Alien: Isolation

(.FROST.) #1

In an abandoned space-station no one can hear you scream

After this gigantic desaster, that was A:CM, I’m a bit hesitant to get totally hyped once again, but so far I’ve seen nothing, but awesome screenshots, convincing character designs and engaging ingame footage, of this upcoming game to my most favorite movie series of all times. (There was also a great and very indepth article in the latest issue of Edge magazine)

Aside from the top notch ingame material, I got very convinced about the devs themselfs. They instantly got me, when one of them said in an interview, that they wanted this “…mechanical push button feel…” to all of the ingame assets and that they would focus on a more brown and mustard yellow color palette. They also stated, that they got over 3 terrabytes of never before seen behind the scenes and production material from 20th Century Fox.

Of course all of this would be worth nothing in the hands of the Pitchfords and Mikey Newmans of our time, but the franchise is back where it has its origin and where people really understand its very nature; in a way that is obviously kinda “alien” to the guys over there in Hollywood and the states. The Alien franchise is, and allways was, for the most part, a european product and I’m very confident, that Creative Assembly is aware of their responsibility torwards the fans of the franchise and their opportunity to create a real classic, people may even remember 20-30 years from now. I really wish that the story and the characters are going to be so good, that A:I will be considered the unoffical 5th part in the series. At least I have never seen a game to a movie series, that looked so impressive and stayed so true to it’s very roots, like Alien: Isolation.

Now it’s up to you Amanda Ripley; you have the power to save this franchise, or drag it even further down with you. I wish you the best of luck.

This is Frost, a frickin huge fan, signing off.

//youtu.be/VXFBsvg61f0

(tokamak) #2

Brings me back to the 90’s where developers still had a lot of room to experiment with big budget games. Even if it’s a turd, I’m glad they tried capturing the feel of a very distinct and unique movie.

(Beebi_Gun) #3

Wait, being long is bad ?? You better be long as you will-- 'cause I’m pretty sure the money I’ll put into it won’t mind.
I hope that that alien isn’t really so much scripted and predictable; though I have to admit it looks fearsome as hell. :eek:

I’ll probably cry while playing it.

(.FROST.) #4

[QUOTE=Beebi_Gun;489820]Wait, being long is bad ?? You better be long as you will-- 'cause I’m pretty sure the money I’ll put into it won’t mind.
I hope that that alien isn’t really so much scripted and predictable; though I have to admit it looks fearsome as hell. :eek:

I’ll probably cry while playing it.[/QUOTE]

I’m really a die hard Alien fan, and as much as I wish this game would last forever(if it’s any good), I have to agree with the guy from videogamer.com. Longer isn’t allways better; especially in a game like this, that is suppossed to be as true to its celluloid predecessor, as possible. Even Ridley Scott cut off a couple seconds, or even minutes in the directors cut of Alien, instead of adding another half hour or so.

I think 10hrs. is the maximum this game should last. Sure you could make it into something like Dead Space and add a couple more RPG elements on top of that, but that wouldn’t necessarily let the game stand out of the crowd of nonsensical dragged out games. There are enough sandboxes out there I don’t feel the need for yet another one. I’d rather pay more, in relation to the games length, than less for a dragged out game. If I just wanna play my brain out, I still have enough other games. This time around I want the true Alien experience; suspenseful and tense and not the Xeno version of Angry Birds dragged out for 15+ hrs, just to justify the 40-60 bucks; depending on your favorite platform.

I’d pay 40€ for a 7-8hrs game if it would really deliver on the authenticity and tension front. And last, but not least, a solid and convincing story, experienced with, and thru, relateable characters.

(Beebi_Gun) #5

I agree with you here. Mind you 8h-10h is already a long game for a survival horror IMHO. Though, if memory doesn’t fail me, they said they wanted or expected 3h-4h; that’s a tad too short IMO.

Sure dragged out games, will just feel repetitive and boring. In the case of survival horrors, you’ll just get used to the “horror” and will no longer be scared, other than just wanting to finish it already no matter how; probably just rushing in and going more annoyed too for how many times you’ve died. :tongue: There are many ways to keep it suspenseful, scary,and solid overall. Developers just need to come up with new ideas as to how to surprise the player and create interactions without using the same basic jumpscares; those momentary desperate scripted escapes; etc.

40 bucks for a 7h-8h game is very reasonable lol truly (as long as it’s good). But 60 bucks (which is what I expect this game to be) for a 3h-4h game would feel cheated. Would be using the brand to milk those out of the fans badly; cough MGSV:groundzeroes cough… =P I would totally buy anyway.

The Last Of Us < I can’t consider it a survival horror - seemed dragged out to me too; and those infected stopped giving me the chills way too early in the game. And everything was so freaking scripted that on my second playthrough I could tell everything and flamethrower my way out of almost any situation by the end of it, sometime punch XD. Even on my first I could tell how the enemy would behave very easily. Yes sometimes they’d surprise you from behind but only very rarely and after a few times, you stop caring anyway. At least it was a good game.

Dead Space was-- just creepy, and full of jumpscares all the time. Those things are nasty but that’s it. I yet keep buying them all, I wonder why.

All in all I just want to feel a so high of a tension to cut my breath deep. I definitely expect it to deliver the feeling that I won’t be wanting to make any move with the character out of fear. =P Sure, don’t fill the game with more of the same crap to make it long but boring. But sure hope they do what they can to make it as long as possible and yet enjoyable; even if as long as possible to be enjoyable is 5h long, hope not though.

(.FROST.) #6

I also agree with all you’ve said, even with all the TLoU stuff. It was too long and too scripted, but funny enough, not really focused on the core idea. They could’ve easilly cut 3 hrs from the game and make it a more tense and emotional experience, than the dragged out puzzle adventure it tended to get at times. After all it was still a great, great game though(just loaded the latest SP DLC).

I had two huge problems with DS; even already in the first part of the series. #1, the game was way too long, and that in kind of a repetitive way. And secondly, many/most of the enemies were very bad designed imo. Some just looked laughable and the others were just too bizzar, to be cool, or scary. It was less Giger(bio-mechanic, stylish, scary and still convincing) and more Clive Barker(bizzar and with gallons of blood and guts) mixed with the Resident Evil recipe of Zombie-mutants, which I hate to the core(sry in advance, if you happen to be a RE fan, but I’m pretty narrow when it comes to Zombies).

(Beebi_Gun) #7

Amusedly, the badly designed ones are what creeped me out the most, especially with the wonky way they moved. Not scary, just really creepy.

WHAT ?!! You dare talk ill about Resident Evil-- ur a noob who noes nutin 'bout real games, dood! …you, YOU monster !!
—lol don’t worry about it, I’m not a RE fan :tongue: Well, not THAT kind of fan. I have to admit I like the very first ones and some following. And I’m pretty sure you know this but it wasn’t always like it is now; I guess it doesn’t destroy the franchise completely, it just threw it down the sink. Though I wouldn’t be offended in any way, heck, its not my game :tongue: and even if it was I’m used to be open to criticism.

But then, you’re sort of like me, I guess. I also tend to nitpick a lot with the zombies’ designs and I’m not too fond of the mutant-types of them. Talk how they ruined RE the game-- (and the movie for that matter; but that’s another story). Now, they make The Evil Within; does not seem to be my favourite kind of horror either, these SAW-like ***** always make me laugh the hell out of it, but we’ll see how it goes. I haven’t seen enough of it. :cool:

(rookie1) #8

How Scary is Alien Isolation?:rolleyes:
[video=youtube_share;7EWe69vP1pA]http://youtu.be/7EWe69vP1pA[/video]

(.FROST.) #9

Ash speaks to Creative Assembly about their attempt to produce a true Alien sequel in video-game format :wink:

//youtu.be/6-gJMs6DwuE

(retsy) #10

Despite all of the hype and failed game predecessors I kinda still want to play it… but I kinda wanted to play deadspace. Turns out it was way too scary for me and I had to quit the game.

(.FROST.) #11

Can’t tell how hype I am for that game :eek:

//youtu.be/2scYG2pzzY8

(.FROST.) #12

//youtu.be/G6pHM6DVG5o

(.FROST.) #13

//youtu.be/5gELXZJ0Onc

(andygill) #14

I found the trailers to be incredible. Will love to play the game on the release, and till then will pre order.

(.FROST.) #15

OMFG, IT’S REAL AND I’M HOLDING IT IN MY HANDS RIGHT NOW!!! Can’t wait to finally play it with Steam’s blessing.

//youtu.be/1fxE6C-m9Og

(Loffy) #16

My first 1.30 hours of this well-made, worth-the-buy (so far), smooth framerate, single-player sci-fi horror:
Link to a copy of my hitbox.tv stream
(Thx for dropping by the broadcast rebb. \o/)

(montheponies) #17

Not a big fan of SP games nowadays, but would much prefer 4-6hrs of good original gameplay than 20hrs of repeated dross. Will probably give it a go once it’s on sale.

In terms of the films, Aliens is one of my top 5 movies - but the directors cut is mince, adding no value and clumsily explaining everything that the original had left out on purpose. The other movies were OK to poor.

(Mustang) #18

[QUOTE=Loffy;511786]My first 1.30 hours of this well-made, worth-the-buy (so far), smooth framerate, single-player sci-fi horror:
Link to a copy of my hitbox.tv stream
(Thx for dropping by the broadcast rebb. \o/)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link, I particularly enjoyed the part with Jonesy, the hitbox player is so bad though.

(Loffy) #19

And here is Part 2 of my quest: Link to part 2 | This time on twitch
I used Twitch for this second part, to facilitate comparison between the hitbox player and the twitch player.

(iwound) #20

Slow going game but im enjoying it.
They even had the derelict from LV-426 scene. Not much to play in that bit just walk it.

[video=youtube_share;fZsEydvGQu8]http://youtu.be/fZsEydvGQu8?list=UUAR-YGOtrKhWgrfovvqq15Q[/video]