[MAP RELEASE] Dingenskirchen - a tribute

(KeMoN) #1

Dingenskirchen - A Tribute

Story

December 1944: The noose tightens around the Reich’s neck as Allied forces threaten to cross the Siegfried Line and advance into Germany. In a strategy meeting in an Eifel castle, Kraut high command has worked out plans on how to repel the invaders.
Allied intelligence wants these plans destroyed before they can be distributed to the front line.

>>>> For more information please proceed to the beta 9 release post.

(twt_thunder) #2

could you please upload it somewhere else? like our site ex. cant download it here since it awaits authorization

EDIT: here

http://www.thewolfteam.org/upload.php

(Runeforce) #3

Judging from the screenshots, it looks visually stunning!

(Magic) #4

The screenshots looks very promising - cant wait to get home from work to jump inside this level.
Looks like quality work.

(Dragonji) #5

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v82b3nc2ofnf8do/dingenskirchen_b1.zip

(twt_thunder) #6

thx will put it our downloads too, the map looks great from screenshots

EDIT: another download:

http://www.thewolfteam.org/download.php?view.70

(Micha) #7

Map looks awesome, I will use it for infected mod for sure :slight_smile:

EDIT
Can someone do omnibot waypoints please? :smiley:

(Mateos) #8

Argh, with the current connection I have I can’t download it _

Will test it ASAP, it looks too eye-candy o Nice work on shaders and like the level design :smiley: Lighting is also well designed!

(KeMoN) #9

Thanks for the comments, tell me what you think once you gave it a try ingame.

As for bot waypoints: A waypoint-file has been forwarded to the omnibot devs, hoping they will create a proper script for it, as the sole waypoints are useless without it.

Wow, great job, really great job, haha :wink:

(zbzero) #11

Amazing work. really good!! looks great.

the only thing i saw is some fps drops, idk why.
Maybe do some optimizations could help.

(twt_thunder) #12

ok, Had a run today at it.
-overall bad fps
great gfx and great buildings and…yeah great map

bugs:
flameshader prob missing
and somthing wrong with shader on armor?

(wh_te) #13

Great work guys!

Now I’m gonna be an ass for some of you.
But please consider removing of the Nazi symbols in the next release (with axis or something)

For three reasons.
In some countrys this is prohibited by law, including my own (so players might get in troubles worst case scenario)
Some people might find this very disturbing or offensive.
Young childern also play this game, and I don’t think parents will allow this.

Overal I just don’t think it is wise to add this in such an awesome map.

I will test run it on our servers (www.quarkclan.com) in the next beta release.
I hope you guys replace the images in this release with fictional nazi/axis.

I myself have no problems with this, but we run a huge community and I am sure some people have.

Also, the map size in really big which makes it nearly impossible to run on big servers (huge player loss)
I have no idea if this can be smallered drasticly (20mb +/-)

I thank you in advance and for your work!

Wh_Te

(Mateos) #14

Good evening,

I have not the feel the map is that large: when you have maps like MML Minas Tirith widely played for the sake of the K/D ratio, well, the size isn’t the biggest matter map-wise, I’m sure everyone got lost in Battery building when they discovered the game for instance :stuck_out_tongue: The objective in the limbo are clearly pointed with cams and icons on the Command Map.

After retrieving it from my college connection today I have tested it, and heh, I created a little album over at IMGUR for the feedback :slight_smile:

Here you go: http://imgur.com/a/fFWaY

I have few more elements in mind I haven’t put there, such as the lit little burnings behind the torches (I guess a surfaceparm nolightmap for them would do the trick, it is noticeable only in r_lightmap 1 mode fyi).

As I have pointed in my album, I think there is an optimization marge which isn’t negligible, I will check further with r_showtris 2.

Edit: Oh, and AWESOME trick above the water surrounding the place!

Edit 2: And btw now I may actually play it and just not look at all the details and beauty of the place xD

Edit 3:

Here the flames (torches?) are fine (nothing yellow in the console, clean etmain also), and I don’t see any visual prob with the armors; Will forward a screen on my IMGUR.

(ETJump-Zero) #15

[QUOTE=Mateos;490721]…[/QUOTE] I think he meant the .pk3 size. It’s HUGE.

On topic: map looks really awesome!

(Mateos) #16

[QUOTE=ETJump-Zero;490723]I think he meant the .pk3 size. It’s HUGE.

On topic: map looks really awesome![/QUOTE]

Ah yes, there’s a (20mb +/-) note, sorry ^^’

Well, most of the size comes from the maps (lightmaps are 1024x1024, the max for a nice and detailed shadowing, above is overkill and maybe not have benefits) and textures (high quality textures, see the thanks to part of the read me to understand ^^) folders.

I try to limit my maps between 6 and 12 MB (I’ve been able to have more content in a reduced package in term of size for a map, playing with shaders and files), but it’s not easy; It’s even harder when you want to have a great visual quality and variety.

Praetoria reaches 30 or 40 MB IIRC, this one is 50, I feel it is worth it, even if it is large… Now, it’s up to admins :smiley:

(Loffy) #17

Great looking map, I really like the snow and the shadows. Reminds me a bit of the map Transmitter. Also, an overall great RtCW-feel to it. Job well done. As Mateos says, the pk3 is rather large (70 Mb) and there is a significant fps drop due to too many details (see Mateos’ 5th image, tris count over 100k). I can create some basic, simple Omni-bot files if you want.

(ETJump-Zero) #18

[QUOTE=Mateos;490725]Ah yes, there’s a (20mb +/-) note, sorry ^^’

Well, most of the size comes from the maps (lightmaps are 1024x1024, the max for a nice and detailed shadowing, above is overkill and maybe not have benefits) and textures (high quality textures, see the thanks to part of the read me to understand ^^) folders.

I try to limit my maps between 6 and 12 MB (I’ve been able to have more content in a reduced package in term of size for a map, playing with shaders and files), but it’s not easy; It’s even harder when you want to have a great visual quality and variety.

Praetoria reaches 30 or 40 MB IIRC, this one is 50, I feel it is worth it, even if it is large… Now, it’s up to admins :D[/QUOTE]I don’t think having HD textures is necessary though. The map would look really nice even without in my opinion at least. It’s just indeed kind of problematic that most people don’t really want to spent anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes downloading a single map. I would release a version with less high quality textures. Maybe have both?

EDIT: I don’t know… I could just walk around this map and enjoy the view. Totally worth + 100 MB. Really awesome looking map :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #19

^^’

(Mateos) #20

Some maps have a lite version, it could be something to consider… Depends on the map reception around the web and among players. If there is a certain number of people finding the map too large in terms of physical disk space download-wise, it could be given a try; Up to mapper and community in a way :slight_smile: