, toast marshmallows and sing KumBaYa with him. Uh, no.
Admit the situation, charge in and die. Then replay the bastard and shove it down his throat that he just got lucky.

(Danton3d) #3

That’s a really dumb design decision…

You would think there would be some sort of default logic built in for situations where neither side does anything for x amount of turns. Like in chess where you have the 50 move rule, or the threefold repetition rule that both lead to forced draws.

For this game it would make sense to either just call it a draw after x amount of inactivity from both sides, or give the win to the side with the most caps.

(tinker) #4

well chess also has the rule that you simply cannot pass without doing anything - so you MUST do something.
the situation in chess, where every possible turn makes your position worse or even lose the game, while doing nothing would grant you an advantage or a win is called “zugzwang” (german word)

but maybe there is a way to win to be figured. make a screenshot, post it, and maybe 1 or 2 will help finding a way / it is the ultimate braingame situation.
there are always 3 options to do, going in, going out, or doing nothing. 1 character on each side, so you can “simply” calculate everything he might do… and thus you can try to finally win it :slight_smile:

(Danton3d) #5

Yes, I am very familiar with zugzwang, as I have played in many chess tournaments and leagues. It is not the same as this sort of scenario though, which is more like a perpetual check situation, even if no-one makes a move.

I don’t think it is worth taking a screenshot of the scenario. We both have a sniper left (I have Sneaky Pete with Botherer and he has Juan with fryer) and I have around 24 health left while he has around 64 I think. We are both in cover near the rocket area. I have 4 caps to his 1, but if I move into the rocket area or anywhere else close by he will be able to get one shot on me to finish the game (even a close range shot with the fryer will be enough). If he moves into the rocket area, then I can also potentially finish him off, or wound him further. It’s a complete stalemate.

(Jerry-Rigs) #6

I forgot. There is a draw. If you can manage to kill both sides in one explosion. I think CIAKGB managed that with a mine that followed his opponent to where he was hiding. I don’t remember the results screen.

Yes, it sounds like it was fun getting to your situation.

My snap assessment based on the info presented: The advantage is yours to do something with (I weight movement over damage):
-The possession clock is on your side 4/1. Even if you abandon the area for a couple turns you wouldn’t be much worse off.
-You have a slight edge in raw movement at 7 vs 6 squares.Plus, he has to stay within range of the scoring zone or you win. You can run around for 2 turns with no worries.
-You are even in a “move/shoot” with 4 squares + 1 shot
-He has an advantage in raw health & damage potential. Assuming good ranges, even with cover he kills you in one shot. You kill him in one shot only if it’s clean (or maybe lucky in red cover). You need a one shot kill because his (expected) counter fire will kill you.

Caveat: I’m an idiot. I can lose to anybody.

(Danton3d) #7

My opponent conceded in the end because he is level 40 and said he didn’t need the coins. Otherwise there was no way to resolve the game without one player letting the other player win.

It’s a pity the game has no way to resolve this type of situation.

(SuperNge) #8

[QUOTE=Danton3d;495105]My opponent conceded in the end because he is level 40 and said he didn’t need the coins. Otherwise there was no way to resolve the game without one player letting the other player win.

It’s a pity the game has no way to resolve this type of situation.[/QUOTE]
Its only can resolve by your calculation :smiley:
Why you dont run 1 round and see what happen…even more far from the center:D sometime you need to step backward:wink:

(Jerry-Rigs) #9

[QUOTE=SuperNge;495163]Its only can resolve by your calculation :smiley:
Why you dont run 1 round and see what happen…even more far from the center:D sometime you need to step backward:wink:[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was suggesting. If its a stalemate, try something weird and you may learn something. If you lose, so what? One game doesn’t determine whose best.

(SuperNge) #10

Thats right! Sometime we need to learn how to lose. Its more important than how to win. Easy to say that but…
I was in the same situation long time ago. I alway try to win but also dont want to lose. Thats is big mistake. And even when you guest you never have a mistake like that you still make it. Very sorry Mitsid.
Hope him forgive:(

(system) #11

Mian Ayaz

Nice Post