Merc Feedback: Redeye

(badman) #1

Now you see him, now you don’t, now he sees you, now you’re dead. Grizzled veteran of the battlefield, Redeye is a master of concealing the visible, and making the invisible dead.

Redeye’s smoke grenades create clouds of screening concealment, blinding his enemies and hiding his teammates. His infrared eyepatch lets him spot enemies for his entire team, and he can use his Harvey-Cantius M4-10 Battle Rifle to drop them from distance.

Tactical tip: Smoke Grenade, Infrared vision: they’re just made for one another.

Please post your thoughts about Red Eye in this thread. Here are a few questions to think about when putting together your feedback:

1. Is Redeye fun to play?
  2. Is Redeye’s ability fun to use?
  3. Does Redeye fill a useful role within the team?
  4. How would you improve Redeye?

(badman) #2

Feedback from the Nexon forums so far:

Originally posted by Prettzl:
I picked Red Eye up today and played a few rounds against a couple people who used him.

First major thing I noticed is that his IR ability makes him clearly visible through any amount of smoke, making a visible marker for a clean headshot very easy.

I really like his main gun a lot it’s probably my favorite non-ability weapon in the game right now.

If class specific objective times are put back in the game then I could see people switching between Red Eye and Thunder for hacking objectives and general area of denial support.

Otherwise it’d be a matter of weapon choices as his ability currently is a major handicap.

Originally posted by Scarhand:

1. No, his zoom on sights is too much for him to be good in close ranges and his recoil is much too high for the more far range you expect.
  2. It is very interesting, and though I personally wont be using it a lot, other players may to use it a lot. I think this is what SD is going for in their mercs, so it’s good.
  3. His smoke grenades might help with a repair job, but they still feel pretty limited in use since only he can see through them but he can be seen easily through them.
  4. Lower his recoil and damage, and cap his fire rate more. Do something to make his ideal range a little less ambiguous. Make his eye just a little bit harder to see through the smoke as well.

Originally posted by Djiesse:
It’s fun to finally see a merc with a tactical ability not directly geared towards dealing damage.

Few cosmetic problems I noticed:

[list]
[li]Some of his textures are pretty bad: even with everything on high, the lettering behind the sights of his rifle is an unreadable blurry mess (totally obvious when you IS), and the patches on his arms are not much better when you zoom-in in the customization menu (while similar things on most other mercs are much crisper).
[/li]> [li]He uses the same animation for his nade as Fragger which doesn’t make sense since his smokes can’t be cooked. You can keep the nade primed as long as you want, he’ll just cycle through that count again and again. He should be using Thunder’s nade animation or a custom one.
[/li]> [li]Where is the kukri? The man wields that iconic weapon on all his pictures, it’s modeled on the player model, but in game you get the same old knife as the other CovOps… :([/li]

Originally posted by Snotling:
Nice character with a funny and tactical play style. His rifle has a really big recoil though but I enjoyed playing him so far.

Originally posted by FireWorks:
I dont think he should have the headshot instagib ability. I faced him a lot more often in closer ranges than the other snipers and it felt a bit weird to be unable to revive fallen mates then.
+1 on lowering recoil and damage, but also take away the gib headshot.

Love bringing Vassili against him :slight_smile:

(k1ruaa) #3

I tried it and I actually find him really fun to play. He is probably the ‘funniest’ merc to use so far both of his abilities work really well together. His gun is powerful as he can kill most of the mercs in 3 body shot but he seems to have a lot of spread when firing to fast. I think maybe a little less powerful and a little less spread would be nice.
He is really good at defending choke points with his smoke, obviously or even objectives like advanced spawns where enemies need to be clumped.
Can surely be good offensively too especially against well placed turrets but it’s a little bit harder.

Great job on this merc.

(sYnceD) #4

I just want to mention that, with the new release of Kira, RedEye’s twitchy play style with a hard hitting semi rifle becomes pretty useless unless you’re using him for objective control with his smoke. One thing that will fix him is if you take the cap off the fire rate, similar to the pistol, and reduce the spread a very little amount, currently Kira is the same type of playstyle and her gun is just completely nuts in-comparison to RedEye’s which they both are technically the same thing, only difference is Kira’s gun literally one shots in the head with a good solid burst with little to no spread, while RedEye’s gun struggles to keep a decent center point on the spread, and there is even a cap on how fast you can fire the gun.

(tokamak) #5

The smoke effect looks nice but the impact is underwhelming. Smoke doesn’t stay long enough, isn’t thick enough and the area covered is too small as well.

The heat vision is awesome and already extremely powerful on it’s own.

(tokamak) #6

Enemy identification should happen faster the enemies are near the crosshair. Players will already instinctively try to make it go faster by looking directly at them and they should be rewarded for doing so.

(Erkin31) #7

Like it. Each ability are useful for him and the team. And the combination of abilities is fun, like in a moba.
His weapon is good but it has too many spread. I would prefer less spread but more recoil. You can control the recoil when you shoot, not the spread (except in cs, where spread follows a pattern).

(Mustang) #8

I’ve never played CS, so could you explain how you can control spread if you follow a pattern, seems highly improbable to me, more likely you’re using the wrong word for what you’re talking about.

(Erkin31) #9

In CS, weapons have spread (to be sure not to use the wrong word, what I call spread is when bullets don’t hit where the crosshair is).
But for each weapon, the spread will follow the same specific pattern, it’s not random. So you can move your crosshair to compensate the spread.

//youtu.be/Pa5QfRNlSp0

I’m not a big fan of this but it’s better than a totally random spread.

I have never checked on Extraction if the spread follow a pattern, I assume that if this was the case, many people would have already reported this on the forum. :slight_smile:

(Glottis-3D) #10

this was discussed before, and xT doesnt have any fixed pattern. full random in a spread-cone.

(k0k0nat) #11

And this is what makes playing red eye horrible.
He is designed to give us the feeling of an old ET M1 Garand, but you are forced to us IS in almost every situation.

No IS = Mega Random Full Retard Spread
IS = Mega Recoil

(Glottis-3D) #12

[QUOTE=k0k0nat;497312]And this is what makes playing red eye horrible.
He is designed to give us the feeling of an old ET M1 Garand, but you are forced to us IS in almost every situation.

No IS = Mega Random Full Retard Spread
IS = Mega Recoil[/QUOTE]
i suggested spread system for SD to use with more weight for more central shots - so that the feel woundnt be so full retard. but they didnt want to use weighted shots =( though it is much more natural and logical (unlike CS system - it is skillfull, but very unnatural.).
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/39428-SPREAD-pattern-(hit-distribution-inside-the-cone)

thread is closed though.

(Erkin31) #13

In an arcade FPS, I think the system that is the most fun/skilled should be used and random should be banned.

For me, even the random spread system is not natural and logical. The bullets do not come straight from the barrel :slight_smile: Red orchestra and killing floor have a system natural and logical (crosshair/weapon is not fixed at the center of the screen).
Anyway, CS is played by a lot of people (second position, behind DOTA 2, on steam and the biggest success for the FPS esport on PC). So the PC gamers are ready for a such kind of system and will not be shocked by this.

About Redeye, mr.Funky is really good with it, with no ironsight. And he shoots with a high candence !

(MrFunkyFunk) #14

Coming back after a 5 months hiatus, it’s great to discover a merc like RedEye.
All I wanted from an agressive/obj recon character, great synergy all around, haven’t had this much fun in Xt running around and gunning people for a long time.
Using the smoke to bypass hot spots and relying on the IR vision when things get a bit messy is fun; I want to say “good job SD!”.

If anything I can agree on is that he shouldn’t necessarily get the instagib from hs that all the recons get (well I like it but I can understand the frustration from some).

Altough apparently he isn’t very loved by many, among various complaints he’s for people (people being a placeholder for “noobs” or “lucky mofos”) from cs/hl-mods who can’t track properly wink wink.

(Glottis-3D) #15

agreed on 1headshot-gib kills. he aint no sniper. he need 2 shots (1hs + 1 body) to kill imo

(MrFunkyFunk) #16

Well on many full hp targets he does needs more than one headshot, I meant that victims should get incapped from RedEye main gun headshots (unlike other recons).

(PixelTwitch) #17

I feel that a MAXIMUM firerate should be introduced in order to balance the class at close range due to his high spread…

At close range it is too easy to spam your whole clip not aimed at a guy and get that HS gib… this both makes Redeye frustrating to play against when being used by low skill players and also is hard for people without the full crosshair to understand exactly where his aim at during this moment…

Rather than reducing damage or spread I feel a firerate cap would deliver the best of both worlds…

1, Reducing the close range low skill random headshot spam
2, Slower build up of wide spread over time.
3, Makes the Merc a little easier to learn as a new player.

Right now he just feels cheap… I would rather face a shotgun at 5 feet then a redeye.

(modded) #18

Redeye’s problem is that he’s a sniper with no business sniping. His recoil too high to maintain consistent shots at range, his gun is subpar and medium range and the

@ Above poster, I’ll take on red eye up close with a shotty any day. Either stay moving to let his absurd recoil/spread kick in, or pop in and out of cover to take advantage of a shotty’s high burst damage.

(k0k0nat) #19

Quick response:

• His weapon-dmg is extremely high, even OP.
  • Has the worst recoil in the game
  • You are forced to play him with Ironsight in EVERY situation, doesnt matter if long-range or close combat. His recoil is only controllable with Ironsight and a high mouse-sensivity. Don’t really like this.
  • The smoke should be much thicker. Is too easy to spot players trough the smoke.
  • Let him carry 2 smoke grenades and higher the cooldown instead.

(Alchemy) #20

His really good, maybe OP, but i like the way his abilities have synergy which both his own spell + others (heartbeat sent, aura+smoke on CPs. etc)