All maps on some servers ?

(BomBaKlaK) #1

So due to the massive size of the community (there is always only 1 server running) I propose to put all the maps on 1 or 2 server (Obj &SW), normal rotation maps and alphas maps, with only the new LB (2 LB is not good).

Maybe that can help to make the game less boring with old and new content mixed.

• Trainyard
  • LB alternative
  • Waterloo
  • Canary Warf
  • White chappel
  • Battersea

I think that can help a lot.

(Glottis-3D) #2

…and a vote map! :slight_smile:

(Kl3ppy) #3

Not in this stage, bad maps would get skipped every time. SD needs data (echo and feedback) to improve the maps.

(Glottis-3D) #4

to improve map you need literary feedback much more. which they will have.

(Kl3ppy) #5

I’m on your side here, I believe feedback from players should have a higher priority than just “stupid” data from echo. Especially when it comes down to map design, objective design. Echo can show chokepoints, unused areas etc, but it cant deign maps.

But skipping maps is not a good option because then you don’t get quality feedback besides “the map sucks big time”

(Glottis-3D) #6

but, bad mapa turn ppl off the game. and some maps are predestined to be great and others are not.

i mean it is better for a game to have 1 great map, than 10 mediocre (let alone bad) ones

To me, out of 4 maps i played. Only 2 can be good ones.

1. Whitechapel with church, and with some huge redo of last part (lift/doc run) and with some small additions at EV to avoid choke-points.
  2. Waterloo(pre v27739) with some adjustment of hack obj, and some tweaking of last obj.

(Kl3ppy) #7

[QUOTE=krokodealer;487619]but, bad mapa turn ppl off the game. and some maps are predestined to be great and others are not.

i mean it is better for a game to have 1 great map, than 10 mediocre (let alone bad) ones[/QUOTE]

You are completely right with the maps. But you forget that the maps/game are still in the making, so feedback is needed. I believe that bad maps need more feedback to improve them, and more feedback means that the maps need to be played and voteskip does not help in generating.
Maybe it would be smarter this way:
Release a map, let the map play. Get feedback and when its overall negative (but also constructive because just saying map sucks isn’t constructive and helpful). When SD think they know how to improve the map they should take the map out of the cycle. When they have a new version, bring it back.

(tokamak) #8

Sure you’d expect testers will keep grinding through whatever crap they’re served but people don’t tick that way and if particularly bad maps come up people tend to realise they’ve got more important things to do.

We should also realise that it’s not just the maps that need changing. The game itself needs a lot more man hours into it to get a better idea of how the classes characters and more importantly general mobility and shooting functions.

If map voting generates more hours playtime then I’m all for it. Besides, there’s plenty of voting systems that prevent the same maps constantly being played. Like voting weights that increase every time a map isn’t played. Eventually that map gathers so much weight that it only takes one person to gather a 50% vote and win. How fast the voting weights start to tip the balance can be adjusted by the devs. If they feel a particular map should be played more then they can already change the rate at which it gains weight.

That way you get the best of both worlds. All maps get some exposure, yet the players feel more in control of how they spent their time. Most importantly the maps that are most representative of the game get the most playing time. This also means that statistics aren’t skewed by maps that are less representative of the intended finished product.

And the voting statistics have to count for something as well. No more one-time polling or odd phrases, just constant surveying of the players at play.

(Glottis-3D) #9

im with tokamak here

(Rex) #10

A voting function for maps would only lead to abusive behaviour where people skip maps they don’t like. I would like to remind you that we are here to test, that means everything and not just something we like.

(prophett) #11

Obviously no votemap but I agree with the original suggestion.

Please put all maps on one rotation. I still haven’t gotten a chance to play battersea or the new London bridge because those servers have been empty.

(tokamak) #12

Not under what I propose.

The most popular servers in shooters always have map voting on. The diversity of the map cycles is something you can adjust as an admin. The main boon is that the players feel more in control of how they spent their time.

The added flexibility will lead to more play-time for testing per day, including the less popular maps.

(shaftz0r) #13

callvote shuffle and start please… :stuck_out_tongue:

also gonna have to agree with OP