Blending Terrian .. shaders

(WuTangH) #1

Hey guys,

I started making “hand-made” terrain in GTK, so Im also learning how to blend it.
Ive read Simonoc manual and saw a video… I think I understood how to make it in GTK…
But those shaders are a mess…
Here he shows alpha_000 and alpha_100 shaders (scripts…)…
Are those shaders already added somewhere? Or I add them to my map .shader file?

And then here they say to use new version of terrain textures…
Mine looks like this… will it work with these, too? To me it looks like just few lines were added…
And Im little afraid what these // in terrain2 shader will do

textures/common/terrain
{
	q3map_terrain
	surfaceparm grasssteps
	surfaceparm nodraw
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	surfaceparm nomarks
}

textures/common/terrain2
{
	q3map_terrain
//	surfaceparm dust
	surfaceparm grasssteps
	surfaceparm nodraw
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	surfaceparm nomarks
}

:stroggtapir:

(Mateos) #2

You skipped the first tutorial page, which has the download link for the resources used in the tutorial:
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles/terrain2_1.htm

[QUOTE=WuTangH;487886]And then here they say to use new version of terrain textures…
Mine looks like this… will it work with these, too? To me it looks like just few lines were added…
And Im little afraid what these // in terrain2 shader will do

textures/common/terrain
{
	q3map_terrain
	surfaceparm grasssteps
	surfaceparm nodraw
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	surfaceparm nomarks
}

textures/common/terrain2
{
	q3map_terrain
//	surfaceparm dust
	surfaceparm grasssteps
	surfaceparm nodraw
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	surfaceparm nomarks
}

:stroggtapir:[/QUOTE]

terrain textures are the old way, with the PCX file and stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

(WuTangH) #3

and how does this pcx works? I see that textures are replaced with colors in a image… but thats alL I know about it :frowning:

(Mateos) #4

I don’t know how to bind a color from the pcx to a shader, sorry :confused:

But this is the old method, you should use SimonOC one for manual building, it’s more powerful and accurate if you want to change a texture (or calculate which triangles you need to recolor on the PCX by counting them in the map…).

(Magic) #5

also have a look at Raybans foliage example - easy to understand.
The mapsource,textures and shaders is inside pk3.

Foliage Example

(WuTangH) #6

Oki, thx for help guys… I will try these things… :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #7

Oh btw if you go by the SimonOC way, you don’t need to set both 0 and 100% brushes: if you set on a side let’s say the 0% one, the game will deduct the other side is 100%. Will save you time :smiley:

(Teuthis) #8

good Chance for me to jump on this post. I have blended some custom textures in my map and wonder now whether or not I have to include the alpha textures from Simonoc in the pk3 file. I guess I don’t need it,but woudl be good to know? other than that, am I right that all I Need to put in my Pk3 is the shader that blends the textures, right?

thanks

(Mateos) #9

You don’t need to include them, they’re like common textures :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to include the related shaders!

(Teuthis) #10

I have a quick question. when I compile my map the bugfix window Shows me that I have a series of blended Terrain brushes declared as ‘duplicate planes’. I first thought that I accidentally duplicated them and that they are now lying on top of each other. But this is not the case and they exist only one time. I can compile the map and Play it so I wonder whether I just should ignore this. Did anyone experience this before too with blended Terrain brushes?

thanks
Teuthis

(Magic) #11

Make a copy/backup of your mapfile and then do the brush cleanup - let the brushes that comes up still be selected and run cleanup again.
Got this myself from time to time when i do all the terrain manual - a lot of adjusting brushes.
Those errors are also selectable in the error window after compiling - just select them from the window.
Hope this helps.

(Mateos) #12

One time I had to search in a text editor for the culprit triangle, deleted it, tested afterward: no more message during the compilation.

I have redone it manually 3 times, 3 times the error came back… So I just ignore it for this particular map x)

In case this happens to someone else :slight_smile: