ai no sight problem....

(kat) #1

I’m having this strange problem with brushwork covered in the common > AI NO SIGHT texture… it works, as in the bots can’t see you when behind it, that’s not the problem… it’s not being compiled properly (I think) and objects that get covered with it (crates and objects to hide behind) appear ingame with big chunks missing or completely shrouded in a black ‘blur’… any ideas whats happening?? (using wolf only GTK 1.2.1)

(krekits) #2

What q3map version are you using? Try the version that comes with 1.2.9 or even Ydnar’s modified version, available from http://www.shaderlab.com.

(kat) #3

D’oh…!! and here I am with 1.2.9 installed on my system…!! (the entities apear ‘funky’ which is why I don’t use it…!) :roll:

(kat) #4

I remember now why I don’t use 1.2.9 over 1.2.1, lighting, you have to do a lot more work to get the lighting to work. I just did a test compile -vis -light, and the maps all but pitch black where as 1.2.1 -vis -light gets it how it needs to be - I could do more work to get it right but that’d use more time than I’ve got…!

1.2.9 renders mist and fogs better, much ‘smoother’ transitions although it does seem to decrease the fps a bit.

(sock) #5

Generally you only use AI_NO_SIGHT in tricky situation. I would recommend using AI_NO_SIGHT like BOT DO_NOT_ENTER. Probably use it only when you really need it.

The original maps used lots of AI_MARKER entities dotted around strange architecture and shapes. You can then direct AI creatures to certain points via the AI script. Like if the AI creature does not see the player then move to a certain position and wait. These sort of things can be built into the AI script and work better than AI_NO_SIGHT brushes.

AI creatures can respond to alot of different states and conditions and checking through the original AI files will give you alot of clues.

Sock
3D Brush Monkey

(SCDS_reyalP) #6

is ai_no_sight one of those shaders that needs to have surfparm trans in it with new q3maps ? It doesn’t in my 1.2.9 install.

/me is soooo glad rtcw mp doesn’t have bot support.